Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

when I am in a jam, I usually pull both feet out of the clips at the same time. That burst of adrenalin has never failed me. But when things are calm, I always unclip the same foot. I unclip more than i have to, because i do not believe i have that many falls left (I have osteopenia), better to be prepared in tough places.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

At least you weren't like me the other day. I went to reach for my water bottle and stupidly forgot that my left foot was still attached (I already took my right foot out) so I ended up losing my balance in the process and fell over at a 4 way intersection for all to see. I bet I got some laughs But this was also my first time using the clipless pedals. The sad thing was that I wasn't even moving and that I already had one foot on the ground lol. I have bruises to remind me of my stupidity.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If you keep at it, clipless pedals will become second nature. I can't ride without them anymore. If I do, my feet lift off the pedal and THEN I'm in trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    If you keep at it, clipless pedals will become second nature. I can't ride without them anymore. If I do, my feet lift off the pedal and THEN I'm in trouble!
    Me too, tulip! I cannot imagine riding on flat pedals now. It is amazing how it becomes second nature.

The first time I ever tried them - with SPDs - I was standing completely still. I clipped in with my right foot, had my left foot solidly on the ground, and fell over to the right....on the ground....in front of a bunch of college guys (including my embarrassed son). I came away with a wonderful chainring bite on my calf. I claimed it was a bear....
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Ok here's my story... lol

I was on a trail with hubby doing a 20 ride and Enviromental warden in his car was coming toward us. He pulled off the trail and left plenty os room for us to ride on by. So far so good, right, WRONG. My caring husband who was ahead of me decides that he's going to stop because he wants to be safe, (how sweet, right, WRONG) I was right behind him with no time to unclip or stop. So I plow into him and fall gracefully to ground, hubby is fine. Was I hurt, no, was my husband laughing at me, YES, so wan't the warden as he drove past us. Good thing I can laugh at myself, to.

Effy: LOL... that's kind of how I had my first fall, too. Guy I was following flatted, we slowed, and he slowed faster than I did.. I unclipped and quickly leaned the OTHER way. Fell straight onto the road, in front of an SUV. Lucky, the SUV driver had better relfexes than I did!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    Me too, tulip! I cannot imagine riding on flat pedals now. It is amazing how it becomes second nature.
    For me it's the opposite--I use flat pedals, can't imagine riding clipless!! Especially with the amount of stop-and-go involved in a lot of my riding. The other day I was riding home from some errands and slid on a patch of sand; I was able to get a foot down quickly and avoid crashing. If I had been attached to the pedals, it would have been a crash on a fairly busy street instead of just an embarrassing slide! No thanks.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

LOL It's is amazing that we fall in the most unusal places and circumstances. Embarassing, very much so, the last time I don't think so. I have a feeling that I have plenty of falls ahead of me.

In the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee

Red face

OMG, and I thought I was the only who ever fell off a bike when it was stationary! I feel so much better! :-) (Didn't have it mounted in the trainer securely enough, it shook loose and off I fell, talk about feeling like a dork!)

Thanks for the smiles! BTW - I'm still on the plain ol' pedals, maybe will work my nerve up to go back to clipless but not for awhile....