Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Your measurements?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally got around to measuring the width between my sitbones. It's a hair over 6". My husband's is 3.25"! Nonetheless, I'm trying one of his Selle Italia saddles with a gel insert today. I think it will just fit me.

Is 6" normal? Wide? Narrow? for a girl?

How do you do the measurement???

How do you measure? the method???
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnBreez
    How do you measure? the method???
    One of two ways. Easiest is probably to take a piece of paper to a hard, bumpy surface like cement. Sit on it! Your buttbones will create indentations in the paper and you can measure between them.

I did it the hard way. Prodded around back there till I could feel the bones then stretched a tape measure between them! I later confirmed it by the paper-sitting method too.

As an update, the saddle fit! It supported my butt better than my Selle San Marco Donna, plus I used vaseline as chamois buttter to ease the chafing, but I still have some pain (quite possibly though I sensitized my parts with yesterday's ride, where I didn't take nearly the precautions). The gel might have helped a little, but it might also have been misplaced for my anatomy, it's hard to say. I'm going to try somebody else's saddle too, and I got another, second-hand enthusiastic testimonial for the Fizik Vitesse so I'm kind of really getting tempted to try that one. (Plus half the guys on the ride today were on Fizik.

Someday I *will* have a completely comfortable ride, LOL!

Koobi, Koobi, Koobi

See Favorite Saddles... I promise not to repeat my drooling praise for this saddle here

spazz (now staring at her bicycle with wrench in hand)

"here bikey, bikey, bikey... get into the nice bike carrier."
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    "here bikey, bikey, bikey... get into the nice bike carrier."
    Maybe if you throw some new tubes or purty new bar tape in the box first . . .

Quote Originally Posted by alison_in_oh
    I got another, second-hand enthusiastic testimonial for the Fizik Vitesse so I'm kind of really getting tempted to try that one. (Plus half the guys on the ride today were on Fizik.

Someday I *will* have a completely comfortable ride, LOL!
    I gotta chime in - although I don't post here often. However, having 'auditioned' about 8 saddles, I've become a pro! I started out with a Fizik Vitesses - it came with my bike. It was fine on short rides, but anything over 50 miles started causing severe discomfort - pressure on all the wrong spots. I used the Specialized gel measuring thingy, and I'm 150mm - just under six inches. The Vitesse is only about 4 inches before it starts to slope down - meaning that your sitbones will be about an inch LOWER than the center of the saddle, with more weight onthe non-sitbone parts. After trying the entire Terry line, a SelleItalia that left me scarred, and a Specialized Alias, I'm very, very happy with a Specialized Avatar, in the largest size - 155mm. As far as I can tell, it's the exact same as the women's Jett model (which says 'Avatar 155' on the side, but it's a different color scheme) In the past two weeks, I've done two centuries without a complaint on this saddle. Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by Audio-A
    I gotta chime in - although I don't post here often. However, having 'auditioned' about 8 saddles, I've become a pro! I started out with a Fizik Vitesses - it came with my bike. It was fine on short rides, but anything over 50 miles started causing severe discomfort - pressure on all the wrong spots. I used the Specialized gel measuring thingy, and I'm 150mm - just under six inches. The Vitesse is only about 4 inches before it starts to slope down - meaning that your sitbones will be about an inch LOWER than the center of the saddle, with more weight onthe non-sitbone parts. After trying the entire Terry line, a SelleItalia that left me scarred, and a Specialized Alias, I'm very, very happy with a Specialized Avatar, in the largest size - 155mm. As far as I can tell, it's the exact same as the women's Jett model (which says 'Avatar 155' on the side, but it's a different color scheme) In the past two weeks, I've done two centuries without a complaint on this saddle. Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary...
    Thanks, your input is very helpful! I think the saddle I'm going to borrow from a friend who likewise ran the gamut before settling on a hands-down favorite is also a Specialized.

Did you find any trade-off in power transfer with the gel cushioned seating area?

I used the Specialized gel measuring thingy, and I'm 150mm - just under six inches. The Vitesse is only about 4 inches before it starts to slope down - meaning that your sitbones will be about an inch LOWER than the center of the saddle, with more weight onthe non-sitbone parts.
    Thanks, Audio. I also agree that the measurement of the saddle before it starts to slope down is the most important measurement. It's not the overall width of the saddle (other than the nose), it's whether the support spots match your sitbone measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by alison_in_oh
    Thanks, your input is very helpful! I think the saddle I'm going to borrow from a friend who likewise ran the gamut before settling on a hands-down favorite is also a Specialized.

