Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sturdy Tire Replacement

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Trek Hard Case 700 X 28c tires that came with my Trek 7.6 FX are just wonderful for pavement but absolutely NOT wonderful for riding over anything thicker than a dime. Slippy Slidy. Forget grass or dirt paths.

I'd willingly sacrifice speed for stability.

I want a high quality slighly nubby tire perhaps a bit wider that has a puncture resistant liner. Any suggestions?

I use Continental 4 Season Grand Prix tires paired with tuffy liners on my road bike (comes in 700x28). For me it works like a charm and I don't sacrifice speed as I would with knobbys. Just a little extra grip.
    The tuffy liners are a bear to get in at first but I've not had a flat in over 5 years so I'm not complaining. Once they are in they conform to the shape/size of the tire and it is easier to get them in the next time (I change from knobbies to semi-slick on the mtb pretty often).
    Last edited by singletrackmind; 07-29-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmind View Post
    I've not had a flat in over 5 years .
    That is really impressive. I just flatted twice, on the rear tire no less, in a span of 8 weeks. Very annoying. I'm definitely going to check out those tuffy liners.

Are Tuffy Liners enough?

Hi there. I am finally getting miles on my bike after a long hiatus. Ultimately, I want to be riding the 15 miles to work in the morning. The distance is no problem, the crazy Los Angeles traffic makes me hesitant. I ride a Trek Madone with Bontrager Race tires. I have about 350 miles on it and have never had a flat... knock on wood!! About a third of my riding has been on bike paths, the rest on streets.

This thread has inspired me to be proactive about preventing flats... especially if I am riding to work because I have patients scheduled early in the morning and I don't want to be late.

Any opinions on whether the Tuffy Liners would be enough with the Bontrager Race tires or would you recommend the Continental 4 Season Grand Prix tires? It is LA, so we rarely have rain, but it might happen... more than likely I'll be facing glass and stones more than rain, but I'd like to be prepared.

Any thoughts?

For the OP - look into tires for cyclecross bikes - you'll find a wide range of tread depths and styles in the width you are interested in.

For Amy - I think that Tuffy liners can be great and they can be awful... I had them on my touring bike and probably went 15 years flat free. I tried them on my rain bike (skinnier and smaller tires) and the liners put a hole in my tube from rubbing... I put Conti Gator Skins on my rain bike and I've been just fine and flat free with those. The only complaint that I have is that they throw a lot of junk up off the road when it rains.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

East of Eden

Thanks for the reply Eden! Great name, BTW. Makes me think of John Steinbeck and Monterey, California.

In a few discussion groups online, I've noticed that some people are using tires 10 mm wider than the "standard" size that came with the bike and they had no problems and enjoyed a more stable ride on rough surfaces. Is this possible to use wider tires?

As long as they'll clear your frame and your brakes wider tires are fine.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    For the OP - look into tires for cyclecross bikes - you'll find a wide range of tread depths and styles in the width you are interested in.

For Amy - I think that Tuffy liners can be great and they can be awful... I had them on my touring bike and probably went 15 years flat free. I tried them on my rain bike (skinnier and smaller tires) and the liners put a hole in my tube from rubbing... I put Conti Gator Skins on my rain bike and I've been just fine and flat free with those. The only complaint that I have is that they throw a lot of junk up off the road when it rains.
    That was my last flat 5 years ago! After 5 years the tuffy did put a hole in my tube on my road bike (700x23). None of my other bikes have had flats either from puncture or tuffy. One flat in 10 years I am ok with. Guess I'm about due to replace tubes preventively, or at least check them.
    Gator Skins are thinner so I could see where you would have less problem with them, and they are less weight where it matters most. That does come with a price, though.
    Then again, when you consider how much you save in tubeage they may just pay for themselves.

The tuffy/gatorskins will save you from flats, though not sidewall punctures, or punctures/wear from the wheel. If you're getting mostly tread flats they're nice to have. They won't stop the slippery tires of which you speak, that's where you'd give different tread a try.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

OK, so I told my husband I wanted to buy new tires. He said, "Why would you do that? You've never had a flat?"

And what is a good answer? I just rolled my eyes, got on my bike, and rode away. Let's hear it for healthy communication.

I got the Continental 4 Season Grand Prix and Tuffy liners and a tune up for my bike yesterday. I really like the new tires. Maybe they slowed me down a little at first... but not even sure of that. And my carbon Madone seems to absorb any of the difference I might feel with a less smooth tire. I went on my longest solo ride in city traffic yesterday and I felt a lot more confidant... if new tires can do it for me, than it's worth the money. Thanks for all the advice.

Bontrager Elite Satellite Tires

Thanks for all your replies and comments!

I traded out the race tires for the satellite tires and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Much more stability!

I also had green goo put in them since I believe in "wearing suspenders and a belt."