Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New use for Silly Putty

To disable ads, please log-in.

roll it out

lay it over that overstuffed sofa armrest

mount up

remove putty from sofa

measure imprints (if any)

destroy evidence
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Stop it - I'm crying now I'm laughing so hard! And as I posted earlier - trying to laugh quietly while at work so the boss can't hear ya - makes me laugh even harder!.......now I gotta figure out some story for the tears......coz I Sure can't share This with him!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    roll it out

lay it over that overstuffed sofa armrest

mount up

remove putty from sofa

measure imprints (if any)

destroy evidence
    I think I might be imprinting all little "TMI" with this method!!!

Have an LBS that sells Specialized?

If so, see if they have one of their spiffy little sit bone measuring tools. My LBS has one. Sit on this little squishy pad and measure. You get clear indentations and no strange looks from the neighbors!
    Plays in dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Girl
    If so, see if they have one of their spiffy little sit bone measuring tools. My LBS has one. Sit on this little squishy pad and measure. You get clear indentations and no strange looks from the neighbors!

More affectionately known as the A$$-O-Meter!

Hey, if the, uh, shoe fits...

By the way, the silly little thing works!

LMAO now you know I am gonna go to my lbs and ask for the A#@ o meter!!! That is a must! My new saddle jsut barely accomodates my sitz bones.

Is it a crime to use the same saddle on my MTN as on my Road bike? I love my road bike saddle.

Anyone use "The Seat"?

Has anyone used The Seat? (http://www.thecomfortseat.com/)

I talked to a couple at Pike Street market last weekend, they had it on the back of a tandem, and they both raved about it, saying they took newbies out on long rides with no discomfort.

I want to know how it works on a road bike, instead of an upright position.

The only thing i'd wonder about is loss of control. having that pointy nose part between your legs gives you something to grip.
    The standard saddles leave so much to be desired, i am just not sure it
    is worth it or wise to punish yourself long enough to get used to one.

i look at the seats on some road bikes and I am amazed that someone considers that something they'd like to sit on even for a little while.
    I mean the inside of your buttocks which is where that thing goes is so delicate. there are tiny nerves and blood vessels, skin and bone. and it's not THICK skin either. if your seat is not supporting your sitting bones (and how could it if it is 4" across?!) it's digging into areas that were never meant to bear weight in the first place!

I did the paper on the hard floor measure, as well as folding my yoga mat in half and measuring the indentations. 7 inches both times. Somehow, I'm not surprised. Runs in the family. The saddle width of the Velo Plush on my bike is about 6 inches at its widest, and I have been wondering about whether I could be more comfortable than I am as my rides have gotten longer. I think I'm going to take a hard look at the B-67.

I should be getting mine in the mail day after tomorrow.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

hi everyone,

i'm new to these boards and in search of a new saddle to replace the stock that came on my trek pilot 5.0 wsd.

i'm having issues with pain in the area where my legs attach...also girly parts are starting to get mashed. i have found that i do ok as long as my rides are short in length (timewise), say, less than 2hr. but after that, on longer rides (like 4hr this past saturday), there was pain in the joint area and too much mashing. ended up with some lower back pain as well. i spend most of my time on the hoods, but would like to ride in the drops more, but there is just WAY too much mashing to be anywhere comfortable doing that. there also seems to be more mashing while on the hoods unless i sit up a lot more.

i haven't done the paper on the sidewalk measurement yet, but did do the "sit on your hands and have your husband measure between where you felt the bones" measurement. that came out to be around 5-5.25" or close to 130mm. i just don't know where to start when selecting a saddle. i do gather that, if my sit bones are 130mm apart, that i would want to get a saddle that is, maybe, 140mm wide??

i'm going to call my lbs (specialized dealer) and see if they have an a$$-o-meter, get measured there and see what they recommend. i just don't want to go spend a 100 bucks on a saddle and it not be right or hard to return as i would hear about it from the non-riding spouse....

thanks, karen.

Karen,

You might consider getting a Brooks saddle from Wallingford bikes (www.wallbike.com). They have a 6 month return policy, so you won't risk being stuck with a saddle you don't like.

A B-17S is $67 -- less than the $100 you're thinking of spending.

Also, Bill would probably chat with you about what you should get given your sit bone measurements.

I read the Brooks saddle thread and I'm considering getting one myself.

-- Melissa

PS I don't recommend reading this thread while you're at work, because you might be tempted to try measuring your bones and it would be embarrassing if someone came up to your cube while you were in the middle of measuring. I'm just sayin' is all...

Quote Originally Posted by melissam
    PS I don't recommend reading this thread while you're at work, because you might be tempted to try measuring your bones and it would be embarrassing if someone came up to your cube while you were in the middle of measuring. I'm just sayin' is all...

and I don't recommend reading this thread at work because you might read melissam's message and end up with pasta sauce all over your computer keyboard from laughing so hard

went to the lbs and had some adjustments made: had the nose of saddle lowered some so that it's tilted downward. that helped a lot, but last weekend, i had a 62 & 48 mi ride over the weekend and developed a rash on the inside of my thigh near the crease, so i haven't ridden this week.

went back to lbs and they are letting me try out a terry butterfly saddle. will test it out tomorrow on my group ride.

Thanks for the reply. Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by melissam
    Karen,

You might consider getting a Brooks saddle from Wallingford bikes (www.wallbike.com). They have a 6 month return policy, so you won't risk being stuck with a saddle you don't like.

A B-17S is $67 -- less than the $100 you're thinking of spending.

Also, Bill would probably chat with you about what you should get given your sit bone measurements.

I read the Brooks saddle thread and I'm considering getting one myself.

-- Melissa

Kiwi Girl,

Sorry about your loss of pasta sauce. Hopefully you still had enough for lunch and were able to clean up the computer keyboard.

Karen,

Good luck with the Terry Butterfly. A lot of women really like the saddle, so I hope you do too!

Everyone else,

Here's a low budget way to get your measurements, all in the privacy of your own home, and with minimal potential for embarrassment.

1. Take a paper towel -- one standard-sized square should work, but use two if you want a margin for error.
    2. Place the paper towel(s) on a plushly carpeted area.
    3. Sit on the paper towel(s).
    4. Get up.
    The paper towel(s) should have two indentations where the sit bones are. If you don't put anything on it, the indentations should last indefinitely.

-- Melissa