Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

This wasn't on a ride, it was on a hike, but it was a weird thing to find. My friend and I found a busted-up printer or copier (don't remember for sure which it was) along the Midstate Trail in Rutland this summer. It wasn't that close to a road either (that we knew of anyway). Pretty random.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    This wasn't on a ride, it was on a hike, but it was a weird thing to find. My friend and I found a busted-up printer or copier (don't remember for sure which it was) along the Midstate Trail in Rutland this summer. It wasn't that close to a road either (that we knew of anyway). Pretty random.
    what, you don't take your printer/copier with you when you go hiking?? good thing you found one, then

i found a wallet once, forget where. managed to track down the owner, a woman from the middle east, recent immigrant, who barely spoke norwegian and no english. arranged to meet at a central spot, was met by her husband, heavily bearded and in traditional i.e. non-western clothing.

he spoke flawless queens english and presented me with an excellent, very old french cheese, brought back from their latest trip to paris. that had me chuckling the whole day.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

A great bike light and a small velcro pig that hangs out on my handle bars now!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post

i found a wallet once, forget where. managed to track down the owner, a woman from the middle east, recent immigrant, who barely spoke norwegian and no english. arranged to meet at a central spot, was met by her husband, heavily bearded and in traditional i.e. non-western clothing.

he spoke flawless queens english and presented me with an excellent, very old french cheese, brought back from their latest trip to paris. that had me chuckling the whole day.
    Wow, I love that story!

Some town dumps (like ours) require you to pay a small disposal/recycling fee when you bring them computer components to dispose of. That's why I saw a big computer monitor thrown over the steep side of a dirt road way out in the country last year, on one of my favorite rural rides. I bet that's why that printer got dumped.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a similar experience to LPH's . Actually I've found 3 wallets while cycling... all three I managed to track down and return to the owners. One had been left on a car roof after the owner bought gas, and two had been stolen.

The story of one of the stolen ones was quite similar to LPH's. It obviously belonged to an older man - there were medicare cards and other things in there, but most of the the things inside indicated that the person was either from out of town or had moved here recently. I called some of the numbers I found in the wallet and managed to get the boyfriend of the man's daughter, who called him. The couple was still in the store where the wallet had been taken and I probably found it before they even realized it was missing. The person who took it probably just removed the cash then tossed it out of their car window a few blocks from the store. The couple was very sweet - only a little English, but they wished me a merry christmas and I think the woman gave me a hug, even though I was still in my wet cycling clothes.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Its pretty clean here in Canberra, but occasionally stuff pops up;

roadkill( three in last month, poor skippy.)
    a torn up phonebook. It was really windy so it had made it over about 10 km. I wondered the whole ride. who has time to tear up a whole phone book?( or strength.)
    a mans rain jacket covered in white paint stains. I took this home and washed it,and it did me well until I bought a proper cycling jacket. then it went to salvos.
    4 dead cockatoos( the power lines. cant they do something about those things? terrible)
    One nice cardigan( which I hung over a fence, someones school jumper)

And I do have a possible explanation for pants.
    My husband and I, went to a party where we ate some mysterious cake, that had a sign on it - one piece at a time.Being greedy, we ate two( he had three). Severak hours later( I been hiding in back room, afraid of monsters) he came in from cold, with no pants on , just pajamas he had under pants to keep warm. So I said, where are your pants. He smiled and said, Ive been walking around the suburb and I woke up on a park bench, surrounded by kangaroos, in the misty morning light!! So I said, but WHERE ARE YOUR PANTS?!! He said, Ive no idea!! I vaguely recall thinking,oh drat these pants, I dont need them!! and chucking them( with wallet, credit card and three hundred in cash, no less). We got the pants and wallet back( sans cash and credit card) and Im still wishing that I had as much fun as he did( I thought a interdimensional creature had kidnapped me ,and vampires were in the nect room! what a party pooper!)!!! No more mysterious cakes, for me ever again( but gives those garments a mysterious and decadent sort of gloss for me now)
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

Oh my!
    I haven't eaten any of that type of baked good since 1979
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    If my husband came home after a party with no pants, he'd have some 'splainin' to do!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now I want mystery cake. Pants are so overrated anyway.

Clearly, Aussies know how to party.

By charity, goodness, restraint, and self-control men and woman alike can store up a well-hidden treasure -- a treasure which cannot be given to others and which robbers cannot steal. A wise person should do good. That is the treasure that cannot be lost.
    - Khuddhaka Patha

The word of God comes down to man as rain to soil, and the result is mud, not clear water
    - The Sufi Junayd

I really hope that I never eat ANY of that cake again! ( well cant anyhow, it had grain and im allergic.)
    I could hardly chide him over the pants when I spent three hours in back room, hiding from monsters!!
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

not to change the subject, but last week, Raleighdon found a unicorn!
    a little purple one.
    Yesterday i found earrings still on the card but they were cheap and crushed.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

It was a while ago, but I found a nifty necklace. I think it's pretty cheap, blue stones that are probably not turquoise and silver metal. It has little open work balls and flur de lis type hanging bits with the blue stones spaced between.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    What a find I had yesterday! It was my birthday and the street goddess gave me a beautiful, perfect little plastic T-Rex. I was stopped at a light during my morning commute, kind of spacey because I had just finished my Crossfit workout and was generally feeling llike Jell-O. I looked down, and there it was, looking back up at me. I picked it up and it is now affixed to the Bob Jackson. Now the next time that school bus pulls up with its mirror 2 inches from my head, I can RRRRAAAAAAWWWWRRRR!!! at it with my T-Rex.

Life is good.

Inner tube on ride on Tuesday evening. I hope the person that lost it did not get a flat. I only picked it up on my ride home..it was still there.

Have found 2 - $5 bills in the last 2 weeks. But not on my bike.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD