Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

First attempt at a real climb

To disable ads, please log-in.

My hubby and I are getting ready for a 3 day supported ride on memorial weekend that will include lots of climbing all 3 days. We wanted to see how we would do with our gearing and stamina so we could make adjustments beforehand. The riding I do every week always consists of about 1700 ft of climbing (I live in a valley with nowhere to go but up) so I have very little experience.

The ride we planned started from a small town in the Verde Valley called Camp Verde. Our goal was to reach the top, where the Mogollon Rim starts, 31 miles uphill. We started in town to give us enough of a warmup before the climbing began. The first 5 or 6 miles is easy rolling uphill. At about 6 miles it goes up, and keeps going up for another 10 miles. It was 3000 ft of climbing in 10 miles at a 6 to 8% grade. The first 16 miles took us 2 hours. I was doing mostly 6mph, with 4 and 5mph on the steeper sections. I actually enjoyed it. I just found a good pace and let my mind wander.

We took a potty/food break at that summit and had a section of uphill rollers for a few miles. The weather was very nice at 6500ft. Then we hit the next uphill only section and it too was fairly steep. It just kept going, eventually hitting 7117ft. In all, we climb around 4100ft in 31 miles. It took us 3 hours of riding, 4 hours with lunch/potty breaks. Coming back down was pretty fun, but there were still some small rises to go up. Thank goodness for that or my legs would have turned to rocks from all the coasting. It was a great ride and I can't wait to do it again.

This Sunday I am going to attempt to climb the mountain behind my house by myself. It will be 3600ft of climbing in 9 miles. Total ride will be 35 miles. I think I can, I think I can!

Brenda

you sound like you were born to climb!
    keep it up.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Well done!!!
    Let us know how your next climb goes.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Excellent!! Sounds like a great climb!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

That sounds like a pretty tough ride. Nice job!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I've actually the hill going the other direction see here
    I remember I was doing 40-50 mph so it must be difficult going up it!
    two thumb ways up!

Fredwina, I think I have ridden most of what you rode, only not all in the same day! That "climb" into Sedona is my daily ride. I remember back when I first started riding it, how hard I thought it was. Now it is just a short section on my longer rides. My hubby and I have also ridden Lake Mary road but only on our tandem. I remember some pretty steep sections there!

The one thing we have not done yet and have been talking about doing is the climb out of Sedona thru Oak Creek canyon to Flagstaff. The traffic has us a little concerned. Was it bad and would you do that section again? It would be 50 miles from our house to Flag via Oak Creek.

Coming down was fun, you are lucky you didn't have to go up on a 170 mile day!! That would have been crazy. If you ever want to do some fun hilly stuff up here, give me a shout out!

Brenda

Yes, oak creek canyon was really bad! Unless you can start REAL early, I wouldn't do it.
    It's not bad once you got past the scenic lookout.

That really sucks about oak creek canyon, I thought you might say that. I heard someone else say to stay away from it, but it is soooo tempting. I still might give it a go during off season and very early.

I just got back from doing Mingus Mountian. 4000 feet in 18 miles. (32 total) Some sections were not so steep and other sections I was standing in my granny gear just trying to keep upright! I had lots of fun doing it and will do it many times now that the first time is under my belt.

Brenda

Motochick:

Only do sedona to Flag early, early in the morning - it's not bad then, but give yourself plenty of time to get up and get up early cause it is really narrow and winds around a lot at the top. It is populated mostly with tourists and they don't pay to much attention - their looking at the scenery too much!

I would suggest a week day morning, but I drove down it a couple of Sundays ago and it was really deserted then as well. But it was very early.

spoke from Flagstaff

The thought of being on a bike from Sedona to Flag would scare me to death!
    I never liked even driving it. Maybe at 5:30 AM?

Well, riding oak creek canyon may have to wait. It is 30 mies from my house to where the climbing would start. I guess If I got up before the sun, it might be logistical. Weekdays are no problem for me cuz I don't have a real job, that is when I do most of my riding anyways. Spoke, do you ride road? We should hook up sometime. (ride together, not the other kind of hook up) We are up in Flag a lot during the summer, sep when the forest is closed.

Brenda

I ride road, mountain, cyclocross bike - you name it, I ride it. Although I have to admit I haven't been on a bike since February and just rode to work today on one of my mountain bikes. I'm fairly out of shape, but sure willing to go riding. I've been playing tennis all winter and have a team that plays on the weekends, etc., but not every weekend.

PM me about when you might be up here and we'll see if I'm around and available.

spoke

As a flatlander, I'm more than a little impressed. And jealous. It sounds like you did a great job!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher