How tall are you?

At 5-1, I don’t think my height is that uncommon. It may be shorter than the US average of 5-4, but my area (Southern California) is about as ethnically diverse as you can ask for, and I see many female cyclists around my size.

From observations and anecdotes – purely unscientific, I assure you – I noticed that my shorter climbing compatriots find the Specialized Ruby to be the favorite (including myself). Off the top of my head, I can name 5-6 KOM-type short women who ride the Ruby Pro or S-Works.

I have also noticed that my female racing teammates tend to be taller (on average). Most of them are taller than 5-5 and choose to go with non-WSD bikes: i.e. Specialized Tarmac over the Ruby; Cannondale System 6 over the Synapse Feminine...

I’m curious to know what is the “real” marketplace for women’s bikes and accessories. I have had trouble finding small bikes that fit and have talked to quite a few women in the same boat.

Are bike manufacturers out of touch with their customers or are there really so few short women outside of my area?

P.S. Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a search but couldn't find anything.