Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Mary - {{{{HUGS}}}} - I just discovered this thread and am so sorry I was late sending my good wishes. I hope you will recover quickly and that you have some restitution from this awful experience. -jane
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Hey Mary, hoping things are getting a easier for you, all your bumps, bruises, and boo-boos healing. Your elbow does sound painful..owie. Just wanted to let you know that I was telling Dh about your incident, he wanted me to give you his regards and said "that sucks" when I was letting him know that because there was no broken bones per say, the law was a little more leniant. I also told him that you might not be riding in the AIDS Empire due to this injury, which kinda bums me too as I planned on greeting you at a rest stop again. BUt, you might be a flag car so there is always a chance. Best wishes and hope things are going ok for you and your partner too..

Quote Originally Posted by shellyj View Post
    Hey Mary, hoping things are getting a easier for you, all your bumps, bruises, and boo-boos healing. Your elbow does sound painful..owie. Just wanted to let you know that I was telling Dh about your incident, he wanted me to give you his regards and said "that sucks" when I was letting him know that because there was no broken bones per say, the law was a little more leniant. I also told him that you might not be riding in the AIDS Empire due to this injury, which kinda bums me too as I planned on greeting you at a rest stop again. BUt, you might be a flag car so there is always a chance. Best wishes and hope things are going ok for you and your partner too..
    Thanks, Shelly and hi to your DH too...and re: my elbow - I'll get it MRI'd next week on the same morning I go to the surgeon re: my knee. It's still really painful and very discolored, so something must be going on in there.
    Correct and sadly, this impacts all of my riding plans and goals for the near future and I agree wholeheartedly: it sucks! I had some health issues last year - re: hypothyroid as well as overtraining/exhaustion, so my sports med doctor was already carefully monitoring and coaching me to train for this years rides and I was progressing very well, thank you
    My beautiful Seven is lying in some police evidence room along with Linda's broken Cannondale (but the driver got back her impounded-at-the-scene car the very next day? wtf??!).
    So, I want to get my property replaced as I work on recovering and rehabbing from all of these injuries and changes in my life.
    However, Linda and I are still going to NY in August - only, instead of bringing our bikes and riding, we'll rent a car and provide outstanding road support to our rider buddies. The Empire State AIDS ride route is a bit different this year, so I'll let you know if we're still stopping at Penfield on Day 2 or where else we can catch up with you, ok?
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

Mary -- it must be a disappointing setback after making so much progress . . . if nothing else, it's a good thing you already had a team of docs & PTs in place, that know your history and have been tracking your progress.

Looking forward to more updates, and hoping that your tests provide you with some good, useful information. Hope it's all just a matter of giving your body time to heal.

{{{{{{{{{{Mary and Linda}}}}}}}}}}

I just saw this and wanted to send prayers and good healing vibes to you both. I know how much you both like to ride and how hard this has got to be.

Remember to eat well, take good vitamins and don't let the pain get out of hand. I hope you are able to enjoy some things you normally don't have time for.

A quick recovery to you both.

Love,
    Carole PS Such a weird irony that you were on a trail too
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

All my sympathy!

Just started road cycling, but I've already experienced mad drivers, I'm just glad to hear that you got away alive at least.

Take care!
    Think orange. Earn success.

Hi all - thanks some more for your kind messages...all is going along well as can be...I had my sutures removed on Monday and went in for an MRI on my elbow this morning, followed by a consult with the orthopedic surgeon re: my knee and, he said that, besides 'dodging death' and amazingly, not breaking any bones, that he doesn't think that I'll need anything "more invasive" aka surgery! I'm release to heavy duty PT care ie 2-3x/week for 8wks, so that I can rehab my quads and get treatment for my several sprains/strains, but my patella is tracking ok and only shows mild bruising - oh joy!

MRI report on elbow to come...keeping fingers crossed on that too...
    be careful out there!
    Mary

Mary-

That's great news!!! (at least under the circumstances). Crossing fingers for you on the elbow.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow!! That's amazing. You are doing so well. Keep it up.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

That is nothing short of miraculous.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Hey all -
    I hope all of you are well...it was fun to meet CC and her DH and see our other TE friends, when we gathered in Seattle recently. I was sure tired by the time I got home, though! Seems like most activities take lots of extra effort...I haven't been able to work full days, as my concentration is off and I get so tired so easily, so I've been pacing myself and just kinda moving along here...s-l-o-w-l-y...as all is healing at a glacial pace it seems! I've had follow-ups with docs and have started working with my PT too. Also, both Linda and I have each received a concussion diagnosis, which didn't come as much of a surprise to either of us...I'm still getting headaches, fatigue and other symptoms, albeit mild in nature, they're still challenging for me! I've never been hit by a car before, and all of these injuries and the aftermath are new and unwelcome intrusions into my life!
    Also, I think I'm doing surprisingly well in not sulking when I watch everyone else enjoying their rides! I wonder how I'll feel when I finally am able to ride again?? Of course there's still the huge issue of not having my bike, broken as it is, as yet either; the prosecutor contacted my attorney the other day to say that he wants the police evidence photog to take more pictures of it, before he releases it to me...now THAT's going to be an emotionally tough moment...sigh
    Enjoy your rides and will someone please have a 'whooping, hollerin' gleeful downhill for me??
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    I've never been hit by a car before ...
    and don't do it again. That's an order
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Glad to hear things are progressing, but sorry it's slowly That sucks

Hopefully they'll release your bike soon. Any update on what the charges will be for the driver??

Thinking healing thoughts...

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'm glad you're healing so quickly! I know it seems slow to you, but it sounds like you're making huge strides.

I'm sure you'll have some fear geting back into riding, but think of all the miles you rode without incident. This crash was an anomaly, and it would have happened whether you were on the bike or not.

Have you started thinking about your next bike yet? I know you loved your bike, but there will be a new bike soon! What are you going to get? 5+2=

Thanks for updating and glad to hear that the healing is progressing . . . it never goes as fast as we would like, does it?

Take it easy, and I hope you get your bike back soon!