Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

poor sleep with lots of workouts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wondering if anyone else has this --

This doesn't happen for any single workout, but if I'm working out a lot more than I usually do, I feel like I'm burning up (normally I'm freezing all the time), and I sleep poorly, tossing and turning all night. This happened again last night.

My workouts for the last week --

Thursday: rock climbing at the gym
    Saturday: 30 mile road ride (new to road riding) and indoor soccer
    Sunday: indoor soccer
    Tuesday: 10-ish miles of mountain biking with plenty of climbing

That's not even a full week, and there are two days of recovery there, so why am I so beat? (Granted, that is a huge boost in how much I've been doing ... more common in the last few months would be one or two rock climbing sessions and one or two games of soccer).

I vaguely remember that poor sleep might be a sign of overtraining. Another part of me thinks, yay, my metabolism is working overtime burning off the fat, go me!

I don't think I'm dehydrated -- I had to get up to go pee an uncountable number of times last night, and this morning my scale still showed the high end of my normal range of water content.
    monique

I always sleep poorly the night after a long ride. Taking a few Advil before bed usually helps me.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I always sleep poorly the night after a long ride. Taking a few Advil before bed usually helps me.

V.
    Thanks. Unfortunately I can't do NSAIDs (doctor's orders), so no Advil or Aleve for me =/
    monique

if you are exercising in the evening, it will disrupt your sleep.

Also, i don't know how old you are, but as you get older, "good sleep" becomes harder and harder to attain. especially if you're going through menopause.

about really hard workouts; it has affected my sleep too.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

If it's aches and pains keeping you awake, how about topical medications like Ben Gay?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Reading "rock climbing" brought back memories of how I couldn't sleep when I used to climb. I think it was the adrenaline that that sport produced.

In fact, all of your sports are pretty intense! Maybe try some yoga or Pilates to calm things down a bit?

I'm 30; it's not aches and pains, just feeling super overheated and restless.

I do a "stretching" class based on yoga at work, but I have to be careful with real yoga -- all that downward dog does bad things to my wrist. I could attend the class at the climbing gym. I do love shivasina (sp?) But I adore any activity that forces me to be 100% in the moment, like climbing and mountain biking. I'm "in my head" too much, and I need to counterbalance that tendency with activities that require absolute concentration.

I usually climb over lunch, and I don't think it really keeps me up ... but maybe ... I think it's more stuff like biking, endurance stuff, that causes the overnight overheating and restlessness.
    monique

Bouceswoosh - could it be when you are eating to fuel your exercise? If I eat too many carbs at dinner, I will be sweating like crazy when I try to get to sleep, and wide awake. I can pack in those carbs just fine most all day long, but stuff like pasta,alcohol or bagels in the evening are certain to cause a sleepless night. Don't discount Tylenol if you can't take NSAIDs Or the delightful combo of benadryl and tylenol.) Take it 30 minutes before you are going to lay down and try to sleep. Good luck - or should I say sweet dreams? Tokie

google overtraining

I don't know you that well (aren't you LUCKY!) but it could be overtraining. Sleeplessness is one symptom but usually you feel really crappy.

You had a day where you did soccer and a ride. I would do indoor soccer followed by a rest day. Soccer is pretty demanding. And that was just half of your week! You said you had recovery days, is that a rest day or recovery day?

I wish I could play soccer. I'm too slow. Love guys with soccer legs. MMMMMMMM...

okay where was I?

As for the hot stuff at night I get that at the peak of season or after a really hard mtb ride. There are alot of reasons you get it, one of which is the inability of your body to clear lactic acid from your muscles effectively but you would get leg cramps. It's hard to pinpoint it by just the sleeplessness. I know I hit times like that and it was the start of overtraining but I wasn't getting any rest days. Everyone is different!

Goggle overtraining when you get a chance, it will give you the symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeDirtGirl View Post
    I don't know you that well (aren't you LUCKY!) but it could be overtraining. Sleeplessness is one symptom but usually you feel really crappy.

You had a day where you did soccer and a ride. I would do indoor soccer followed by a rest day. Soccer is pretty demanding. And that was just half of your week! You said you had recovery days, is that a rest day or recovery day?

I wish I could play soccer. I'm too slow. Love guys with soccer legs. MMMMMMMM...

okay where was I?

As for the hot stuff at night I get that at the peak of season or after a really hard mtb ride. There are alot of reasons you get it, one of which is the inability of your body to clear lactic acid from your muscles effectively but you would get leg cramps. It's hard to pinpoint it by just the sleeplessness. I know I hit times like that and it was the start of overtraining but I wasn't getting any rest days. Everyone is different!

Goggle overtraining when you get a chance, it will give you the symptoms.
    You beat me to it - I was thinking overtraining, too. I get really hot at night when I work out too. You *might* be able to fry an egg on my leg around 2AM. Benadryl might work if you can't take nsaids.

Do you know your normal resting HR? Take your HR first thing in the morning before getting out of bed. If it's significantly higher than normal, that's the best indicator of overtraining.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Have you overtrained?

I know I've overtrained when I have sleep pattern disturbance, elevated heart rate even during rest, poor appetite and moodiness. My legs will feel heavy, with a deep fatigue, and just grocery shopping wears me out.

My last bout of overtraining hit me in March. I had been riding all year, even through the first weeks of February. I was on my mtb doing easy trails and it snuck up on me anyway. I had to lay off for a whole month.

This is a short term solution, not a long term solution, but Ambien CR is amazing. It will knock me out cold for exactly 8 hours even if I've had a super-stressful day, caffeine late at night, or exercise in the evening. My boyfriend shared his with me during finals (yes, I know this is a no-no) and it was a life-saver. It's just about the worst feeling in the world when you go to bed at 1am, have an exam at 3PM the next day and need to study more before you take it, and somehow even though you only had five hours of sleep the night before you still can't get to sleep...

As I get older I find more things affect my sleep -- even small amounts of alcohol will wake me up after a few hours of sleep and make it hard to get back to sleep. Caffeine after 4pm... stress... and yes, either exercise late in the day or just a very large amount of exercise can make it more difficult for me to sleep (and this is not overtraining in my case, sadly).

Over-the-counter sleeping aids can help too (such as Tylenol PM). Again, not a long term solution, but if you've GOT to get back to sleep and you just can't, it can help.

Good luck. Sleep is very, very important.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 05-22-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks to everyone for your great ideas.

I was definitely wondering about overtraining, but aside from restlessness at night, I have not been feeling generally tired / sick. But it's possible that I need to back off just a smidge to keep myself from going that route.

aicabsolut: good tip about heart rate. Mine is typically around the mid 50s in the middle of the day. I can check in the morning.

Thanks for all the ideas on sleep aids. I have to be careful with those; they make me feel icky, don't seem to work for very long, and sometimes even give me nightmares! So I'm probably not going to go that route.

Tokie -- that's a really interesting idea about carbs. Since going gluten-free, I don't eat nearly as much pasta etc, but I think the night before I started this thread, I had pasta made from rice flour as a "main dish." I'll have to keep an eye on that, see if I notice a connection.
    monique

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Bounces, hope you get a good night's sleep. I noticed that it's a full moon this week. Some people have problems sleeping during a full moon.