Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday, I found a credit card reader on the road.
    I picked it up and brought it home - definitely the heaviest thing I've carried in a jersey pocket.
    The merchant was not identified on it, but there was a toll free number for a help desk. So I called. The woman was shocked that I found it and was making an effort to return it. DH said the unit probably has credit card numbers stored in it somewhere. I figured someone was pretty freaked out about not having it. She couldn't give me the name of the merchant but could connnect me directly. So she did, and I left a voice mail.
    But, it was Saturday a.m. I wonder if this guy won't get this message until Monday a.m.?
    Well...I can only do what I can do.

My headlight picked up something sparkly on the pavement this morning, so I pulled over and checked it out. Turns out that it's a little gem--almost certainly a cubic zirconia because the setting is sterling silver. The setting was pretty beat up, probably got run over several times. Looks like it was once an earring.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Some bling for Margot?

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Yesterday, I found a credit card reader on the road.
    Well...
    Turns out our card reader belongs to a mobile windshield repair service. They did a repair, the guy put the card reader on a bumper or roof of the truck or some such, and drove away. Card reader fell off...and viola....I picked it up.
    They were very happy to have it found....and we have a free windshield replacement if we should ever need one!

What does a credit card reader look like? I'm guessing it's a scanning device?
    I'm thinking of you with one of those old machines that produces carbon copies stuffed in your jersey pocket
    But I know that's not right.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

The mobile card readers I've seen don't look much different from the fixed-in-place ones at store checkouts. Just a little bigger to accommodate a battery and the wireless "stuff," and maybe tending more to rectangular than square so they fit better in someone's hand.

Like most things, they're getting smaller all the time. Waiters have them in their apron pockets at a lot of restaurants, now. A windshield repair place has probably been using it for a long time and so probably has a larger one, more the size of the things you sign on when you get a UPS or FedEx parcel.

So 7rider, you did your good deed for the day!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yeah, at first, I thought it was a calculator/adding machine. It was about 8" long x 5" wide by 3" thick (~20 cm x 13cm x 8 cm), with a roll of paper at the top (the plastic cover was off, but I could snap it back on), but the paper roll was smooshed. It had a slot at the bottom to stick the card in and an biggish LCD screen.
    My SIL has one for running charges at crafts fairs where she sells her jewelry.

found something!!

WELL,
    I was riding along thinking, why dont I ever see anything interesting on my rides, for this thread?( yes , Its sad but I have no life!)
    Just then, I looked over and saw a bag , laying in the greenbelt ditch, between the road and myself. So I thought, hmm that looks promising. I opened the bag and found a fresh bouquet of daffodils! So, I decided hmm, I want that so I put into backpack and decided to visit my husbands nanna in hopsital.
    Well, it was a epic ride - freezing cold and gale force winds, large hill- but I made it to the hopsital, only to find she had left!
    So I took the flowers home, and washed the bag. It looks like it will be good fit for my freemasonry swords( hard to carry those around, unless you have a hockey bag or) something.
    I took a photo but will have to post it later,as I am so tired from ride that I havent uploaded pics.
    Oh and stopped on way home, 1 km from house and fell asleep resting my head on my arms on the stem standing up!
    Cute guy woke me up, and said are you ok?Which was embarrassing, so I mumbled, yeah, rode farther than I have before , so he took off.
    Conquering illness, one step at time.

Condoms

Tonight I saw 8-10 condoms (unused) spilled on the bike path. I didn't pick them up.

Pam

could be the same guy who lost the bag of daffodils "oh &^%, I dropped the flowers. Now I have no chance. Whado I need these for?"
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I found a large white envelop with a person's name on it in the middle of the road. It said "George (last name) #77". It was ripped partially open, exposing a metal clip holding a bunch of papers together. I left it propped up on the side of the road against a sign. I didn't want to go opening up someone's package, but there was no way to i.d. who this person was or where he was from what was on the package. I just did a quick search on Universal White Pages for his name, but came up with no one local.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Tonight I saw 8-10 condoms (unused) spilled on the bike path. I didn't pick them up.

Pam
    LOL ... someone's party was ruined.

A daschund. The little gal was chasing DH and I on the mountain bike trail while her owners frantically tried to catch her (off leash trail). I figured out she was going to keep following us so I scooped her up. She repaid me with kisses and gave her back to the sobbing little boys. The were probably 3-7 and of course the youngest thought she was gone for good when she ran away. She was only a puppy, maybe a leash would be a good idea? Or training?

I also found a ponytail holder. Grosses DH out that I pluck them from the dirt but I soak them in rubbing alcohol for a couple hours to kill the gross germies.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I found $20 once on the W&OD Bike Path. Someone must have reached into their back pocket, pulled out a snack and the $20 fell to the ground.
    The cutest find, though, was a snapping turtle the size of a dime. I saw something very small and round moving as fast as it could along the bike trail pavement. I pulled over and it was the tiniest snapping turtle ever. He/She was working so hard to cross. I had to help him/her before someone ran it over.

I found a wallet, with cash, credit cards and driver's license. I couldn't get a phone listing, so I went to her building and left a note with the doorman. Luckily the park where my hawks live was nearby and I was still there watching birds when she called.

Returning the wallet in person was fun. We were both on bikes. She's a grandmother who's planning to do a century. My kind of woman.

Pam