Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    I found $20 once on the W&OD Bike Path. Someone must have reached into their back pocket, pulled out a snack and the $20 fell to the ground.
    Yes! That's exactly what happened! Thank you
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Yes! That's exactly what happened! Thank you
    haha ... sorry Zen, money is spent and way gone on some bicycle or kayak accessory.

I rode past a ladies bike today, that was just laid against a bush, just seemed an odd place for a bike to be.

One hour later I came past it again and not sure why but I just felt uneasy about it. The bike was not in very good condition but all the cables where fine, plus tyres and there was a padlock but it was not being used.

I am such a

I now realise how deserted the place was and that if somebody had pinched it, they would have probably just left it on the ground. If the owner had left it there, they would perhaps have locked it up, although there is nowhere to really go along there.

Then my mind goes into overdrive, has some poor girl been dragged off her bike and, and goodness knows what might have happened to her. I look around at all the bushes and a short distance away there appeared to be a white sheet.

I decided to take some photos instead of touching the bike.

Had been home a short while and decided it was no good, I thought it better to phone the Police.

Very soon after that they returned my call, to tell me that the front wheel of the bike was not working and also that they had checked the area out and everything was OK.

Clock
    Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 10-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

This doesn't really count as being seen "on a ride", but anyway: when I got to work one morning and parked my bike in our underground parking area, I passed this:

Yup, one of my colleagues taking his or her rock for a ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kampestein.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	10173  
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Yup, one of my colleagues taking his or her rock for a ride
    That's hilarious. I hope the rock had a lovely time.

Pam

On my ride last weekend, sitting on top of a guardrail piling at the top of a hill in the middle of freakin' nowhere (not a building in sight, and I could see a long way from the top of that hill), a pair of swim goggles.

So lph, since it's a colleague, you must have found out the story behind that rock? Just ballast for training?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

speaking of worrisome
    On a trail near our house my DH found a little kid's backpack. It was surrounded by a cell phone and little girl's clothing, including underwear. He really freaked out. He picked up the cellphone to see if there was someone he could call. As he picked it up, it rang. It was the kid's mom.
    15 minutes later, a very angry mommy and contrite little girl met him to get the pack and cellphone. Mother said "WHAT WERE YOU DOING THIS FAR FROM SCHOOL?" the girl was about 9 years old.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Lord, that would've freaked me out properly too.

From the bike it seems that the rock belongs to one of the "non-cyclist" cyclists, so it could any one of about a hundred amiable nature-loving nerdy colleagues that I don't know that well...
    I'll have to keep a eye on that bike.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Yipes for the backpack and kid tale. I don't know if I'd WANT to know the full story on that one.

I'll have to remember this rock, each time I lament the weight of my commuter bike vs. my road bike. My DH feels that riding a heavy commuter is a fine thing, as it makes rides on my lightweight road bike seem more like flying. If you can slog it up that hill on a heavy bike, think how fast you'll go on a light one!

So...no doubt, THAT'S what your co-worker is doing. Training. Yeah. That's it. Training...

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Roadkill in good enough shape to return to collect (mit rubber glubbies and bag). Bubba gets the honor of harvesting the feathers for flytying.

And, shhhhh, don't report to Fish & Game, m'kay? It could be a tad embarrassing . . .
    I’ve a wildlife salvage (road kill) permit, which I never used. There are always a few road killed opossums around here. There was one right on a sharp corner along the way to my office. Many of my colleagues ran over it earlier. They asked me to remove it, so they won’t have to drive over it again. I took a look at it and rode off.

There is a guy that rides around my town in the spring/summer in just a speedo on his bicycle. He has long hair and a moustache.

He is locally known as "Speedo Jesus."

He's like the "White Whale" (I did put the proper name of this classic book, but the TE forum blanked it out) of cycling in my town. He's elusive and mysterious. I have seen him, but haven't had the nerve to ask what is going on with the speedo. Truly, a strange person to find on a ride.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

This is not quite on topic...

While running I found a Bible. It had a name imprinted on it and I called a member of the church in our little town an asked if they new the person. They did so I gave it to them to get it to the owner.

When I say little town, I mean little. Not even one street light.
    On our main street we have a gas station, post office, the bank closed but just opened as a car lot, a lawyers office, several small county government offices, a couple of monuments, two churches, less than 10 homes and our claim to fame is the oldest functioning court house in Georgia. They use it once per month to maintain this status, otherwise it is more of a museum.

My other running find was a leather gun holster. Creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncyclista View Post
    There is a guy that rides around my town in the spring/summer in just a speedo on his bicycle. He has long hair and a moustache.

He is locally known as "Speedo Jesus."

He's like the "White Whale" (I did put the proper name of this classic book, but the TE forum blanked it out) of cycling in my town. He's elusive and mysterious. I have seen him, but haven't had the nerve to ask what is going on with the speedo. Truly, a strange person to find on a ride.

If that's the fellow I'm thinking of, I've heard his story.

Many years ago he was in an accident and had a bad head injury. As with many who've damaged their brains, his inhibitions are not quite all there and he was apt to do things that other people would think twice about.

He said he just got too hot one day and that's how he started riding around in nothing but a thong. He seemed to enjoy the attention that it was getting him a bit, but he also seemed a bit overwhelmed by it as well. I just read recently that he passed away and it seems likely that it was suicide.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Not quite found on a ride .... found walking my mutt this morning a Huffy frame (just the frame, no fork, wheels ....) in good condition at the spot where my neighbors all dump stuff they are not supposed to dump

Not quite the Motobecane mixte I once found but good enough to go to the Trips for Kids thrift store. I'm sure someone will build it up.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by moderncyclista View Post
    ... (I did put the proper name of this classic book, but the TE forum blanked it out)...
    You mean Moby Duck?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager