Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Jody:

Glad the proofhiding worked for you...I did have one slipping incident after I proofed my saddle but it was my own stupid fault I am leaning in between Giant and Specialized for a beater bike right now and I will probably end up wit a mountain bike...but I do keep staring at them Surly's. I just hate taking my beauty 5200 out with all the sand and salt on the roads right now.
    I don't want anything bad to happen to the carbon

maybe we'll bike into each other this week,
    karen

I find this discussion pretty interesting. I have had my 5200 out 3 times. I've stayed away from roads that have enough sand for a beach and have a fender on, but I am not sure if I could justify buying another bike to ride just in March. Of course, I say this as my husband just bought a travel bike to take with him to Europe 5-6 times a year! I have a mountain bike, which I did take out after the blizzard a couple of weeks ago, but it is too heavy for me on the road. It took me an hour to ride 11 miles when my average is usually just around 15 on the same route. I also have a hard tail mtb that i could use, that is lighter, but that means seat and pedal changes.

Too much to think about!

The crab continues...

It's 38 and sunny. I'm on Spring break with no plans. Sounds great right? I have an upper respitory thing going on and a really sore throat. My new bike comes into the shop on Monday. I HAD BETTER FEEL FABULOUS BY THEN!!! (shaking fist in the air)

Robyn:

So what do you find so interesting if you yourself have several bikes??

confused,
    karen

Well, the hard tail isn't really mine. It started as my husband's mtb and it's the one i started riding on, before i got my road bike. Now it's esentially set up for any guests we have, who may want to ride with us, or my son who uses it once in awhile. I think what I meant is that I have a nice road bike, a good mtb, so I don't know if I would buy, let's say a hybrid or cross bike to use at this time of year. I have seen some group rides that focus on trails and roads in one ride (easy stuff) that would not be fun with my mtb on the road part and impossible to use my 5200 on. I think eventually, I might do this, but not this year.
    Of course, today, the warmest day of the weekend and i don't feel so great. I went out to do a hill ride yesterday and ended up not doing that route, only going 17 miles. My legs felt like lead and my attitude sucked, too. I should stay home today, but it's so nice out!

Hey Robyn,
    Sorry you don't feel well. I've had the same problem this week. Think I'm fighting a bug off, but just feel run down. Opted out of a ride with hubby yesterday and today so he took my son.

Have you thought about just putting slicks on one of the mountain bikes for a few weeks till the roads are cleaned up? Probably the hardtail would be best.
    My Surly tank is great because its a cross bike I can put fat tires on and ride the dirt and then skinnies when I ride the road. I pay on the hills because its heavy but I need the workout anyway.

Feel better, we hit the 50's this week I hear.

is it really spring

We have had sun for the last 10 days, so now only about a foot and a half of snow left. The paved roads are clear, other than a lot of sand on sides, still chilly -10 c or so in am, but I couldn't wait any longer, I went out for a ride on 21, 22 early in am so that the mud on my road was still frozen, got out to the paved and away I went, it so fun to pedal and move forward, not just stay put, trainer is ok for winter, but not the joy you get by going somewhere. I can't believe how I felt so young and carefree on that first ride last week, felt like I was 6 getting my first very own bike (had to ride to school), I am 53 now, but still feel like a young chick getting out and riding. The last few days have had a dreadful cold, can't taste anything or breathe and eat at the same time, but took Vinny(my bike) out anyway, not great speed but just fresh air. Back to work tomorrow, on the 11-7 shift so am thinking of maybe commuting to work(approx 25 miles) and having my daughter pick me up at 7 (too dark for me) will depend on this cold, but that is my goal for this riding season, to commute 3-4 out of 5 days. I think the older I get, the more I appreciate spring. have a great day everyone Lori

Seems like there are a lot of colds going around this list. I did the right thing Surly, and did not ride Sunday. I did go for a 3 and a half mile hike in some local conservation land; about 500 feet of climbing in mushy snow. I probably shouldn't have. But I feel better today. I had my last session with the personal trainer today. More time to ride... I have a dentist appt. Wed. and i am not going to work (although i could have gone in late) so I can come home and ride. Thursday looks good, too.
    Saturday I am going to a bike maintenance workshop. I hope I actually learn to change a flat. With all of the mechanically inclined people on this list, I am embarrassed. When I ride by myself, I tend to not go more thn 20-25 miles because I am so mechanically challenged and worry that I might have an issue. I wish I could say this is a case of being of a generation that didn't teach women these skills, but my dad was the klutz in my family and my mom could fix anything.

Doing the happy dance. What great weather! 54 and climbing. Hope all who still have snow get a chance to get out.
    Hey Robyn, where is the clinic on Saturday, maybe I can escape and join you?

Yipppeeeee

I rode today!!!....first time since 03/11. I still have a slight nagging cough in the morning but I figured cover my mouth in the AM, do an easy "recovery" type ride and drive tomorrow as a rest day. It just felt sooo good to be out there again on the bike! and in the 70s this weekend so I might try another easy ride!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    Doing the happy dance. What great weather! 54 and climbing. Hope all who still have snow get a chance to get out.
    The clinic is at the Trinitarian (sp?) Church in Concord Center, on Thoreau ST. It is sponsored by AMC. You have to be there at 9:45 AM, bring a wheel, tire irons, pump, and lunch. I am not sure if there is still room; it says you can register at the door, but there is no phone # for the guy I sent the check to. If you go to the web site www.outdoors.org and scroll down on the right side, click on the Boston Chapter. When you get to the chapter home page, you can find the cycling activity page and you might find something there.
    I am going for the techie stuff. I think there will be some stuff in the afternoon that will be too basic for me (and you).
    I finally rode 20 miles yesterday with some hills. Today I did 14.5 and I feel like I have never ridden. This is quite discouraging! Let me know if you are coming to the worksop.

When are you girls going to post some pictures? You've seen us northern Californians! We've seen emily's trails. We've seen Irulan hugging a tree. When we going to see you?

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    When are you girls going to post some pictures?
    Hmm... I'd be happy to post some pics, but unfortunately we seem to have another serious rain storm getting in the way of cycling this weekend - at least in the Boston area. Sounds like Saturday will be a total washout, but there's still a possibility of a Sunday ride (I know, I know, I'm just dreaming...). If the weather permits a dry ride, I'll bring my camera with me. Pictures may be coming...

Can you gals in California send some of your nice weather our way?

In the meantime, here's a non-biking photo from my early morning walk on Tuesday (3/29) - anyone for some very wet riding? Not me - my bikes like staying on the road, and they don't like riding through standing water!

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 03-31-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    If you're still looking for clinics - I took a couple of one-on-one sessions at Belmont Wheelworks before I started touring on my own. I just checked their web site, and it looks like they have both individual classes like I took and Park Tool classes that look more like structured classes. I was really happy with my one-on-one sessions. More info at http://www.wheelworks.com/class.htm.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Smile

Hey Robyn I'm not going to make it on Saturday, to many kid obligations. Looks like a good thing to do on a rainy weekend. You'll do fine.

Here's a ride to consider and I've heard its lots of fun. The Flattest Century in the East. You have to register early though since it fills up by June. You can choose 25, 52, 68 or 100 miles. This is a ride, not a race the organizers say. Check it out. www.nbwclub.org and then go to the Flattest Century page. You can print out a registration form. I think Hubby and I are going to do it and it gives us all summer to train since its not until September.

Hey Denise, that looks like my back yard! The old Blackstone River has been over its banks once already this week. Good thing I live up on big hill.