Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Is it "wrong" to buy the same shoe is 3 different colors?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently bought a pair of Keen sandals that may be my favorite shoe ever. They're cute; they're comfy. I think I'm in love, and I'm not really a shoe person so that's saying a lot.

Here's a link. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/22953838/c/106051.html

So, I want to buy them in a different color. The red is oh-so-cute, but they're not very practical. The black would be much more versatile, but they don't have the "look at my cute red shoes" appeal. So, now I want both.

Help! Someone talk me down from the ledge before I hurt myself!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Okay, i'll be the bad guy. You don't need all those shoes. People are starving all over the world, what are you going to do with all of those shoes? We have to escape our consumerist society and think about what we are doing. That's almost $100 a pair. What else could you do with that money?

Having said that, i was presented with the same choices at a shoe store yesterday. The shoes i bought were on sale and in the end, I did buy two pairs, one pair for me and another for my mother.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Indy - are you channelling your inner Imelda?

Get off the ledge. You don't need three pair of the same shoes. As Mimitabby suggested, the funds you save could go to charitable purposes. And that would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Pick a color you think you'd wear the most, or would enjoy wearing the most, and get that one.
    Beth

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    After years of buying shoes only on sale, cheap shoes, no-good shoes, I've HAD IT! My feet deserve better.

I got rid of all of my old TJ Maxx-don't-fit-quite-right-but-only-$25 shoes and started buying all my shoes at Comfort One. I buy ONLY shoes that fit me and ONLY shoes that I will wear. Yes, they cost $100, but they last so much longer than cheapos. I also have fewer pairs of the good shoes than all those cheap-a$$ shoes I had before, and my feet and my back are happy. And when they have a sale, I only buy the ones I would buy if they weren't on sale, and only if they fit properly.

So, I say, if you are going to wear those shoes, and if they will make your feet smile and your back smile and your mouth smile, than you should buy them. I, for one, advocate smart shopping, as opposed to the cheap-as-possible shopping that I used to practice.

Now that I have shoes that I like and that fit, I find myself NOT buying shoes in hopes of finding some that will work for me. I recently passed on a pair of Merrill Mary Janes for $70 at REI for my France trip because I already have two pair of good quality MJs that will do me just fine (and that fit perfectly!). BTW, one pair is brown and one is black.

Again, in the end, I have fewer shoes than I used to have, but they all fit me and they are all very good quality.

Wearing the red ones periodically will make the black ones last longer. What's the difference between this and buying shoes only when the last pair wears out?

Only you, indysteel, can make the moral and financial determination whether you are contributing to society sufficiently in other ways. None of us can do that for you.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 04-21-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Help! Someone talk me down from the ledge before I hurt myself!
    You expect us to talk you out of shopping Hah! It is to laugh

And hey, you're not buying it for your feet, you're boosting the economy
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

she did say THREE colors. And I agree about buying shoes that fit and feel good. I often buy clothing second hand, but I am most picky about my feet and shoes. But I don't think this is what we're talking about here; is it?
    Maybe those Keens Do make her feet feel good. Some people love the Keen fit.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I'd buy them in three colors if I thought I would wear all three and could afford it.

It's your money. You decide what you'll really wear.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Of course I don't need all three pairs. I don't even need two of them. My my thread was intended to be a bit facetious.

But for the record, I'm hardly the poster child for consumerism. I live in a TINY house in a not so great neighborhood, drive a not-so-luxury car that's eight years old, don't own anything "electronic" other than my TV, DVD player and radio (meaning, I do not have iPod, a PDA, a computer, digital camera or the like), wear the same clothes and shoes to work almost every week, have no debt other than my mortgage and have a nice little nest egg saved up. My one and only vacation this year will be a biking/camping trip to TN. Oh, and I give thousands of dollars to charity every year. My biggest and only real indulgence is cycling, but I imagine that's the case for most of us. So, while I don't intend to get another two pairs of those shoes, I wouldn't feel all that guilty if I did.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'd buy them in a heartbeat (if I could afford it). I have the worst time finding shoes that fit, are comfy and that look good. When I do stumble across that combination, I've been known to purchase them in multiple colors...especially when they are quality shoes that will last.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Awww... those poor sad and lonely shoes that thought they were going to have a lovely home.

Now I want the shoes.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Awww... those poor sad and lonely shoes that thought they were going to have a lovely home.

Now I want the shoes.

V.
    you're really bad!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

Now I want the shoes.

V.
    How 'bout you buy one pair and I buy the other and we can live vicariously through one another? We could send each other photos of our feet looking cute and comfortable in various locales. Kind of like the Travelocity Gnome.

See, this is why I only have brown and black shoes in my closet. I ALWAYS end up resisting the urge to buy shoes in a less-than-practical color. My inner child, however, is begging for a pair of red shoes!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

IF you like them so much that you're going to wear them until they're worn out, you might as well buy all three now than one pair now and then another later If not, it's not "wrong", just unnecessary.

I try to apply this rule if I'm "in love" with similar items...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I have a pair of red keens. Makes me happy every time I wear them.

V.

TandemHearts.com