Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Exclamation Help saddle discomfort!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am thinking of buying a new bike. But I am concerned I am never going to be comfortable in a saddle. I have major discomfort after long rides perhaps have alot of soft tissue down there that needs a place to go other than being smashed and rubbed. I have a seat now Forte Contour with a cut out which is not working. I had a Terry Georgena which was no good. I think the cut out ones are probably the way to go. Any recommendations? I am willing to spend $ for the right seat. I typically ride a road bike and would like to do some centuries. I also am concerned about using chamois cream becasue of the yeast infection factor. Any recommendations? Also shorts?

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Have you read some of the many threads on various saddles under the Gear And Accessories forum sections yet? Lots of good and bad reviews there...
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

welcome to TE!

I'm glad you're willing to pay for a saddle, because I don't think any bikes come with a saddle that you can ride for more than 5 minutes. (Why is that?)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    welcome to TE!

I'm glad you're willing to pay for a saddle, because I don't think any bikes come with a saddle that you can ride for more than 5 minutes. (Why is that?)
    My husband can ride whatever saddle comes on the bike for the lifetime of the bike, no problems.

Me? Not so much.
    monique

You might take a look at Terry's website to see if any of the saddles with cutouts appeal to you. I use a Terry Butterfly Tri Gel. Terry has a generous return policy for saddles, so it's not a bad place to start.

I use chamois cream regularly and have never had a yeast infection from it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yes, recommendations on all of your points.

As to the saddle, start with getting your sit-bones measured. Lots of threads about this topic to give some guidance. Your seating comfort might not be on the most expensive saddle available. Racers' saddles can be very pricey, trying to shave weight. You might prefer something with more padding, more weight, but less money. Keep an open mind.

As to chamois creams, lubes can be very helpful. If you keep them away from the soft-tissue area, you should be able to avoid yeast infections. Some even come with a warning not to use in that area.

As to shorts, be prepared to spend some money here. I believe better shorts cost more because they allow you to sit on the saddle longer. Try some different vendors to see whose chamois you like best, cause the guts of a short are the chamois pad.

I don't know if you have tried this but if you are using padded shorts, take a ride without them. Just use those stretch legging shorts that I wouldn't be caught dead other than on a bike with. Yeah...those. I thought I needed a new saddle when realistically it was the Pearl Izumi chamois being too much that was bothering me. Like you I felt like I was getting mashed. And sanded!

I have the Terry Butterfly Ti (no gel). Don't give up either. It takes a couple of short rides before I could tell if it was going to work....

As BleekerSt_Girl says, peruse the saddles threads. Pay attention when people are speaking of T shaped saddles or pear shaped as that may effect you. Also, do a search on Knotted Yets threads/posts about sitting on a wooden chair and making a determination of whether you might need a cutout or not, and all of her other useful information on fit, position and such. This might all be a better start than from zero in understanding your bottom and honing in on the many saddles you might potentially try.

Try Specialized body geometry if sensitive tissue is really too smooshed. They are designed to effectively perch you up on your sitbones.

TahoeDirtGirl brings up an interesting point about padding. I had the Specialized Jett and Avatar (t-shaped saddle), was right up nice on the sit bones and no pressure elsewhere. But over long rides the sit bones got sore no matter what. I compensated by getting really thick padded shorts, Pearl Izumi in fact. The Specialized Avatar was still painful for me by 42 miles (although many people love them) so I went on a saddle search and found the Selle An-Atomica (pear- shaped). Love it. But, now the thickly padded Pearl Izumis are too much padding and I get smooshed. So now it's back to thinner chamois shorts, which I've found, and all is well. I tensioned the leather a bit more to perch up and I don't get any smooshing but have sit bone comfort.

Trial and error I think, with the saddle/shorts combo. Hopefully you will find this earlier in the search than later. But it is so well worth it when you get it. Don't settle for pain.

