Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My first mini-sprint

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did it! Had a beautiful day to do a 400m pool swim, 7 mile bike ride, 2.3 mile run.

The swim was not pretty, but I got through it and even had some laughs with the fellow who was seeded right after me. We both s****d! We traded "you go first, no you go" at every other lap. He mostly followed me, but I drafted his side stroke for one lap. My time was not as bad as I anticipated: 12 minutes. I plan to really focus on my drills again over the next few weeks.

My T1 was slow, but I wasn't trying to really make up time there. Got a little distracted and confused and started to get ready for the run first

It felt sooo good to get on the bike after that! I rode strong and comfortably. Passed a half-dozen or so riders and got passed by a couple. Didn't go all-out to save something for the run and averaged 17 mph.

T2 was smooth and I took time for hugs from a friend who came to cheer me on.

The run felt pretty good. I ran an easy pace the whole distance, tried to stay focused on my form and didn't walk at all. I kept chanting "I am fast, I am strong, I can run all day long" to keep me going. The running has been touch and go (just started this year) so keeping it constant for the whole distance was an accomplishment.

I felt so great afterwards. 'Been bit by another bug!

I'm looking forward to improving my swimming. I could really make up some time there, and the running should slowly improve as well. I'm going to slowly increase my distance to do 5K in the next month or so.

Next event is an OWS sprint in Falmouth in July. Can't wait to try out the wetsuit, but will wait until the water warms up around here. It's still in the 40s.

this is so much fun!!!

Congratulations on your first tri! Mine is in 2 weeks and it was great to read about yours.

Sounds like you had a great first tri. Congrats! And i love that chant--may have to steal it for my next "run"

I've always been curious how the indoor swimming works during a triathon....So was it just you and one other person in a lane? And you started together? How did they seed you? Seems like passing could be an issue, though i suppose if seeding works then it shouldn't be too bad.

Talking Looks like we have another addict...

Woohooo!!! So glad to hear things went well and that you enjoyed it.

Sounds like you did great! Congratulations!

Way to stay strong during the run portion I'm sure that was tough.
    I'm guessing if you add more distance to your training runs that the running portion of a triathlon will only become easier and easier.

Running a 5k doesn't seem like much to me anymore now that I am set to run a 1/2 marathon this weekend. (not suggesting you should train for a 1/2, just noticing that after you've run longer distances that short runs seem even shorter.)

Either way, good luck with your training and stay injury free!

Also, congrats!!! - and I also love the mantra.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by LainiePants View Post
    Sounds like you had a great first tri. Congrats! And i love that chant--may have to steal it for my next "run"

I've always been curious how the indoor swimming works during a triathon....So was it just you and one other person in a lane? And you started together? How did they seed you? Seems like passing could be an issue, though i suppose if seeding works then it shouldn't be too bad.
    The chant really did help. I think I read it in someone's post on the Beginner Triathlete forum.

The pool swim was 8 laps of a 25yd pool, one lap up and back in the first lane, under the dividers, another lap in the next lane and so on until you got to the other end of the pool. Swimmers started every 20 seconds and you were asked to estimate your swim time when registering to minimize swimmers passing each other. It seemed to mostly work. Occasionally someone was obviously not in the right spot to start. One woman passed two of us (at least) in the first 100 yards.

I really need to work on the swimming and the running. I could knock huge chunks of time off those.

Thanks to all for your support!

Congratulations on the race! That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

It's funny, you said you've been bitten by the bug... that is how I felt when I finished my first sprint last year! Now I'm signed up for 1 sprint and 2 olympics this year so far! Here's to a new hobby for you and lots of successes and FUN!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats on being bitten by the tri bug. It's a lovely bite to have!
    Sounds like your first tri was one of great success!! No walking on the run? Good for you!!!
    Congrats you triathlete, you!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Woohooo! Congrats on your first tri.

Wavedancer:

I love the mantra..could have used it today! Sounds like your first tri was relaxed and fun..a great way to start. congrats!

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Aw! Good job! Congrats!

congrats! I have my first super-sprint this weekend!