Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Lotoja 2008

Lotoja 2008

To disable ads, please log-in.

Who else is in? DH and I signed up as a 2-person relay team.

Alex

Best wishes for lotoja.

That ride is way to fierce for me and my 'longer duration; lower intensity' philosophy.

If they let me have a 10 person relay and take two days to do it, I'm in.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

*snicker*

I don't know if it's it is really an accurate reflection of the ride, but much of the discussion of this ride that I've heard is pretty heavily competitive and testosterone laden. Maybe it's just the seated-at-the-bar-at-Fiddler's Elbow crowd, though.

Anyway, aren't there mountains on the way to Jackson?

[QUOTE=malkin;321661
    Anyway, aren't there mountains on the way to Jackson?[/QUOTE]

One climbs thousands and thousands and thousands of feet on this ride. I have a female friend who does it by herself every year and others who are parts of relays. If you go to www.lotojaclassic.com you can see the grim elevation maps. . . unless you like climbing.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Yikes! Why don't they do it in the other direction?

I think it is that competitive thing. Or else people just want to get out of Utah.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Someday, maybe I might do the mighty LOTOJA, when the memory of the last double fades enough that I don't shudder at the time it takes to properly train for something like that (well, the time it takes me, anyway). I'm not sure I'd do it as a relay; I'm not comfortable in competitive crowds. AK has done it a couple of times as part of a relay, I think. I suspect she's doing it this year, too.

I'll put in a plug for another double that isn't as crazy as LOTOJA, the Desperado Dual in Panguitch/Bryce. I'd do that one again if I could successfully use an Evelyn Wood-like system to train for it (you know, Evelyn Wood reading dynamics...). Great volunteers, nice course (for the most part), and very low key (no, you don't get any points for this one). The biggest potential issues with Desperado are (1) wind (we had about 140 miles of headwind, I kid you not) and (2) temperature (although I think they moved it back to the end of August again after stupidly holding it at the beginning of August last year).

Have fun, Alex. It's beautiful riding up there!

LOTOJA Race Report

DH and I had SO much fun!!! I loved having him as a teammate. (Not surprising, I guess!)

I posted a race report here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=26471

Now, about that Heber Century...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    AK has done it a couple of times as part of a relay, I think. I suspect she's doing it this year, too.
    Nope, not this year! Glad I didn't sign up...ended up having to take time off the bike to recover from mono. I spent Saturday waffling between mourning my not being there and sighing with relief that I wasn't.

Great job to Alex and her DH! I read your report and it sounded like you had a lot of fun! I've done the "Never doing that again" repeat many times! I suppose you're planning next year already?
    If you can read this, take a pull.

Oh, yes, I am definitely planning for next year. The big question is how much more would I have to train in order to do it solo. That's what I'll be mulling over this winter!

Alex