Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    You might check out Redline just for kicks too - I have an inseam maybe a bit shorter than yours. I think mine is 28.5 - 29ish depending on how tight I want to hold the book . I can stand over a 44cm Redline - but being that I'm only 5 feet even, with that inseam, the reach is way to long.... Now I am not too sure how much I'd want to *race* said 44cm bike... the clearance is small enough that a misstep on a mount or dismount could be diasterous, and I'm not a man.

i looked at the redline bikes...according to their site, the standover on the 44cm bike is 736mm (28.98 inches). i thought that might be cutting a bit close!

What about a Kona Jake or Jake the Snake?

I know the latter is a bit expensive (I built one up from the frame for around 1k, not including the wheels).

I'm 5'4" and have a pretty short inseem and it fits me just fine. I don't even have the smallest one Kona makes.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    What about a Kona Jake or Jake the Snake?

I know the latter is a bit expensive (I built one up from the frame for around 1k, not including the wheels).

I'm 5'4" and have a pretty short inseem and it fits me just fine. I don't even have the smallest one Kona makes.
    if you get a chance, can you measure your inseam? because i had completely discounted kona's because according to their website even the smallest kona cross frame has a standover of 755cm (29.7")...that think might castrate me!

If you want to see if you enjoy racing cross before you spend lots o $$ (what's not to love!?), perhaps you could race on a mountain bike first (assuming you have one). Quite a few people do.

Quote Originally Posted by LainiePants View Post
    If you want to see if you enjoy racing cross before you spend lots o $$ (what's not to love!?), perhaps you could race on a mountain bike first (assuming you have one). Quite a few people do.
    nope, i've been strictly a roadie. this will be my first foray off pavement! lol

There's also the Novarro Pulse with 26" wheels from REI, which also happens to be on sale right now...
    http://www.rei.com/product/760877

how important is standover clearance? is it ABSOLLTELY necessary to have standover clearance? cuz...how often will i actually be standing over the bike with both feet on the ground? i don't NEED standover clearance when i mount and dismount.

hmmm...

any fit experts with thoughts on this?

I'm no fit expert, but I wouldn't want it to be too close on a cross bike. I think you don't have inches of clearance, but you wouldn't want the bike to *ahem* jam into things either.

I have a cross check. I do not ride cross - I ride roads with it (love it anyway). Flatfooted, the bar just barely touches. I think it's OK. I wouldn't do more than that. (and I really do question Surly's measurements - I shouldn't be able to straddle my bike. But I can.)

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    I have a cross check. I do not ride cross - I ride roads with it (love it anyway). Flatfooted, the bar just barely touches. I think it's OK. I wouldn't do more than that. (and I really do question Surly's measurements - I shouldn't be able to straddle my bike. But I can.)

CA
    Ditto.

Love my Cross Check. Also love my Waterford X-12 and my Giant RS940, which fit me the same way.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

There's a very nice shop in Dexter which deals Cannondale and Diamondback but the standover heights might not be short enough

Which shop is a Bianchi dealer?
    Last edited by Ana; 05-13-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    There's a very nice shop in Dexter which deals Cannondale and Diamondback but the standover heights might not be short enough

Which shop is a Bianchi dealer?
    Ride Boutique in downtown ann arbor used to be...but i think they're done with bianchi. i'm not positive though...i'll have to call and find out...
    Last edited by celerystalksme; 05-13-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Hi! My height challenged friends just bought Ridleys & love them!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hi! My height challenged friends just bought Ridleys & love them!
    according to their specs, ridley's shouldn't fit me. their 41 is too small...48 is too big...nothing in between...

Same situation

Just came across your post. Not sure if you've found a bike, but, I"m really short too. Only 5 feet 2 inches. Had a really hard time finding a cyclocross bike. I ended up getting a Specialized Tri-Cross sport. Fits great. I love it. A good bike store will measure you and be able to suggest the best bike to fit you.

I think a 44 cm bianchi volpe would be perfect for your needs. Its steel, it has mounts for racks and fenders so doubles for touring, it has the standover you need, and its under a kilobuck.

I rode with a women from this list once that has one and it is a very nice bike.