Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

"Indecent" shorts??

To disable ads, please log-in.

So how do I actually determine if a pair of shorts is worn enough to give the dreaded yes-that-is-skin-you-see-right-through-look? Short of actually getting my dh or a girlfriend to ride behind me and check?

I'm wearing my oldest and shortest shorts today cos it's blazingly hot, and I just got asked if I want company on my commute home. I'm not sure I do...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

When you start getting lots of compliments on your shorts, that's how I found out about the first pair.

Nowadays I hold them up to a light and scan the fabric. If they allow more -it should be obvious- light in some patches than others and the patches aren't in g rated spots it's time pull them from the line-up or at least wear them with under tights or knickers.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I was told by a rider behind me...

But if you have a long mirror in the house, you can check each side. It wasn't obvious when I was standing, but when I bent over, assuming a riding position, I could see the bare spots.
    Beth

I once was sweeping a ride for my friend. The guy in front of me had a serious case of "indecent" shorts. He was an old friend of my friend and I told her; she had her husband say something to him.
    It was very embarrassing for me to be behind him all the way up several hills on that ride!

A friend of my DH is in his 70's and is an amazing rider and all around character. He wears shorts that are translucent in the back. He says the ladies like it.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

In case anybody was wondering (you probably weren't ) - I did have company on my commute home, via a hill first, but I tried to not bend over tooo flat when positioned right in front of this nice, gentlemanly colleague of mine. Got home wondering if I'd accidentally given him an eyeful anyway and asked my dh to check. He happily did, and pronounced my shorts safe to wear in public.

Funny thing: on our way home we were passed by a large guy riding very fast, very sweaty and with seriously translucent shorts. From several metres away.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    ... a large guy riding very fast, very sweaty and with seriously translucent shorts
    The image is seered in my brain!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Ha! I rode behind this old, retired guy, and the same thing.

At this point, I know my shorts or bleached grey in the fanny area from all the riding in the sun, but thankfully, not transulcent. Now I know why Pearl Izumi shorts cost 2x as much as other shorts! Quality of fabric...

my friend and I have a pact, we will watch each others backs for that very reason.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    when my shorts become a little too revealing, they go into my winter shorts drawer, and are only worn under tights.

This is a sincere question from someone who hasn't owned any shorts long enough to become translucent.

If the exterior is so worn out, isn't the chamois more than worn out and ineffective?
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I noticed this with a couple of peeps on my tri. They were going quite fast past me, but I still felt like shutting my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    If the exterior is so worn out, isn't the chamois more than worn out and ineffective?
    I try to commute every day by bike, but my commute isn't always that long, so the state of the chamois isn't always that important but it's nice to have as many shorts as possible to switch around.
    But I'm thinking it may have more to do with the quality of the shorts (lycra thickness), the colour (grey is not black!) and how tight they are then how old the shorts are.