I'm another one who's starting to find thinner chamois better. Thinner than Pearl Izumi, anyway. It does bunch and I think leads to chafing sometimes.
    monique

How strange! I haven't been on my bike much this year (weather weenie). I wore my PI shorts and about 3 miles in I realized I was uncomfortable because of the chamois bunching up in the wrong places! Ack! I've lost 40 lbs, and believe it or not, there is less of me "there", too, and it's making a difference in the chamois, I think. I wore these on my last big ride (50 miles) last fall, and I don't remember being uncomfortable in them. I hated them by the end of my 20 miles this morning!

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    How strange! I haven't been on my bike much this year (weather weenie). I wore my PI shorts and about 3 miles in I realized I was uncomfortable because of the chamois bunching up in the wrong places! Ack! I've lost 40 lbs, and believe it or not, there is less of me "there", too, and it's making a difference in the chamois, I think
    Oh yes, if you've lost that much weight you probably need to go down, not one but two sizes in shorts! Get thee to your LBS (or order from TE!) right away! I like PI shorts/chamois, but I wear mine plenty tight (size XS).

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Oh yes, if you've lost that much weight you probably need to go down, not one but two sizes in shorts! Get thee to your LBS (or order from TE!) right away! I like PI shorts/chamois, but I wear mine plenty tight (size XS).

Emily
    Might need new gloves too -- and I needed to get SHOES as well!

Karen in Boise

The thoughts about shorts & saddles are excellent.

Look at your position on the bike. Are you stretched out too far? That might crush your "girlie bits" also.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Finally, Relief

I had same problem, and I tried everything...got a professional fitting, changed saddles, changed size of my bike, tried different shorts, chamois cream, etc. Nothing worked (I think these solutions work mostly for men, not always for women). Problem got SO painful, SO bad , went to my gyne. After she examined me, she said I was low on estrogen (menopause related) and consequently on natural moisture, which was causing painful rubbing, causing external and INTERNAL chafing. She recommended estrogen cream first, but I rejected that idea. So she said I could try using a lanolin-based (not water-based, those don't work) lotion from the local "intimate products" store. I bought the one called "Pjur Eros Bodyglide" (there are other similar products too), and before I ride I apply liberally inside and out, and on my shorts chamois. The product is allergy-tested, oil-free, non-pore blocking, safe for daily use, etc. These lotions allegedly build a barrier between you and the shorts and/or saddle. I also started using an OTC product called "Replens" vaginal moisturizer (this part was my idea ). PROBLEM SOLVED. It's a miracle, I thought I would have to give up cycling. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mudmucker View Post
    As BleekerSt_Girl says, peruse the saddles threads. Pay attention when people are speaking of T shaped saddles or pear shaped as that may effect you. Also, do a search on Knotted Yets threads/posts about sitting on a wooden chair and making a determination of whether you might need a cutout or not, and all of her other useful information on fit, position and such. This might all be a better start than from zero in understanding your bottom and honing in on the many saddles you might potentially try.

Try Specialized body geometry if sensitive tissue is really too smooshed. They are designed to effectively perch you up on your sitbones.

TahoeDirtGirl brings up an interesting point about padding. I had the Specialized Jett and Avatar (t-shaped saddle), was right up nice on the sit bones and no pressure elsewhere. But over long rides the sit bones got sore no matter what. I compensated by getting really thick padded shorts, Pearl Izumi in fact. The Specialized Avatar was still painful for me by 42 miles (although many people love them) so I went on a saddle search and found the Selle An-Atomica (pear- shaped). Love it. But, now the thickly padded Pearl Izumis are too much padding and I get smooshed. So now it's back to thinner chamois shorts, which I've found, and all is well. I tensioned the leather a bit more to perch up and I don't get any smooshing but have sit bone comfort.

Trial and error I think, with the saddle/shorts combo. Hopefully you will find this earlier in the search than later. But it is so well worth it when you get it. Don't settle for pain.
    Where are the Knotted Yets posts? ((sorry, i'm new))