Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

My commuting partner got taken out.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday (tuesday), I had to take my truck to work for a post-work doctor's appointment. Ironically, I was giving a presentation on bike commuting and brought my bike with me for a little show-and-tell. After the presentation, I left my bike in its locker overnight and figured I would ride it home tonight (wednesday).

This morning...my friend and commuting partner, Terry, parked his truck at my house - per usual - for his ride into work. I saw him leave about 7:15 a.m. and called out the front door to him to tease him for being late and to wish him a good ride. I was bummed I couldn't ride in with him.

About a half hour later..DH is surfing the net before jumping into the shower. We hear the non-stop wail of police sirens nearby. DH checks the traffic websites and the local traffic cameras, looking for the problem, but finds nothing. Later, I'm getting ready to shut down the computer and see that the traffic camera site is still up on the screen. I refresh the camera down the street. A police car is blocking the street not letting any cars pass. Crap. That's the street that Terry just rode down. 2+2 = big worry. I call Terry's cell. No answer. Leave a message, "Call me. I'm worried." I call his office phone. No answer. Leave a message. "Where are you? Call me." "Stop worrying," DH says.

I get on the subway. I get off at my office and go to the garage where Terry parks his bike. It's not there. Now, I'm completely freaking out.

I debate calling his wife. Should I worry her unnecessarily? A half hour later, I get a call from a co-worker of Terry's. Terry's wife called him. The police had been banging on her door an hour ago. She's on her way to the hospital.

"Terry had a stroke, fell from his bike," he said. Holy CRAP! If only I had been there with him. If only....if only.... I can't concentrate. I'm a total basket case. I got a call from Terry's wife. They have him heavily sedated...going in for a SECOND CAT scan. They're in ICU. They're not sure about the stroke.

So many questions. No answers.

I talk to Terry's wife tonight. Good news: No stroke. Bleeding and bruising in the brain (yes, he was wearing a helmet), a broken rib, but there was no stroke. They are keeping him sedated and monitoring him for swelling on the brain. So far...so good. The police said a motorist found him on the ground on the side of the road and stopped and called 9-1-1. Bad news: The police said the injuries were more consistent with being struck by a car. Minimal damage appears on the bike, but they feel he was clipped in the rear by a car. Or, he swerved to avoid it and went down. There was no car around when the person called 9-1-1. Hit-and-run. Now I'm just angry.

DH and I went and drove the street tonight before sunset. We could see the white marks on the road where police had lit flares around him. It was right at the intersection of a small side street that comes out from your right. We know that intersection well. It's beyond "extremely hazardous." Cars come out of there - a rolling stop - and stick their noses well into the oncoming traffic before bursting out. It's the site of many near-misses. And, it's at the bottom of a downhill, where a cyclist in the broad shoulder can get up a good head of steam.

I don't know how to end this. It's a developing story. Oh, how I wish I were there with him. I could have yelled to the car "Head's up!" or we would have left earlier, so he never would have been there in the first place. or....

So, I guess I'll just end this with the trite: "Be careful out there. Please."
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

(((((((7rider)))))))))
    (((((((Terry & Family))))))))
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Hope he pulls through OK.

Hugs and prayers.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh no, I hate when something happens to my fellow commuters!

hang in there, be strong.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Hoping he turns out okay, and they find the driver who hit him! Maybe the guys on a traffic camera!

You can't beat yourself up about not being there, hon. These things just happen.

Karen

Wow, Regina, that's awful. It's a good reminder that we always need to be vigilant. Cars coming out of streets on the right scare me about twice every commute.

Hang in there, and let us know how Terry's condition progresses.

(((((((((((Seven)))))))))))))

I am anticipating your next instalment which will tell us
    1. He is doing ok
    2. They have found the wan*er who did this

I am VERY angry too...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I heard this on the news that day and found myself worrying it was one of you folks. How awful for your friend! Continued prayers for a quick recovery for him. And you take care too, don't beat yourself up for things you can not change.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

OMGosh that is horrible!!.......Sending healing vibes for your friend.....

Let us know how he's doing!!! Hopefully when they take him off heavy sedation he can let everyone know what happened!
    DeAnna

Never take life seriously.
    Nobody gets out alive anyway

I'm thinking about the two of you. Healing thoughts your way...

That is just horrible - i'm thinking of you and Terry and his wife.

Good heavens, I'm sorry to hear this. Seeing maniac drivers every time we're out (passed with a foot's clearing yesterday), it's all too obvious that accidents will happen, and my sympathies go to all those who are not fortunate enough to escape impact.

Keep us posted, and my regards to your friend.
    Think orange. Earn success.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Thanks all.
    Got good news from Terry's wife.
    She was laughing and giddy -- the best she's sounded all week.
    They took Terry off the ventilator and he's breathing on his own now. He does have an oxygen mask for some additional support, but that's doing okay.
    They also took off the restraints. Evidently, he would come 'round and start trying to rip tubes out, so they had to restrain him (!). But those are gone now too, and they're letting him come slowly out of the sedation. Pain meds will probably be with him for a while, however.
    So...things are looking up. DH and I plan to go visit him tonight. I picked up his package o' goodies from the Bike to Work Day pit stop, so I'll go bearing gifts for him. Don't know if he'll want to give up on the bikes, tho (I hope not).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Please keep us posted. Many prayers here.