Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White handle bar tape

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since I see many bikes with white handle bar tape, I was wondering how it is kept clean. As I ride most everyone that has it the tape is clean and white. I never think to ask the question on a ride.

I thought of changing it, but I don't want to do that just yet. So does anyone clean their handle bar tape and if so what do you use.

Thanks ~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Not degreaser!

I second this question, and I actually *have* white handlebar tape. When I got it, the people at the bike shop said "Oh, just rub a little degreaser on any spots and it'll come right off."

Sure. Except the dye from my fuzzy gloves actually bleeds off the gloves and leaves red or black handprints on the white tape, and degreaser (Pedro's citrus stuff) is no good for that. Dirt also doesn't come off very well with degreaser. So I'd say degreaser = out.

My dad says just regular soap and water keeps his white bar tape nice and clean, so I may have to give that a try next. I'll let you know.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

I highly recommend Fizik microtex bar tape. I recently switched out my bars on my new bike, necessitating a new tape job. The white cork tape that came on the bike had gotten pretty dirty very quickly (a couple of rides on the trainer plus two or three on the road). I put Fizik tape on the new bars and so far so good. It is easy to clean, but more than that, it just doesn't seem to attract and absorb dirt the way cork does. (I rode a season with light pink Fizik tape and it didn't get dirty at all).

My Bianchi has dirty celeste cork tape. I try to clean it when it gets really dirty. Soap and water works OK, but bike wash works better (I have the scary bubblegum pink kind from Finish Line -- called "Super Bike Wash"). One of these days I'm going to put microtex tape on that bike too.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    scruffy dirt doesn't bother me too much on handlebar tape. It's a badge that shows you ride your bike a lot. If it gets impossible gross you can then change it if you feel compelled to.
    There's a word for such charming wear: beausage.
    Some people pay extra for it!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have white cork bar tape. It comes pretty clean with a damp sponge and dishwashing liquid. It comes perfectly clean with a damp sponge and octagon soap! A friend gave me a bar of octagon soap, and I don't know much about it, but I think it's been around since the dawn of time, and it works like a champ.

I found a link:
    http://www.americarx.com/Products/12707.html

It's excellent stuff. Probably your great-grandma used it.

We use a paste made from powdered laundry detergent and a toothbrush.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

umm don't use white??

the SO and I realized yesterday that my bars and hoods are no longer white, they are blight!! No cleaning has helped. They are soon to be replaced with red hoods and red bar tape. Granted I have had the white for about 4 months, and I ride 5-6 days a week, but still it is not a pretty sight at the moment!(neither are my white shoes, anyone have any idea how to get them white again?? I was told windex but that didn't do anything)

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Soft Scrub--cleans it right up.

I've heard that Mr.Clean Magic Erasure works well, have yet to try it.
    -Emily

mild dish soap (free of all the fragrances and stuff) and water.

some people told me to use simple green, but it doesn't work that well.

Thank you ladies for all the good advice. I use soft scrup on so many things I didn't think of it for this.

I will give a few of these suggestions a try.

~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I got rid of my white tape. Who wants onemore thing to clean?

Well... I mercilessly tease those I ride with who have white bar tape, as the ProEuro riders seemed to make it fashionable and trendy, so I go on at them as if they are Wannabe-EuroYuppies...

And seriously, as for keeping it clean? Heck, I don't even OWN any white clothes cause I can't even keep THEM clean!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

RR--
    yes, it figures that white tape would be popularized by a group of people who don't have to clean their own bikes...

I just bought a bike and it CAME with white bar tape! Definitely NOT my first choice, so now I have ridden it 500 miles and thought I would revisit this thread for any more suggestions that anyone can give me.