Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Toronto area biking in mid-May?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

I'm going to be in downtown Toronto in mid May (12-20) for about a week of work-realted meetings and a conference. I'd like to rent a road bike and get out for some rides in the area while I'm there to keep up my cycling fitness. Any ideas on best places to rent a road bike and on cycling routes or group rides?

Thanks in advance!

-traveller (Carol)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    city of Toronto bike map can be found here:

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/map/index.htm

If you are staying in the downtown area, then a suggested ride is much recommended early in the morning before 7:00 am on weekdays when rush hr. starts. Or after 7:00 pm. on weekdays. You'll know what I mean by if you cycle on Front Street by the Union train station/York Hotel during rush hr.... that area is near the Waterfront Trail. With the commuter train crowds pouring out of that station.... On weekends it's easier..

Recommended routes are via the Beaches, (East Toronto), Queen St. E. along Lake Ontario or going west by Harbourfront and..you can go west and north into Humber River park, which hooks into Black Creek Park...to the northern reaches of the city.

By Harbourfront, west along Waterfront bike route is the Music Garden inspired by the cello player, Yo Yo Ma's tv classical music series, "Inspired by Bach"...if you're into that stuff.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/music_index.htm

The woman who has been running this company for over a decade, is a friend of mine and she does know Toronto as a cyclist. (She's done solo bike touring in Europe, etc.) Email her for recommendations on rental bike shops depending on where you are. She and some of us ran the women's cycling group, Women on Wheels, in Toronto for a few years. Yes, she knows a ton about the city
    http://www.torontowalksbikes.com/

http://www.torontowalksbikes.com/descriptions.html

Set aside an hr. to cycling each day to get better feel of the area. Try the Urbane Cyclist bike store in the Queen St. West area..an artsy, funky area. They have a website.

Oh yea, you could go onto Danforth St. into Greektown...which most definitely does have lots of choice for Greek food. Or head south on College St. west of Bathurst into the Italian district.

I hope someone who lives in toronto will respond here. I lived and cycled in Toronto over a decade..still have ties there since have a huge extended family there. I was there cycling every day last summer, trying to cycle off food ..from visiting so many people.

Wishing you good weather during your visit to big T.O.!
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-24-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Many thanks for the info, Shootingstar!

-Carol
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

in Toronto

Hi, If you are still visiting Toronto I can show you a few rides.
    Hope it's not too late. contact me at zlanaya@yahoo.com

Cheers,
    Zora

www.cyclingcitizen.blogspot.com

if you are still intersted just contact me or just reply to this message. I'm living in Toronto - Can you help you with amaing rides. Let me know.

Many thanks for the info, Shootingstar!

From my experience, if the weather is OK (Which is hardly the case) Riding is the best experience in the world!