Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad commute

bad commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, after 4 years of commuting to and fro and numerous close calls, I got hit by a car - big truck actually, Ford F150, doing a sudden right turn.

I have to say that I pretty much won....a couple of scrapes and bruises, thats it.

The bike is fine...at the bike shop getting a going over. A couple of parts were out of wack but nothing a tune-up won't take care of.

Watch those quick right turns.

I wondering if there isn't some power to St. Christopher...I was were my medal at the time.

Any charges on the driver?

Oh, I forgot, thats the beauty of it all......

The SOB sped away and left me laying there!

It all happened so fast that he was gone by the time I looked up and nobody got the plate. I did file a report.

A lady stopped, helped me up and gave me and my bike a ride home. So, there are still nice people in the world.

That sucks, but I'm glad you're going to be OK. Sadly, the truck/bike collision here yesterday didn't have such a happy ending.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

coyote, glad to hear you are ok. People who drive away really rankle me.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

I seriously thought that I was going to die, so I feel just so lucky. I'm going to pick the bike up after work and I'm actually afraid of riding it. I work downtown and although there are alot of bike lanes around town....downtown there is only the one.

I think if I get too freaked out I'll call someone to come and get me or maybe just hop on the bus.

That's crazy. My friend freedom is a bike messenger and that happened to him not to long ago. Around there is some provision for hit and runs where the city will cut the victim a check but his homeland is France so he got denied. Sad but true. Anyhow you were very lucky.

Oh my! So glad you are okay. What a jerk. Did you get clipped by the side of the truck so he might have not noticed? He's (or she's, but I doubt it) a jerk either way!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your accident! How scary!! I'm glad that you're OK and that it's nothing more than a superficial wound. Your psyche may take a little more time to recover, but you'll get back out there and keep doing it. I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Dadblasted driver! I'm so angry he left you.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Coyote, I'm glad you're all right.
    Take your bike and ride it in a safe place at first. There are enough accident victims on this forum that someone can give you more advice. Ride when you're ready.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    A lady stopped, helped me up and gave me and my bike a ride home. So, there are still nice people in the world.
    That part is really cool at least.

Coyote, I am so glad you only have a few scrapes and bruises. You may be very sore tomorrow. You will know when it is right to get back to your commute. As Mimi said, take your bike somewhere where you feel safe. I have had a number of close calls on my commute home and it is usually people making right hand turns. One day I had 3 close calls and I was so happy to just make it home. I wondered if I had a sign on me that said "Go ahead and hit me". Again, glad you are able to post here today!!!!

I am glad that you are ok, my commute also has traffic area. and most of the time i try to take whole lane near intersection. people dont like that. and i get all shouting and horn. but who cares

i hope you get back on your bike soon....

Thanks everyone. I did ride my bike home and I rode it this morning. I did take the route that is mostly bike path. I rode in traffic this morning

My confidence is shaken. I think I will take the bike out on the bike path this weekend and just ride and ride.

Remember, you gotta get back on the horse... hugs at ya...