Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking Maratona dles Dolomites - am I crazy?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never raced, but wanted to do the Maratona dles Dolomites ever since I saw their 2006 video http://www.maratona.it/info/video_2006...

Has anyone here ridden this race (or any 1 day mountainous race) and willing to give advice to a complete new-bie? (http://www.maratona.it/info/2005/courses)

All advice is appreciated!

Depending on when you want to do this, of course you can. Pretty sure 2008 is full.
    I've ridden the Engadine marathon (but just the 100k).
    These are not really races... unless you make it one, but you have to make the time limits.
    Start: 6:45, in blocks
    Time limit
    Corvara direction Campolongo (55km) 11.15 a.m.
    Cernadoi direction Passo Giau (76km) 12.00 a.m.
    Finish: 55km 2 p.m. 106km and 138km 4.30 p.m.
    9:45 or a 14 kph average
    If not, you will be re-routed onto the shorter courses.

Perhaps start with something smaller like the Engadine one, or Stelviobike - this is a lot of fun.

Just ride and climb lots. To know you are ready, you have to be sure you can do the 10 climbs totalling 4000 meters at the minimum speed to make the cutoffs. Perhaps 2000 km would be good to have trained.

p.s. NO, you are not crazy. for crazy, try the Alpenbrevet. 260 k, 6000 meters climb. I just see they changed the route - make that 7000.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 05-26-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Hahaha, Sorry, I should have been more specific... I'm planning on doing the short version. There's no way I'd remotely consider the full race. At least not yet.

After trying for 2007 and not making it in I made sure to register early. But this will be my first race - so I have NO experience at all except as the "supportive wife" taking photos and bringing drinks to my husband and his team. In fact, I need to buy a road bike yet (which makes me nervous as time is ticking by) -- my trusty MB would work, but it's sooo heavy... and all I ride is road since we moved to Italy.

So the Engadine marathon - cycling? I looked it up and found a ski race that looks exciting... The Stelviobike looks beautiful too. Alpenbrevet = notachance! The fact that you even know about a race like that is impressive! I am humbled.

Ah. short course - well, just know you can cover the distance, and know you can cover the elevation. I've seen MTBs on the Stelvio and the Engadine. Put slicks on. Get your loving husband to drag you over a couple of mountains NOW. it's a month from now.

For the Engadine one:
    http://www.radmarathon.com/show_page.php?pid=329
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 05-26-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

So? did you do it?