Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    I get annoyed at places like Mama Fu's where you order at the counter, pick up your food, and they still have a tip line on the receipt. The cooks are the ones who package the food, yet the checker gets a tip.

CA
    Usually a business only gets to chose only one template for their receipts. It may be annoying, but the technology to print multiple receipt options is probably beyond the budget of take out places.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    Usually a business only gets to chose only one template for their receipts. It may be annoying, but the technology to print multiple receipt options is probably beyond the budget of take out places.
    Yeah, but even if you eat there, you bus your own table and pick up your own food. Uh yeah - they've cooked it. Why do they get $$ "to insure prompt service??"
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Just leave it blank. My drycleaners receipt has a place for the tip too, my point being not everybody's technically savvy enough to change what their receipt says, if they have the option. It's not worth the effort to be annoyed over something so easily ignored.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    Just leave it blank.
    Nooooo! At least put a line through it. I've had a restaurant provide themselves a nice $100 tip by just strategically inserting a "1". Fortunately, the credit card company believed me when I asked them how many college students would provide a $100 tip on a $17 meal.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Nooooo! At least put a line through it. I've had a restaurant provide themselves a nice $100 tip by just strategically inserting a "1". Fortunately, the credit card company believed me when I asked them how many college students would provide a $100 tip on a $17 meal.
    Ditto. We had a 2 added in front of the tip. Fortunately, it was in the days of carbon receipts and we had the carbon.

As far as being annoyed - It just makes for an uncomfortable situation (at least it did in that location), and quite frankly I stopped going there (in part for that reason). That location went out of business. I go to Pei Wei (same food, same distance, no annoying tip line).

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Ditto. We had a 2 added in front of the tip. Fortunately, it was in the days of carbon receipts and we had the carbon.

As far as being annoyed - It just makes for an uncomfortable situation (at least it did in that location), and quite frankly I stopped going there (in part for that reason). That location went out of business. I go to Pei Wei (same food, same distance, no annoying tip line).

CA
    Stuff that really bothers me. Why can't people be honest. I guess I expect too much of people sometimes which gets me frustrated. As for the tipping, if I call and place an order then go pick it up I usually don't tip.

CA
    Good point! I guess I've been fortunate in my restaurant choices.

Sonic deserved the tip

When I was moving here, driving from far northern California, due south and then west to Louisiana, in August... Stopped at a Sonic somewhere in SoCal for lunch - fast food, and they had some shade on part of their lot. I had 4 unhappy cats in two crates, and my two dogs. I ordered my lunch, but before I could dig out the dog's water dish to offer them water and give them a chance to stretch their legs, the waitress (?) was back with a mixing bowl and a pitcher of cool water for the doggies. The girls were very appreciative.

I don't normally tip when I'm at Sonic, but this added bit of consideration for my fur babies deserved the bonus. They also asked if I wanted a couple of plain hamburgers for the dogs, but I thanked them and said no. I generally don't feed my dogs people food, and the girls weren't eating very much on the trip. I did NOT want to deal with upset tummies driving cross country.
    Beth

Carhops. They're called carhops at Sonic.

I would have tipped well in that situation, too. How nice they were to go above and beyond!

Karen

How stupid am I??? I had no idea that sonic carhops made at or above minimum wage. I always thought they made the sub-minimum and have always tipped them accordingly. I don't go there very often, but when I have I have always tipped under that assumption. Wow!! Not that I mind, but had I known I might have just given them change rather than a couple of bucks each time. My sister used to work there many, many years ago, and she made less than minimun and thats what I always based it on.

I tip at a restaurant depending on the service.
    I don't like that tipping has become a mandatory thing. Many moons ago, you tipped because of excellent service, or didn't because of poor service.
    Now you are required to tip even if you get poor service.

I have recieved some pretty bad service where I live, and I can tell you there are many times I don't want to tip, but I still do give at least the 15% tip.
    Donna

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I've never been to a Sonic. I don't think I've ever even seen one. It's a fast food joint, isn't it? I think I've seen commercials for them on t.v. Something about really gross looking drinks.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    Carhops. They're called carhops at Sonic.

I would have tipped well in that situation, too. How nice they were to go above and beyond!

Karen

Thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember. Don't go there very often.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    They actually do everything they would do for you in the restarant, take your order, get the food, pack it up, make sure you have your condiments etc., then deliver it to you. They're taxed based on their sales, just like all the other servers.
    I did the EXACT same thing when I worked at McDonald's PLUS a lot more (cleaning toilets, tearing about shake machines and cleaning those, and a whole lot more). I also made a hell of a lot less than many servers. I wasn't allowed to take tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    When I was a server, I was taxed on my wages and estimated tips, not my sales.
    Are you in a different state? Laws do vary by state. Taxing on sales is common practice in many areas, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    So when you eat at a sit down place... do you not have to tip? You just pay the bill as is, even though a server has helped you?

I haven't been to Austrailia so I'm not sure how it works over there.

I know in other countries the tip was added to the bill already. I didn't like that at all. The server knew he was getting tipped bad service or not.
    Certainly in New Zealand you don't 'have' to tip. Peopel earn at least minimum wage so any tips are bonuses. In a nice sit down resturant I might tip for excellent service, and there is one regular place we go to where we tip a bit (and always get good service). But normal service in a middle of the road resturant I don't tip. Some receipts have a line for adding a tip - but its quite OK to ignore it. You don't have to tip taxi drivers here - I've even had cab drivers seem surprised when I say 'keep the change' from $10 on a $9.50 cab fare (which I would always do).