Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Unhappy My first TNT Century Ride is only a month away....I'm worried

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies,

I'm a first time poster but I've been lurking since January when I decided to join Team In Training and try my first century in Lake Tahoe on June 1st. Before this my longest ride had been ~30 miles and I only rode a few times a year to keep my bf company. So in January as I was thinking about how I never keep my NY resolutions, I decided that this this year would be different. I wanted to do something in honor of my mom who lost her battle with cancer in 2006.

So I joined TNT because I knew that I couldn't do it by myself....I don't have the discipline and I need to get my butt kicked once in a while to keep going ;-) I've been training for 3 months now and I just completed my first metric century this past weekend, so I'm very happy with my progress. BUT the big day is only one month away and I honestly don't think I'll be ready. I finished the 62 miles, but it was very painful. I'm battling a few things:

1) Saddle soreness - my seat bones hurt but the main problem is with my soft tissue...ouch! I changed my saddle to a Selle Italia with a cutout all the way to the back. It's better but still hurts. I haven't used chamois butter, would make a big improvement or should I think about changing shorts or saddle or both?
    2) Hills - I've learned to stand up, but my legs get super tired and my knees hurt. Is it better to do it seating down at the lowest gear possible? There's going to be 2 big hills one 12%
    3) Fundraising - I've gotten a lot of support from friends and coworkers but I still need more than $1000 and I've exhausted my contacts. I just moved here so don't know anyone in the area (difficult for hosting local events). Any other suggestions?
    My personal page is at http://www.active.com/donate/tntor/RinaPaguaga

I worried there's TOO MUCH to work on in only one month. HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Delfin I wish I'd seen your post sooner so that I could have offered some advice! AMBBR in Tahoe was my first century, through TNT in 2007. I was brand new to road cycling, and there was a point halfway through the season where I really felt like quitting. But thankfully I didn't and am still riding with the friends I made from my first season, and also my second (Solvang 08).

So your event was this weekend? How was it for you? Did you meet your fundraising goals? I really hope your experience was a good one, and something that has positively changed you.

Talking I did it :)

Hi Cheryl, I didn't think my post ever made it to the board (it took days to load). I posted it after my 62 mile training ride which didn't go well, but things turned around and I got most of my worries covered I still need about $400 for my fundraising goal...hopefully my update email saying I did it will get me some $.

I just came back from Tahoe and my legs, neck and butt are sore. But it was so worth it. It was an amazing experience! AMBBR is truly the most beautiful ride and the first climb wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I was pretty tired for the 8-mile climb at the end, but I took it slowly and just kept on going until the finish. I'm so glad I did this with Team in Training - it's such a great cause and they give you so much support.

Have you done other TNT events?

Quote Originally Posted by delfin azul View Post

I just came back from Tahoe and my legs, neck and butt are sore. But it was so worth it. It was an amazing experience! AMBBR is truly the most beautiful ride and the first climb wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I was pretty tired for the 8-mile climb at the end, but I took it slowly and just kept on going until the finish. I'm so glad I did this with Team in Training - it's such a great cause and they give you so much support.

My cousin just got back from her 2nd Tahoe TNT. She also said it was amazing!

I'm curious to know what you did to raise so much money? Congratulations on both the fundraising and the ride - that is awesome!!

I've been a TNT coach for about 7 years now, presently coaching a group for the Death Ride in July, and I just wanted to say GOOD JOB and THANK YOU for being part of the team and raising money for such a great cause!

Bravo!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerChk View Post
    I'm curious to know what you did to raise so much money? Congratulations on both the fundraising and the ride - that is awesome!!
    Thank you!! I'm so glad the ride was amazing and I really enjoyed it (wasn't sure I would).

I just moved to Oregon from the Bay Area and I don't know many people here, so I tapped my network of friends/coworkers/family for the fundraising. It was all via email basically. I wrote my letter and sent it to everyone on my contact list and I mean everyone. I setup my website and kept on updating it. I sent out 3 updates (one per month and major milestone). Oh and I posted pictures online which people really liked. I sent out a few letters (via regular mail) to my family and people who are not online much. That didn't really work for me, but others in my team said that was their main source. It really depends on what's the best medium for your network.

Are you doing TNT or other fundraising event?

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I've been a TNT coach for about 7 years now, presently coaching a group for the Death Ride in July, and I just wanted to say GOOD JOB and THANK YOU for being part of the team and raising money for such a great cause!

Bravo!
    WOW the Death Ride - I have a friend who's attempted it 3 times but hasn't reached the 5th climb yet. I don't think I will attempt that any time soon ;-)

TNT does so much good for a great cause. My mom passed away from cancer and TNT gave me the opportunity to get involved in finding a cure and help so many who are impacted by this disease. So THANK YOU for your 7-year dedication to finding a cure and for inspiring so many like myself to do things they never imagine they could.

Are you doing TNT or other fundraising event?
    My biking charity rides have been for MS. My sister in law AND her husband have MS so we ride for them. This year we had our biggest team yet (15 riders - same day as TNT) and I had my biggest fundraising year also ($800 not much by TNT standards). But I'm planning for next year. I want to go BIG for fundraising!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post

Bravo!
    Sarah, are you a coach for the Wine Country team? Or Greater SF? I've gotten to know several of the Greater SF coaches, so I'm just curious!

Cheryl

First off- congratulations on completing your first century and fundraising! I feel like once you make it past that re-commitment point, you will definitely do it. And you did!

I've done two TNT events- AMBBR was my first, and most recently I was SAG Captain for the Solvang Century during winter season. You should definitely consider being a Mentor or Captain for an upcoming event. You'll have a new approach to being a part of the team (focusing more on the participants and not always your own training), and also gain a lot of cycling confidence. For 2009 I'm thinking of Seattle to Portland with TNT.

Outside of TNT, my next charity event will be the MS 150 Waves to Wine. My friends and I would like to start a team, but need to look into how to do that. What's your next ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl SF View Post
    Sarah, are you a coach for the Wine Country team? Or Greater SF? I've gotten to know several of the Greater SF coaches, so I'm just curious!

Cheryl
    I'm head coach for redwood Wine Country. I know a lot of the SF folks as well as I have done several rides with them over the years.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl SF View Post
    What's your next ride?
    Some of my teammates are doing the Peach Century in Salem, so I might do that one (minus the fundraising this time ;-). I'd like to do STP next year hopefully. I definitely want to stay involved with TNT as a volunteer / mentor.

I'm still working on my update email to all my supporters and made a little slideshow with some pictures. Would you take a look at it and let me know what you think before I send it out to all?

Thanks
    I just finished my first Century Ride on June 1st. I did it as part of TNT to raise funds for the fight against cancer.

Checkout my webpage for pictures and training details.

I'm 86% into my fundraising goal...would you like to help me reach 100%?

I'm still working on my update email to all my supporters and made a little slideshow with some pictures. Would you take a look at it and let me know what you think before I send it out to all?

Thanks
    I think it looks wonderful! I'm sure everyone will enjoy reading it and looking at your photos. Send it!