Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

shortie needs help finding bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

alright...so here's the deal. i'm actually male. i hope that's ok. i'm short. i hope that's ok too. i'm looking for a good cx bike that won't break the bank and that will fit me!!!!!!!

i'm 5'5" which is darn short for a guy. and my inseam is around 28.5" (724mm). i say 'around' because i swear it changes!!!! it's been as low as 28.1" and as high as 28.9"! i measure myself barefoot with my feet about 3-4 inches apart. i measured myself this morning and it was 28.9". i can BARELY stand over the top tube of my 2007 specialized roubaix expert compact rival...which as a alleged stand over height of 724mm.

i'm sorta fixated on my inseam because that's where i same to run into fit problems. doesn't seem like there are many affordable and race-worthy cross frames that will fit me! i prefer steel or titanium...but i'll go carbon or aluminum if i have to.

so what bikes have fit the shorter ladies?

thanks!!!!!

How about a Rivendell Legolas?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    How about a Rivendell Legolas?

V.
    hmmm...well, i just took a look at it. $1800 for frame, headset, and fork? did i read that right? my build kit will be $1000 or more. that total build might cost me $2800 minimum...probably closer to $3500. i think i want something more affordable if i can!

reason being...i've never 'crossed before so i don't want to break the bank. also...i'm planning on getting a new road bike, a entry but good touring bike, upgrading my tt/tri bike, getting a entry but good mtb, and mayb getting a fixie...all within the next 12 months!

buying bike stuff is my drug...

42 cm surly crosscheck?

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Surly Crosscheck or Soma DoubleCross would be my first thoughts. IIRC, they're both compact geometry, and come as small as 42 cm.

short n fast

OK, so you are 5'5", and a guy. welcome to our height. 5'5" is not short for a lady (not to say that I am a lady, but anyway...) any good brand will have a 44-49 in their line, and any real bike shop will have a selection of these sizes, without you breaking your piggy bank.
    do you want a cyclo cross bike? try the Bianchi Cross Concept - they've got the widest range of sizes of any bike manufacturer - hence my nickname...bianchibikermom... to be more specific, short bianchi cross concept mom.
    ride in the mud

Bianchi makes the VOLPE too, it's a cross bike and it come in a small size
    and last i looked it was less than 1000 .
    Last edited by mimitabby; 05-05-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

If you're looking for a cross bike - redline makes a 50 and I think a 48 - I have a 50, I am 5'4". You could try either one.

spoke

Redline

I'm 5'4" and ride a Redline conquest in a 48cm. It's perfect. I also tried a 49cm Bianchi Axis but the top tube was a bit long.

With your standover, the Surly is probably out. The smallest size it comes in (42cm) is listed with a 28.8" standover.

A 44cm Bianchi Axis or a 42cm Soma Double Cross might work, as they're both listed with 28" standover, but they could very well be a bit too short in the top tube for you--both are around 520mm effective top tube.

I'm about the same height as you, with just a tiny bit more inseam length, and my bike fit problems are generally around finding something long enough across the top that's short enough for me to get my legs over.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Surly Crosscheck or Soma DoubleCross would be my first thoughts. IIRC, they're both compact geometry, and come as small as 42 cm.
    looked at the cross check...their smallest frame might have be a bit too tall for me...i don't think i'll have the stand over clearance. thought about the double cross as well...but i've only found it sold as a frame. ive never built up a bike before...not sure if i'm prepared to pick out every thing, from fork to handlebars...especially for cyclocross since it'll be my first foray into the fray. i could probably build up a roadie...but i'm just not familiar enough with cx components...

I ride a 50cm cross check and have a 29" inseam. I think Surly is pretty generous with their standovers (when I first got it, it had 35mm tires, so should have been worse than spec).

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Sayler View Post
    OK, so you are 5'5", and a guy. welcome to our height. 5'5" is not short for a lady (not to say that I am a lady, but anyway...) any good brand will have a 44-49 in their line, and any real bike shop will have a selection of these sizes, without you breaking your piggy bank.
    do you want a cyclo cross bike? try the Bianchi Cross Concept - they've got the widest range of sizes of any bike manufacturer - hence my nickname...bianchibikermom... to be more specific, short bianchi cross concept mom.
    ride in the mud
    you'd think it'd be easy. tried my bianchi dealer...the cross concept comes in a 44 which MIGHT fit me but they don't stock that size (same with axis and volpe). besides...to be honest, i think aluminum would be my last frame material choice. trek doesn't make a cx bike small enough...giant doesn't make a cx bike small enough...blue doesn't make a cx bike small enough...specialized doesn't make a cx bike small enough...

now...pinarello has a cx bike that SHOULD fit me...but my pinarello dealer will have to special order the smallest size for me. but they won't order it unless i buy it so i can't know for certain unless i just buy it...and the carbon cross bike is something like $3400...

*sigh*

i was hoping to stay under $2K since i'm not sure if i'll love cyclocross or not...

Nice thing about the Legolas is it also makes a great road bike. That's actually how I set mine up.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    If you're looking for a cross bike - redline makes a 50 and I think a 48 - I have a 50, I am 5'4". You could try either one.

spoke

i don't have a redline dealer near me, which sorta stinks because i'd rather buy from a local bike shop if possible. also...after perusing redlines website, their cx bikes might not fit me...their smallest size (44cm) has a standover of 736mm...my inseam with my feet 3-ish inches apart is 724. it MIGHT fit since shoes will add a few centimeters...but off setting that would be the fact that my feet are much farther apart than 3 inches when actually stand over a bike...