Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: breathing pain

breathing pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did a very hard 3 1/2 hour ride on Sunday and was breathing hard pretty much the whole time. My avg HR was 160 (zone 4 for me) and although I rarely have to use my puffer anymore, I did use my puffer once after climbing the biggest hill. So - I felt fine afterward. Monday I felt fine. Tuesday I did a short 3km run at noon and felt fine. Then Tuesday evening I went for a fairly easy 25km ride. There were a few hills that made me breath hard but I really wasn't working hard at all.

When I got home, I found it hurt to take in a deep breath. And it still does this morning. It's not a bad pain by any means but it's curious. It's fairly high up, around the notch in my collar bone?

Any thoughts from you asthma ladies?
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Any chance it could be muscle or joint pain that is aggravated by the action of breathing? Lungs seem so mysterious to me - wouldn't it be better to be mechanical?

H&B
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

I wonder if you can duplicate it by moving your arms or stretching that area in one way or another? I'd say it's probably a muscle strain, more than a lung thing. If you can duplicate it by moving or stretching, then it's probably a muscle strain.

I get strains in my ribs for strange or unknown reasons, usually after physical activity, but sometimes after sleep. I can feel them when I breathe because my rib cage is moving. Costochondritis, is what it's called, strain of the spaces between the ribs.

Karen

Kelowna, It seems strange that it is hurting like this after relatively gentle workouts...
    I have not experienced this with my hayfever-asthma or my pursuiters cough (kind've like exercise induced asthma)

Is it at all possible you have pulled a muscle somewhere? Or maybe swallowed a bug and it has bruised you (I once swallowed a HUGE blowfly and after the gagging and spluttering I had a bruised sensation "behind" one lung.

Like LB, lungs are mysterious to me also...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    I once swallowed a HUGE blowfly and after the gagging and spluttering I had a bruised sensation "behind" one lung.
    EWWWWWWWWWW

I really don't even want to KNOW how it got back out again.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I get strains in my ribs for strange or unknown reasons, usually after physical activity, but sometimes after sleep. I can feel them when I breathe because my rib cage is moving. Costochondritis, is what it's called, strain of the spaces between the ribs.
    Ah... we must have been posting at the same time Karen! Thank you, I had never heard of this before.
    I've had a feeling like that before, but I put it down to indigestion... maybe it was Costochondritis!

Hmm, I've tried a few things but I'm pretty darn sure it's breathing, not muscular. I can almost feel it in my throat, but not quite. Very hard to explain. You know that feeling when you're breathing REALLY cold air (-20 or colder)? My ride on Sunday was really hard but the problem didn't really show up until Tues night.

I'll just keep an eye on myself I guess. thanks for the input.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Oh, THAT kind of pain. You're probably right, then. Soft tissue irritated or something. Or a bug. lol.

Karen

I used to get some allergy & exercise-induced asthma symptoms when I was younger, and it would hurt in the area you're describing -- upper chest, bottom of throat.

If you're allergic to something in the air, AND you're breathing a lot because you're doing aerobic exercise, you're increasing your exposure to whatever is irritating your lungs.

Maybe ask a doc to listen to your lungs if it doesn't clear up in a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    EWWWWWWWWWW

I really don't even want to KNOW how it got back out again.
    Um... it didn't... it hit the back of my throat with force - I was travelling about 32kph, and it was going full-blowfly-speed, the first I knew it was wacking the backof my throat and going down...

It may have been a while ago but I am still emotionally scarred