Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    It sure would be nice if more shoes could be resoled/repaired rather than having to buy a whole new pair. Seems like it would cut down on a lot of garbage that ends up in the landfills, as well as saving money.
    It's hard to even find shoes like that. Sad. Everything is throw away. Built to NOT last.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

This is one of the reasons I love the Chaco sandals. They are re-sole-able and repair-able. https://chacousa.com/Portal.aspx?CN=...N=E81374EAC464

Sadly, they are moving production of their Z/1 and Z/2 sandals to china this year

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I have a pair of red keens. Makes me happy every time I wear them.

V.
    Me too! The first pair of red shoes I have ever owned i believe and I love them to death! I wear them with everything! Even when i play volley ball I wear them! Mine are the Newport sandles.
    My dh thought red shoe's would be wierd but since has changed his mind.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    This is one of the reasons I love the Chaco sandals. They are re-sole-able and repair-able. https://chacousa.com/Portal.aspx?CN=...N=E81374EAC464

Sadly, they are moving production of their Z/1 and Z/2 sandals to china this year

CA
    They seem to be one of the few companies who make shoes that can be repaired/resoled. I'll probably try them (assuming they fit me well) when it comes time to replace my current pair of sport sandals. Too bad they couldn't keep production in the USA though.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Opined is an "interesting" word.

Yes, I know she opined, but I was a little dismayed at the moralistic tone this question evoked.
    Can you tell I love to shop? But, because I wear unusual sizes in both clothing and shoes, my shopping obsession is often curtailed. I bought a really nice pair of Dansko dress shoes at almost half off from STP. Alas, they are still too big on me, even in a size 5.5. In fact, this made me think that I will not buy shoes on line again, unless I already have that brand/style and I know they fit me.
    I hate having to go to UPS to return.

Gotta go ride, it's 75 out!

They seem to be one of the few companies who make shoes that can be repaired/resoled. I'll probably try them (assuming they fit me well) when it comes time to replace my current pair of sport sandals. Too bad they couldn't keep production in the USA though.
    Most of my leather work shoes have been repaired or resoled at least once, so I at get a lot of life out of them. My more athletic shoes die an earlier death for one reason or another.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Good taste, Sandra! That is the very pair I bought Friday.

What is it about Keens? I don't know - I haven't had fun shoes like these since my grey and white striped Sportos from high school (early '80s). Or the red and white ones I had after those disintegrated.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Thanks for all your input, ladies. Who knew a couple pairs of shoes could inspire such debate? I don't really see it as a moral decision but as someone who tries to resist materialism, I understand that perspective. But we are just talking shoes, here, and relatively inexpensive ones at that. As it stands now, I haven't purchased either the black or the red. Knowing me, I'll think on it for a while, place one or both of them in the "cart" several times and never buy either. That's often my version of virtual shopping.
    I don't think it's materialism when money is well spent. I have several pairs of keens, ( they fit my low volume foot very well) and I did the math. I spent $54 on sale, and wear this one pair 5/7 days a week. That's an average of 260 days a year. That is 20 cents a day to keep my feet very happy. It's less than 20 cents a day if I keep them more than one year.

We all say, if you find a bra that you like buy lots of them, how are shoes so different.

Keen note.. they seem to use the same last for all of them so they are really easy to mail order from certain sale sites...

Indy! You're an ATTORNEY! You can AFFORD them!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

It sure would be nice if more shoes could be resoled/repaired rather than having to buy a whole new pair. Seems like it would cut down on a lot of garbage that ends up in the landfills, as well as saving money.
    You can get Birkenstocks repaired/resoled. I had my beloved pair spruced up when I was in the States and now they are like new. 10 years and still making my feet very happy.

MP - if I see mismatched suit colours on the catwalk I will know where they got the inspiration from.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

shoes

I never understood the multiple shoe fetish until I started wearing Birkenstocks. I will admit that I actually love buying Birks because I know they will last, can be repaired and will never hurt my feet. I started wearing them because of plantar fasciitis, can't believe I went all those years and didn't know how great they are for those of us with wide, square feet. They are pricey but so worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mupedalpusher View Post
    I never understood the multiple shoe fetish until I started wearing Birkenstocks. I will admit that I actually love buying Birks because I know they will last, can be repaired and will never hurt my feet. I started wearing them because of plantar fasciitis, can't believe I went all those years and didn't know how great they are for those of us with wide, square feet. They are pricey but so worth it for me.
    I have two pairs but love browsing the range when I go past a Birkenstock shop. As you said they are pricey but they last and make my feet happy so who knows I may end up with more.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    You can get Birkenstocks repaired/resoled. I had my beloved pair spruced up when I was in the States and now they are like new. 10 years and still making my feet very happy.
    I wish I had know that before I threw out my old Birkenstocks whos soles had fallen apart!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Birks are my favorite! I have a pair of thong style sandals that I purchased in high school.....wow, more than 15 yrs ago. I need to take them in to get recorked. I also have a pair of Birk hikers that I've even taken snow-shoeing. They were a bit more than what I was planning to spend on hiking shoes at the time but so worth the extra expense. They were comfy right off the bat and I have never had any blisters in them. Very, very good value too. None of my other hikers lasted more than a couple of years, these I've had for maybe 5 years. Too bad they decided to drop the hiking line.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Birk dropped the one line that really fit me, too.

I was so bummed... then I discovered Chacos and Keens!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson