Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    What's showing up a lot on Craigs are the rebuilt Geo's of the 90's. These cars average over 30 mph. I would not buy a used car on Craigs but why did they ever stop making a car with mileage that good?

I think the reason that they stopped making a lot of cars like that has to do with new safety regulation that make cars heavier. That's why there is nothing out there like the old civics that used to get 40-50 mpg - they are just to heavy.

at least, thats how it was explained to me. You start adding in ABS, traction control, air bags etc and you can't make a super cheap/light car any more.

Regarding the FIT, it has that cool fold UP back seat. I would think you could fold the seat bottom up, take your front wheel off and stick a bike in crossways.

I.

That's what I thought. The idea of a $1-2k car that gets 30-40 mpg sounds great. But it probably won't have modern standard safety stuff.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Maybe, maybe not. It's true, I couldn't find specs on cars as old as '83, but I was surprised to learn that my Prius (2932 lbs) is considerably heavier than the earliest subcompacts I could find (2100-2200 for 1990 vintage cars) - and of course a Prius is so roomy inside that it's considered compact, not sub.

But, the way I understand it, fuel mileage comes more from aerodynamics than it does from weight, and body design and wind tunnel testing are much improved in recent years.

I'm not convinced that automakers couldn't be doing a lot better if they had any motivation to.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. It's true, I couldn't find specs on cars as old as '83, but I was surprised to learn that my Prius (2932 lbs) is considerably heavier than the earliest subcompacts I could find (2100-2200 for 1990 vintage cars) - and of course a Prius is so roomy inside that it's considered compact, not sub.

But, the way I understand it, fuel mileage comes more from aerodynamics than it does from weight, and body design and wind tunnel testing are much improved in recent years.

I'm not convinced that automakers couldn't be doing a lot better if they had any motivation to.
    mmm- I dunno. We currently own a nice little 83 tercel (one of those nice old lightweight high economy cars that you can't get any more with zero safety features) and a 08 Mazda. Which one would you rather be in a high impact collision in?

I do agree that the automakers could be doing a lot better. I was very disappointed in the offerings as we car shopped recently. I didn't want a hybrid, I did want good mileage, and I needed a wagon, and I wanted one nicely equipped, and not european. That left me two cars to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Oh c'mon where'd this guy come from. This isn't TREK, HELP!! A major exec of a major car company has taken over my user id now he's writing .....

SUV's took no effort on our part. It's just a bigger, heavier car on a truck chassis. We didn't even have to change the production line, just higher prices and more profit for us. And the public gobbles them up. To you the illusion of power, safety and speed is soxy, that's what sells our cars. C'mon, nobody buys based on MPG, that's wimpy, practically un-American. Just watch our ads Powering through mud, hauling trailers up a mountain, taking the short-cut around gridlocked traffic off road up over a mountain, rescuing puppies from tornadoes and floods (I'm watching our ads right now!) and all with children safely tucked in back watching videos. Don't you just want one right now? We know you'll never do these things. We know you'll be stuck in gridlock at single digit MPG and not rescuing kittens from hurricanes. We know even the light truck frames these are build on get better MPG.

But by then you've bought our car and we're laughing all the way to the bank.

We're so smrt )
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-25-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/