Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Coughing after finishing a ride...

I don't have asthma (that I know of) I do have mild allergies to something that comes out in the Spring with increased symptoms the past few years - runny nose and itchy eyes but is not bad and really only noticeable on windy days.

Since I started biking a few months ago, I find that while I'm fine during the ride, after about 15 minutes of rest after finishing a ride I start coughing and feel congested. Its not a terrible cough, like an annoying cough that sticks with you after you're otherwise over a cold.

I doubt its exercise induced asthma because I'm totally fine during the ride, its at least 15 minutes after I'm done exercising that I start coughing.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer. I am planning on asking a doctor about it, just thought I'd get a jump on it and see if others have had a similar experience or know why this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec&TrekGirl View Post
    I doubt its exercise induced asthma because I'm totally fine during the ride, its at least 15 minutes after I'm done exercising that I start coughing.
    I have very mild exercise induced asthma and this is usually the only symptom I get... a mild nagging cough for a few hours after pushing hard on a ride. I have to overexert myself severely to get the classic wheezing symptoms.

Ozone in the atmosphere from pollution? I feel that on a hot summer day.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

There is also something called "Pursuiter's Cough" and I am not 100% sure, but I think it is different from "Exercise-induced Asthma".

I typically get Pursuiters Cough after a time trial event. Sometimes I will get it after a very hard road race. I don't get it after training rides.

In a timetrial you are breathing so hard and heavy, it is almost as if the dryness of your throat combined with the heavy breathing "sand-papers" the back of your throat. Consequently, I often have a dry (occasional) cough which can last a couple of hours, or sometimes a couple of days.

When I don't cough, I take it as a sign that I didn't push myself hard enough!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    There is also something called "Pursuiter's Cough" and I am not 100% sure, but I think it is different from "Exercise-induced Asthma".

I typically get Pursuiters Cough after a time trial event. Sometimes I will get it after a very hard road race. I don't get it after training rides.

In a timetrial you are breathing so hard and heavy, it is almost as if the dryness of your throat combined with the heavy breathing "sand-papers" the back of your throat. Consequently, I often have a dry (occasional) cough which can last a couple of hours, or sometimes a couple of days.

When I don't cough, I take it as a sign that I didn't push myself hard enough!
    I'm with Raven. Inevitably after a TT or really hard workout, I will have what I call "biker's cough". Feels kind of like I smoked 2 packs, and sounds about as bad. It doesn't last, and I take it as a sign that I've pushed myself to my limits.

Oh - and I think this has to do with HOW you breathe. When I do these workouts, most of my breathing is through my mouth vs. my nose, and I think that dries the throat, and has a more immediate impact on the lungs (my multiple years of medical training says so anyway ).

SheFly

p.s.
    In case you missed the sarcasm, I am NOT a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

OakLeaf - I can't really say whether or not the cough happens in the same season as my allergies as this is the first time I've experienced the cough after riding - just getting back into bike riding this year after not seriously riding in over 10 years. I'm thinking the allergies may be a contributing factor, along with pushing myself aerobically.

From the responses, it sounds like I'm not the only one to have this.

I was pushing myself because I hadn't been on the bike in about a week and a half and felt like I should make up for it a little. And I'm trying to up my cadence to see what effect that has on my endurance. (I have no idea if that makes any sense, but I felt stronger at the end of the ride than I generally have been feeling and at a higher avg speed. )

Yup, Spec&Trek... if you were pushing yourself, and aren't in the middle of allergy season, I would guess you had "pursuiters cough" / "bikers cough"

Don't worry about it. There is nothing you can do, it does you no harm apart from the irritation, and it goes away

Quote Originally Posted by Spec&TrekGirl View Post
    Since I started biking a few months ago, I find that while I'm fine during the ride, after about 15 minutes of rest after finishing a ride I start coughing and feel congested. Its not a terrible cough, like an annoying cough that sticks with you after you're otherwise over a cold.

Oh, I meant to quote you as well!

My coughing usually starts about 10 minutes after I stop riding...
    Its not a terrible cough, its an annoying dry cough

Do you get the cough only during the same season that you get the allergy symptoms? (sounds like grasses - April/May through June/July?) Or whenever you ride?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I get a cough sometimes after an intense ride. I'm probably wrong but I like to believe it is caused by parts of my lungs being used that don't usually get used and my body is just clearing out any "debris" that is getting into the normally unused nooks and crannies.

As a former long-time heavy smoker (no cigarettes in 18 years), I will take an exercised-induced minor cough any day compared to the coughs I had when I quit smoking (and couldn't exercise much).

Quote Originally Posted by BeeLady View Post
    I get a cough sometimes after an intense ride. I'm probably wrong but I like to believe it is caused by parts of my lungs being used that don't usually get used and my body is just clearing out any "debris" that is getting into the normally unused nooks and crannies.
    I get something like that on rare occasions. When I haven't done anything very intense aerobically in a while, then I do a really hard run or hill climb, especially if I've been sick or exposed to a lot of allergens.

I also attribute it to clearing out the clogged alveoli. I have just a touch of asthma. Do you get a productive cough - with a very stale taste - and a burning sensation deep in your lungs? Someone would have to come up with some very definitive information to convince me that that isn't what's going on.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It is possible that the coughing is do to really dry weather. It should get better as it gets warmer. The warm air holds a bit more moisture. Or it could be related to thermal inversions.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I also attribute it to clearing out the clogged alveoli. I have just a touch of asthma. Do you get a productive cough - with a very stale taste - and a burning sensation deep in your lungs? Someone would have to come up with some very definitive information to convince me that that isn't what's going on.
    That's the best description I've seen for what happens to me. My Doc keeps saying it's exercise induced asthma, and prescribing inhalers. They don't seem to help. It particularly happens in cold, dry weather. This makes sense...

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I get one - not all the time and I cannot ever predict when it will happen, but after a long, hard ride (nothing like a TT or anything like that, though - usually one with a lot of climbing that makes me breathe hard). I get a cough that can last as much as 24 hours. The best way for me to describe it is that I have a tickle way down in my throat that won't go away. If I try to take a deep breath, I cough! It is almost like my chest is constricted slightly and that causes the tickle. I do not have exercise-induced asthma....though I was mis-diagnosed as having it a few years ago.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett