Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: $$ shorts rash

$$ shorts rash

To disable ads, please log-in.

Purchased my first pair of PI microsensor shorts Saturday afternoon and after about 15 miles on Sunday I was uncomfortable and developed a sore/raw spot. Normally, i use PI ultrasensor, cheaper shorts, without a problem and for many more miles.

Do I just have a low end butt? Anybody use these shorts? Do they have a break in period? Was I just suckered? I assumed because my other PI shorts were great these would be even better.

This is one case where I did not get what I paid for...

SKM

Did you wash them when you brought them home? Can you tell what caused the owee? Is it a saddle sore, or did the chamois play a part? Both myself and Veronica were victims of a bad batch of Shebeest chamois - cut like a knife!

defect?

It is the edge of the chamois causing the problem. I did not wash them before the first wear. I figure I will try a wash and see if anything changes. I compared the chamois to my other shorts. The new chamois is thicker and a little smaller, both of which could cause the problem.

skm

Ow! That's what the Shebeest's did, the edge of the chamois left a good 3" cut on my bum! After you've washed 'em, check the edge again, hopefully it will have softened up.

If they don't get better, I'd return them. For the $$$ that PI charges, your bum should feel like it's floating on a cloud. Maybe it is a defect in the shorts?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I gotta say, some folks really recommended the Performance Ultras and I bought both a pair of PIs and the Ultras at the same time. The PIs are just not as comfortable as the Ultras - it feels like they abraid the area just outside the sit bone. Sorry I can't remember which model.

I guess it makes sense that we all like different shorts. I tried the PI microsensor shorts many years ago and absolutely hated them. I went through a "shorts trying on / trying out period" a few years back and learned that the only shorts that worked for me are the PI ultrasensors. (OK, you don't have to say anything - I already know I'm picky!) Except of course for the last 2 years when they totally screwed up the design - whoever thought a short that dipped down low in front was a good idea ought to be shot! But PI has "fixed" the ultrasensor shorts again, just received a pair of the 05 version of the shorts from TE, and they seem to be perfect!

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 03-29-2005 at 04:37 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    whoever thought a short that dipped down low in front was a good idea ought to be shot!
    Yes, I have a pair of those. They look really good when I wear them with a jersey that has elastic in the hem and is steadily making it's way north.

I've seen your belly! It's not bad. Now I on the other hand, wear a girdle under my shorts.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I've seen your belly! It's not bad. Now I on the other hand, wear a girdle under my shorts.

V.
    You didn't take a picture to go with the back of the knee/kitchen jersey bum shot, did you? EEEEEEEEEE! May not ride with you again. That's why I like the Descente lycra -- acts like a girdle. I checked and they've updated the women's chamois. It looks a lot more like Castelli, PI,and Shebeest. However, since I replaced oodles and oodles of shorts last year (and I have a ultrafinicky po$terior), I'm trying to not buy any this year.

SKM, I think PI has a pretty good customer service line. If washing didn't solve it, call them. Is it bad stitching, a thread knot? Have you determined the cause yet?

Maybe you got a bad chamois. Take them back, for over $100 you should be comfy. Compare your bad pair with another in the shop and see if they all have the offending edge. It could just be that your shape is not compatible with the chamois shape.

That said, one time I got a deal on a pair of barely used PIs at a consignment shop. I found out why I got the deal, there was a wicked sharp nylon thread that stuck out of the perimeter of the chamois! Ow! That is so say, sometimes stuff like that slips through QC. I was able to snip the thread down with nail clippers. But then I *graduated* to the next size up!!