Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: How tall are you?

Voters
383. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-0 or shorter

31 8.09%
  • 5-1

26 6.79%
  • 5-2

27 7.05%
  • 5-3

41 10.70%
  • 5-4

54 14.10%
  • 5-5

37 9.66%
  • 5-6

45 11.75%
  • 5-7

48 12.53%
  • 5-8 or 5-9

48 12.53%
  • 5-10 or taller

26 6.79%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

How tall are you? (Women only, please)

To disable ads, please log-in.

How tall are you?

At 5-1, I don’t think my height is that uncommon. It may be shorter than the US average of 5-4, but my area (Southern California) is about as ethnically diverse as you can ask for, and I see many female cyclists around my size.

From observations and anecdotes – purely unscientific, I assure you – I noticed that my shorter climbing compatriots find the Specialized Ruby to be the favorite (including myself). Off the top of my head, I can name 5-6 KOM-type short women who ride the Ruby Pro or S-Works.

I have also noticed that my female racing teammates tend to be taller (on average). Most of them are taller than 5-5 and choose to go with non-WSD bikes: i.e. Specialized Tarmac over the Ruby; Cannondale System 6 over the Synapse Feminine...

I’m curious to know what is the “real” marketplace for women’s bikes and accessories. I have had trouble finding small bikes that fit and have talked to quite a few women in the same boat.

Are bike manufacturers out of touch with their customers or are there really so few short women outside of my area?

P.S. Sorry if this has already been asked. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I am 5'2" and a few tenths of an inch. I ride a Cannondale Synapse Feminine, I can't even find a men's bike for commuting that will fit.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

5'6 Specialized Allez

5'8"
    Shoe size 10.5-11
    I like being tall except for when I shop for clothes and shoes.
    I ride a Specialized Ruby Comp, frame size 54 cm. Women's specific. Professional bike fitter says that is is "just right".
    It's easier to find men's stuff - bikes and shoes - than women's in my size. I had to purchase men's Sidi's.
    Last edited by Flybye; 05-09-2008 at 09:53 AM.

5'6". For the most part I can fit on both women's bikes & men's bikes.

4'10"...tell me about finding an adult bike
    I ride a Lightspeed Bella XS - 650 wheels. I really like it, but did have to switch to flat bars because I didn't feel I had control with drops.

I am trying to find a new commuter. I was looking at the 44cm Volpe, but decided the standover height was too much of an obstacle. The reach felt great, but when I had to make a 'defensive' stop on my current commuter, I realized I would have been in trouble with the Volpe. I have decided to wait out the Soma mixte and hope I can get one of the first (they said only 60 will be produced in the first round)...

I'm the average of 5'4", but I have extra short legs and a long torso. If they made men's bikes small enough for me, I wouldn't need a WSD. It's just rare to find a stock men's bike smaller than a 48cm, so I have to buy WSD and make my own alterations until I can afford to go custom.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

5'8- ride a Cannondale WSD, R-series, frame size 56. Men's bikes do not even come close to fitting me- the top tube is too long.

I'm 5'10" and ride a 56cm Trek 1500 WSD.

On my commuter (Trek 7.5FX) I don't mind the wide bars but on my road bike I need a narrower grip to accommodate my torn rotator cuff, the 1500 has been a great bike for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I'm the average of 5'4", but I have extra short legs and a long torso. If they made men's bikes small enough for me, I wouldn't need a WSD. It's just rare to find a stock men's bike smaller than a 48cm, so I have to buy WSD and make my own alterations until I can afford to go custom.

Yep, I'm like you, but 5'5". Long torso...short lets. My current bike is 48cm, not women's specific. When I got a fitting done in Feb. only very minor adjustments needed to be made. The fitter said I had things dialed in pretty well.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

i'm 5' 2" and a half, so i just round up.
    i have a Trek 1000 WSD bike. i didn't do quite the serious shopping i should have, and should my interest continue i will likely shop around for another bike in a year or so. but so far, my little trek has done OK by me.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I'm 5'6 with a short upper torso. Finally ended up with a 51cm Ruby, MUCH better than the 52cm Roubaix I started on.
    -Emily

5'6 1/2 here....(I voted 5'7 tho)

Med torso...Long legged my bike: 54cm Trek 1600 WSD
    DeAnna

Never take life seriously.
    Nobody gets out alive anyway

67.9 inches per my bike fit laser measurement.

Longish legs, not stilts by any means. Realy long arms & broad shoulders.
    I looked for a WSD, but many were too small. I've enjoyed my Felt Z65 - bought it before they came out with their W series. That said, I think it hates hills... I feel like it wants to stop every time I start a climb. Loads easier to blame the bike than my legs & lungs, eh?

5'3", 50 cm Cannondale Synapse Feminine
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler