Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

May 24 Northern Neck Virginia ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Northern Neck Bicycling Club and the Richmond Area Bicycle Association are doing a joint ride in the Northern Neck of Virginia on May 24. I hope some of y'all can make it! There will be various levels (i.e. slower than listed). I know, because I'll be one.

Click on the following link and scroll down to May 24.

http://www.raba.org/asp/MonthlyRides...th=5&Year=2008

Ride details

Here's an update on this ride. I hope some of you can make it. Remember, this will be an unsupported ride so please bring any drinks and snacks you might need.
    --Julie

May 24 (Saturday)
    - Ride to Morattico (Joint Ride with Northern Neck Cycling)
    1pm, 40 miles, mostly flat
    Leaders:
    Hugh & Laura Aaron, 804-690-9702, hugh@theaarons.com

Description: Join Hugh & Laura for a joint ride with Northern Neck Cycling (the bike club on Virginia’s Northern Neck) through the beautiful countryside of Lancaster County, Virginia. The ride will start and end at Lancaster High School. Highlights of this rural ride include a trip to the village of Morattico on the banks of the Rappahannock River, a ride (with rest room stop) through Belle Isle State Park, and a trip across the Corrotoman River on the Merry Point Ferry (which runs on an underwater cable). Slower and faster paced riders are welcome and will be given cue sheets so that they may ride at their own pace. As always, tandems are welcome (Hugh and Laura plan to ride their tandem).

Directions: Lancaster High School (8815 Mary Ball Rd, Lancaster, VA 22503) is about 1 hour and 30 minutes from the Richmond Airport so make sure you get an early start, especially if you are coming from the West End or the Southside. Take Interstate 64 East to exit 220 for Route 33 East to West Point. Continue 17 miles past West Point to a stoplight at the crest of a hill in Glenns and turn left onto Route 33/US 17 North. Stay on Route 33/US 17 North for 2 miles and bear right at the Hardees into Saluda. At the traffic light at the courthouse in Saluda, turn right onto Route 33 and proceed 6.8 miles to the stoplight at the Route 3 intersection. Turn left onto Route 3 West and continue on Route 3 over the Rappahannock River (on the Norris Bridge) and through the towns of White Stone and Kilmarnock. Lancaster High School will be on your right approximately 6.4 miles from “downtown” Kilmarnock (Mary Ball Road is Route 3). It is easy to find, but if you have any trouble call Hugh on his cell phone at 804-690-9720

It was a very nice ride, with quite a few folks coming all the way from Richmond. I think there will be another one coming up in July, perhaps July 4th weekend.