Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What about behind the knee pain?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I tried to find this discussion already, but it seems y'all are talking about regular front knee or side knee pain.

I sometimes have horrible pain behind my knee, on the backside of my leg. It showed up on one of my 5k's and then I was fine for a 10k and 12k. It showed back up a month later on a 1/2 marathon and I could barely bend my leg to move forward. My quads don't hurt.

Any ideas?? I've been off for a few months and started running low (1-2 miles) and it's fine so far. What is it?
    Last edited by activediva; 05-01-2008 at 04:30 AM.

I had that last fall. Turned out it was fluid. Not a tradtional Baker's cyst, but fluid build-up from the hamstring being irritated at its insertion. Stretching and ice fixed me up.

Possibly popliteal tendonitis.
    Have you had a previous knee injury?

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Back of the knee pain is really tough to dignose but the two suggestiond given by Zen and RnR are a good start. I would also go as far as to suggest you start doing some yoga. A lot of these problems are related to muscle imbalances, often around the hip and yoga helps to identify and correct these.

Hope that helps.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by activediva View Post
    I tried to find this discussion already, but it seems y'all are talking about regular front knee or side knee pain.

I sometimes have horrible pain behind my knee, on the backside of my leg. It showed up on one of my 5k's and then I was fine for a 10k and 12k. It showed back up a month later on a 1/2 marathon and I could barely bend my leg to move forward. My quads don't hurt.

Any ideas?? I've been off for a few months and started running low (1-2 miles) and it's fine so far. What is it?
    don't mess with guesses - get to a doctor so that you can really get this figured out and get on with healing. It could be simple tendonitus, or something more serious - why leave it to guesses when you can get it fixed?
    Good luck!

My .02 - from a person with a roadmap of injuries from sports

Quote Originally Posted by Julibird View Post
    don't mess with guesses - get to a doctor so that you can really get this figured out and get on with healing.
    Heh.
    You think we're guessing? Yes we are. But she gave a lot of good information to go on.
    If you go to a GP, they're guessing.
    If you go to an Ortho, they only know hammers and saws.
    If you go to a PT, they're somewhat guessing but from a much more experienced POV.
    Wahine knows her stuff and I can often fool people into thinking I do

Last edited by Zen; 05-02-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Heh.
    You think we're guessing? Yes we are. But she gave a lot of good information to go on.
    If you go to a GP, they're guessing.
    If you go to an Ortho, they only know hammers and saws.
    If you go to a PT, they're somewhat guessing but from a much more experienced POV.
    Wahine knows her stuff and I can often fool people into thinking I do

Zen, I meant NO disrespect for you or anyone else who tried to help - indeed, your comments were sharp.

If our fellow forumite has something more serious (bloodclot, bone infection, etc, etc) I would hope that she finds an excellent and artful doc to give her the right diagnosis - yes, she might (or likely) have to go to a few before she gets one who gets it right. Sometimes things aren't what they seem. That's why a good scan can show what's what.

And yes - PTs seem to have more on-the-ground knowledge about what's up with their patients! Thank goodness for that! If Wahine is a PT, then props to her for knowing her stuff. I'm new here, so I don't know the backgrounds of the forumites.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Possibly popliteal tendonitis.
    Have you had a previous knee injury?

I've been healthy and never have had any leg problems. I have no faith in any doctors here and would probably have to drive to Seattle (2.5hrs) to get someone good. I had skin cancer 2x and went to several doctors and one surgeon who all said I was nuts. I knew my mole/skin wasn't right and finally went to a doctor near Seattle who not only removed it, but had me come back because they didn't realize it had gone so deep and had to take more cells! I tried to ask several "friend" in the ER but no one seems to know.?
    Check out my charity fun run! http://runforyourlife.cityofml.com

No, I didn't think you dissed me at all.
    But for something that's intermittent(clue#1) it's more likely an inflammation that subsides with rest.
    But that still leaves us with finding the cause which is where a good PT comes in mighty handy.

I'm a big fan of PT before spending unnecessary time and money for scans and x-rays.

Thanks Zen. I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Julibird makes a good point that it's always better to consult with someone in person than on the net. This is an unusual forum in that we have a lot of professionals here, but even then, nothing takes the place of one on one.

There are a couple of things in this case that in all probability indicate a mechanical cause for the problem leading to inflammation. All painful expisodes were associated with mechanical stress - running. The pain is not consistent, that is, it's not present all the time and can be absent for long periods of time. This is a good indicator that what is happening here is not something more serious, such as a blood clot (which usually happens in the calf) or a bone infection.

Seeing someone is a great idea and that someone should be a person well versed in musculoskeletal problems. A PT would be a good start and they could definitely point you in the right direction for further testing if it's warranted.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wahine, I am in Moses Lake, know a good referral? I see you are just down the way from me.

I was just so mis-grossly diagnosed here in town...not sure where to go.
    Check out my charity fun run! http://runforyourlife.cityofml.com

I would check out this list and see if there is someone close to you. The more qualified PTs on the list have a COMT and/or FAAOMPT after their name. But anyone on this list will be better than average (hopefully) as they have actively sought out very post graduate training.

Hope that helps.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I just did the Shiner Gasp yesterday. Now I have some knee pain behind the knee. It feels a littl swollen. Packing with ice should do the trick, or should I just call my doctor?

park side PT

hi ACTIVEDIVA

i used to live in spokane and went to a great PT named Brad at parkside PT. he is a great athelete himslef i highly recomend him. if you go tell him i say hi.

here is his number
    509-323-0066

thanks kandis