Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Applied Kinesiologists....

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is this real or quackery?????

What make you say quackery? Kinesiology is applied in the design of lots of products and a kinesiologist may also be a physiatrist.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I googled Applied Kinesiology and viola, article after article about quackery, that is why I said quackery. I do not generally buy in to everything I read on the net, I am crazy, but not stupid, but it was pretty overwhelming that somebody out there has questions about this type of therapy.

Hmmm.
    I was just going by the standard definition.

You'll surely find your answer on Quackwatch, which says in part "...Unfortunately, some professionals and educators refer to science-based kinesiology as "applied kinesiology," which increases the risk that people searching for information will confuse the two."

http://quackwatch.com/search/webglim...ed+kinesiology

I remember, i was in my early 20's and I was seeing someone for ??? I don't even remember now. He put a bottle of pills in my hand and did the thing with the arms, strong / weak with or without the pills. He said, you have worms. The pills were piperazine, a worm medicine.

I took the pills, they acted like a laxative, really gave me gut cramps.

did i have worms? Don't know, i forgot to look, i was too miserable. (and it really po' ed the guy that i didn't check) seemed dumb to me too.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Worms

That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George is too cheap to pay for a tonsillectomy so he and Jerry go to see Tor, the holistic healer.
    Tor tells Jerry he's eating too much dairy and tells George not to bathe with warm water.

The muscle test type kinesiology is a load of bovine excrement. I know a couple of those types.
    They make you drink water to clear your energy if they don't feel anything. 10 seconds later it's supposed to work? Heh? What about absorption time?!

One of'em diagnosed the "root" of a problem with public speaking in me running into a horizontal bar in the school playground at age 11 (nearly cracking my sternum). I do not have a problem with public speaking, just my pathological boss made me go to the seminar.

Kinesiology the other way is kinda like biomechanics. Right?

The funny thing is that the first one I met proudly informed me that this is even something you can study in the 'States. Yeah - that would be the other kind.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    Kinesiology the other way is kinda like biomechanics. Right?
    Right.

My former chiropractor (who is now deceased) was president of the Applied Kinesiologists Association, and wrote books on the subject. I have to say, my treatments were very slow, and involved a lot of laying on blocks, and not a lot of cracking. The diagnostic tests were weird, and involved pressure applied by him to specific points on me, which would sometimes completely disable other parts of my body. Like, he would touch a point on my shoulder, and I wouldn't be able to lift my arm, no matter how hard I tried. This would show him where the weakness was, and where he should put the above mentioned block. At one point, I asked him if he was really applying the same amount of pressure to the "weak" side as to the "strong" side. I honestly couldn't tell myself. He assured me he was, and that the differences I was feeling was due to my inbalances, not his pressure. I really couldn't tell for sure, and so I was always a little suspicious of the technique.

I was seeking treatment for migranes, and it did work, but so does the plain old cracking my plain old (new) chiropractor does, and now I only go about once a year, and I don't get migranes anymore. I was going monthly for the other treatments, with the same result. Oh, and I was put on an herbal supplement to raise my low blood pressure, and that had some very ugly side effects (like it turned me into what rhymes with witch).

My new chiropractor told me that my former doctor was quite famous for the work he did with Autistic children, and I have no doubt that he was sincere in his beliefs in the method. Was it quackery....maybe, but I never doubted his integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Oh, and I was put on an herbal supplement to raise my low blood pressure, and that had some very ugly side effects

Did he sell them or did you get them at a store?

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Did he sell them or did you get them at a store?
    He sold them. Enlightening, right?

Maybe, maybe not. Most veterinarians dispense most of their medications, too - do you think any less of them because of the revenue stream they have there?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    do you think any less of them because of the revenue stream they have there?
    Honestly...yes. At times they seem pushy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Most veterinarians dispense most of their medications, too - do you think any less of them because of the revenue stream they have there?
    I haven't really given where vets are making their money any thought. If it's drug company revenue that's spurring on the prescribing of unnecessary meds, then I probably would think less of them. So yeah, maybe, maybe not.

I went to this doc probably 10 years ago, and I don't remember the pills being outrageously expensive (like, they weren't as much as my bc pills are now), so, for sure, he wasn't getting rich off me...but maybe there was a cummulative revenue incentive. If it turned out he was profitting big from the supplements, I'd question his motives. He appeared to me to be a sincere man who had some pretty radical ideas about health, but maybe he really had a mattress full of dough he'd swindeled from the suckers like me who bought his snake oil .

Neither the treatments nor method were the best choice for me, but it could be the life changing for someone else. There are probably lots of people who think acupucture is quackery, too, and lots who believe it has proven benefits.

Don't waste your $$

I had this done several years ago. The "doctor" said I did not have lupus - hmmm - maybe my board certified Georgetown graduate rheumatologist needs to know this!

I went to a chiropractor for pain in my leg. He did this & diagnosed childhood traumas that he needed to clear.

Last - my DOG had this done. They diagnosed leaky gut & gave him herbs. They didn't work & he hated them.

That's my experience!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid