Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Swolen Elbow - Allergic Reaction to Spider Bite

I need some advice from the med/PT types. Its not a cycling injury, but it bugs me when I ride. About a week ago I was bitten by a spider on my elbow. I had a very bad allergic reaction followed by an infection. I got the immediate swelling down with ice and benadryl, and the infection seems to be resolving with antibiotics. BUT, a week later, there is still enough swelling that it annoys me when I ride. Any ideas on how to get the swelling to go down completely, or do I just need to give it more time? All the redness is gone, but I am getting ready to stop the antibiotic (I took it for a whole week, I am supposed to take it a couple more days, but it makes me yeasty and upsets my stomach so I would really like to stop now).

Can you finish the antibiotic? maybe ease your stomach with some yogurt?

The swelling will likely take some time, but if it seems AT ALL to be getting worse, or you get the classic symptoms of re-infection, call the doc immediately. Septicemia or cellulitis are very icky consequences of infection that doesn't get cleared out completely. (and the area near a joint is a busy one)

I don't really know much about infections and cooties and germs from bug bites, but I've seen some impressive bacterial events from surgeries. Watch those critters carefully, they can be real boogers.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-25-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

OK, so you think I need to finish the antibiotic. I guess I can put up with a few more days. I have enough pills left for a day and a half, but I am at a point where I think I feel worse from the antibiotic. All the redness and warmth is gone, just this inflammation seems to be left. Does the persistent swelling and inflammation mean it is still infected? I tried icing it again after my ride today but no change.

I forgot to say that I initially got the swelling down w a single tab of prednisone I had. I phoned the doc the next day, and he didn't have any appts. but the nurse asked if the swelling had gone down and I said yes (it had, it just wasn't gone) and if it was red and warm to the touch, which it was, so he just phoned a script for an antibiotic (clindamycin) into the pharmacy. I don't know if he had seen it if he also would have prescribed prednisone for the inflammation.

Its definitely not getting worse, much better in fact, I just don't like that it is still swolen after a week of treatment.