Did you find any trade-off in power transfer with the gel cushioned seating area?
    Terrific question, but I'll be honest. There wasn't much power transfer happening when I was in pain on the other saddles. Comparing the gel cushion to the non-gel Alias, I don't feel I gave up anything. It's such a tiny bit of gel, but apparently, just enough in exactly the right place.

One thing that I've learned is that we are all extremely different. Given how much love there is for the Terry's, I thought those would be perfect. But, every saddle has to have SOME fans, right? So, find a source that will let you try them out - I could tell after one 50 mile ride if a saddle was a no-go. The Terry FireFly was close, but it still just wasn't ideal.

Knowing that no matter what my ego said, I needed a wide saddle helped immensely. I could look at the rear profile of a saddle and know that it would slope down too quickly, or would be too wide through the nose, or be too squishy. But, once you find 'the one', life suddenly becomes very, very good!

I also ride on a Specialized. Have Not a clue what the name is. At the time I bought it I thought it was a mans saddle - but found out later it was a womans. My LBS said he could tell by the colour! Anyway - it doesn't have any gel but it does have a very narrow channel which runs all the way down the middle. The saddle is very flat and narrow and matches my sit bones perfect. Unlike most of you - I haven't ridden anything over 35 miles at 1 time but the day I did I had no discomfort with my nether regions. Trying to get over a sinus infection and back into riding darnit...and then I'm gonna try my first 1/2 centuary!!

PS: have not a clue how wide my sit bones are - but thanks to riding...they don't have a lot of padding anymore!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Terrific question, but I'll be honest. There wasn't much power transfer happening when I was in pain on the other saddles. Comparing the gel cushion to the non-gel Alias, I don't feel I gave up anything. It's such a tiny bit of gel, but apparently, just enough in exactly the right place.
    Cool, good to know. The Selle Italia I rode yesterday had zero padding for the bony parts, and though they ended up a little achey I did feel like I was pedaling more efficiently than with my generally-padded Selle San Marco I'd ridden the day before.

One thing that I've learned is that we are all extremely different. Given how much love there is for the Terry's, I thought those would be perfect. But, every saddle has to have SOME fans, right? So, find a source that will let you try them out - I could tell after one 50 mile ride if a saddle was a no-go. The Terry FireFly was close, but it still just wasn't ideal.
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what it all boils down to! Just try it and see. I even mentioned to my hubby that what I needed was to find someplace with a good return policy so I could ride before committing. As he said, "That's easier said than done"!

Knowing that no matter what my ego said, I needed a wide saddle helped immensely. I could look at the rear profile of a saddle and know that it would slope down too quickly, or would be too wide through the nose, or be too squishy. But, once you find 'the one', life suddenly becomes very, very good!
    The more I learn to LOVE riding, the more I long for that day when it's a pain-free affair!

ROFLMAO hooo hooo haaa haaa haa!!! I just ran outside and sat on a peice of paper on bumpy cement. My sitz bonz left NO mark! Guess I have enough gel back there not to need any on my seat!

I bought a WTB She today. After 5 miles, it kinda hurt. the jury is still out on that one.

You gals have my total sympathy with the challenges of new saddles, but this thread is getting pretty hilarious. It may be video time so you can show us the perfect technique for measuring. A fit of the giggles is about the start!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    ROFLMAO hooo hooo haaa haaa haa!!! I just ran outside and sat on a peice of paper on bumpy cement. My sitz bonz left NO mark! Guess I have enough gel back there not to need any on my seat!

I bought a WTB She today. After 5 miles, it kinda hurt. the jury is still out on that one.
    That was Hilarious!! Ok...the whole thing with your saddle isn't - but I had this mental image of your neighbors (think Mrs. Crabtree from Bewitched) peeking thru their blinds wondering what in Gods name you were doing!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    That was Hilarious!! Ok...the whole thing with your saddle isn't - but I had this mental image of your neighbors (think Mrs. Crabtree from Bewitched) peeking thru their blinds wondering what in Gods name you were doing!!
    Likewise with the measuring tape stretched behind you, trying to find each bone and mark the place. I did this the other day and my daughter walked in - MOM WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? I thought I'd die laughing!!