Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just started commuting myself! It does make you feel great doesn't it? Of course, it will get a little worse here as the temps & humidity rise over the summer.

I work a 4 day week (M,T,TH & F) and am planning to commute at least twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky, Fabulous View Post
    For those that are interested, I did sit and spin up those big hills. It was slow going, but hopefully it will get better with practice.
    I'm really glad to hear that. I believe that anyone can get up most hills by not trying to do it too fast. I know there are mountains and really steep grades that are impossible. I think most people who talk about having to walk up a hill though, could do it if they tried to do it slower.

I could be wrong--but your experience seems to support my theory. So I was really happy to read this!

My boss was telling me he takes a street that I'd avoid, to avoid a hill on a parallel frontage road and gets a lot less traffic. I know exactly which hill he means and I don't consider it to be one of the worst hills. I am 100% certain he could make it up that hill if he would slow down.

I am a huge believer of the sit and spin technique. I learned last year when I started climbing hills with my compact double that I was NEVER going to make it up a hill pushing myself. I just sit back now and enjoy the ride while I spin up those hills going just fast enough to not fall over. I recently made it up the local "doomsday" hill with a fully loaded BOB trailer and I had plenty of air and leg left when I got to the top. I'll never be the first one to the top. Instead, I'll be the one that enjoyed the ride up and is ready for more! bikerHen

Way to go, LuckyFab! That's so awesome and inspiring. Those hills will get easier with time. Just don't ask me how long - I'm not there yet.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17