Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Dolce Vita - Review

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently purchased the Specialized Dolce Vita Multi-Sport.
    Thought I'd post a review here for anyone who might be interested.

In a former thread I mentioned looking at a "super-small". That was actually not a good size for me. Being that I am of average height - a 51cm works well.

HINT:Make sure the bike store clerk has some experience with "girl bikes". Mine didn't - and we wound up sending back the 44cm (way too small) that he had recommended, and getting the 51cm instead. He almost insisted that I get the 48cm - But instinct, and some calculations - i.e. cm's to inches - convinced me that the 51 would be better, and viola...it is.

Part of the reason that I opted for the Specialized is that it came with pedals, and arm rests. The other bikes that I looked at within my budget, ($1,000.00 - 1,100.00) did not. Pedals, etc, would have had to be an extra purchase that I can not afford at this time.

Please keep in mind that the following is a "non-expert" opinion.

The weight: Feather-like, (compared to my Raleigh M80 Mtn bike.)
    Available adjustments: Many to make it more comfortable. I'm still in the experimenting stage.
    The seat: Most uncomfortable seat I have ever had the displeasure of sitting on for more than an hour. (When finances permit - that'll be the first thing that I replace.)
    The shifting: Needed to go back for some adjustments which I thought had been corrected after my trial ride at the store. Problem:Would not shift past the small cog on the triple. (Fixed.)
    The wheels/tires: Beautiful, and pro quality. Makes the ride very smooth.
    The ride: Like gliding on glass. Can fly like an eagle. Did 29.5 on the first ride - (without the mid and high cog), and 35.5 (with) yesterday down Fort Tejon Rd. in Juniper Hills, CA. yesterday.

I wish I could offer a fair comparison - the only other bike I tried was a Trek, and that was on flat ground. Smooth too, but don't know how it would do downhill, and the one I was looking at? Way too pricey for me.

One concern with the downhill: The wind tends to get strong up there, and at 35.5 a swift wind swept underneath me and made the bike wobble enough to make me begin braking quickly. The "lightness" of the bike is not something I'm used to - yet.

The look: It comes in one color - Seafoam - kind of an aqua blue, which I personally love.
    Overall: A purely subjective rating since I cannot make a comparison: From 0-10, it gets an 8.5 at this time. If it weren't for the seat it would probably be a 9 or 10.

You can see it here: http://www.jacksbikes.com/bike%20spe...sport%2005.htm

Happy Biking.

Libre

good review! how tall are you? (i'm 5'2" and have a 51cm dolce)

your comment about the seat is another perfect example of how we all differ on seats! i've always been comfy on the dolce seat.. actually tried the terry butterfly a couple weeks ago and HATED it.. i put the dolce back on.. and i'm comfy again!

i posted in another thread that i've been plagued with shifting issues... i've been told it's a "specialized thing"... but that may just be the shop and having a bad experience with a few specialized (he claims they are a pain to work on and teases me wheneve i bring it it!)

The saddle thing is so funny! Cali, maybe you could send Libre your Terry!

Cali',

I'm 5'6 - and thought that the next one up (54cm) might be too high for me.
    I'm comfortable on the 51.

You're right about the seat - definately a personal preference. The seat I have on my mtn bike, a Serta - love it.

As far as the shifting - can completely understand. When I first got on the bike for a trial run, it was like trying to learn a new language. The bike clerk gave me a few suggestions, which helped a little, and I read the manual for some more clarity.

Maybe the following might help a bit?
    The right shifter: metal outer/black inner -work the small 1-9 cogs. Shifting the black/inner brings it from 1 to 9. Shifting the outer/metal brings it back down.
    The left shifter: metal outer/black inner - work the large 1-3 cogs. Shifting the outer/metal brings it to the largest cog. Shifting the black/inner brings it back down.

Also, I don't know if you had this experience, but I had some trouble with the chain rubbing against the rails. I found by experimenting with the shifters that hitting the left black/inner to one click, centers the rail so that the chain won't rub. Sometimes hitting the left outer just a tad helps too.

My mtn bike shifters are much different. So experimenting with these is a nececcesity. Just be gentle.

If you're still having problems, maybe a few phone calls until you find someone who really knows what they're talking about, (cuz obviously-that ain't me) would help. I usually have to do things the hard way - through trial and error.

Happy Biking.

Libre

I'm about 5 feet tall and got the 44 cm Spec. Dolce Elite. What I did was went to www.competitivecyclist.com and took measurements. With the saddle, not a big fan of the Dolce (comes with the Dolce Elite).. so instead I purchased the the women's specific Jett saddle... and I love it! Have fun with your new bike!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Specialized cranks & chainrings

I can vouch for the problem with Specialized cranks & chainrings, assuming you are talking about a triple here.

I have an older version of one of the Specialized women's bikes (the Allez Vita) and ended up getting REALLY fed up with the Specialized (triple) crankset never working quite right. I had a Shimano 105 set put on and Viola! No more problem. According to my LBS, it's fairly well known in the industry that Specialized doesn't quite have this bit down (that is, their crank/chainring is not compatible with the Shimano derailleur) but that on the "cheaper" bikes (<$3000), they still aren't spec-ing the Shimano. My LBS really worked hard to get the system to work before giving me the news. So now I have Ultegra derailluers front & back, 105 triple crankset, and Ultegra rear cluster (the cluster was an upgrade too).

I also got shorter cranks out of the deal, which made me very happy. My old set makes a lovely garage ornament.

Re: the "rubbing on the rails" and "half shifts"...assuming that's on your center chainring up front, you have discovered the "trim". This trim is your friend; it allows you to use all 9 gears without rubbidy-rubbing on either end.

Incidentally, I am 5'2" and ride a 48 very comfortably. I have kind of short stubby legs. My only other complaint is that it ain't carbon or something a little more forgiving. Someday, when I win the lottery, I may take care of that.

y

yep... mine's a triple... so ya.. ALL the problems! the rubbing (which, when i'm in my middle, front i try to stop the rubbing with the tapping/clicking it... usually works.) sunday i noticed that i was getting some rubbing in my largest gear on the next to the largest ring even i know i can't do the large/large.. and don't... but i always use the large/next to the large and used to have no problems.. guess it needs another adjustment.

it was our lbs, non-specialized dealer that told us about the specialized "problem". i think ultimately i'll just deal with the dropping off the small gear/shifting problems until i decide to get a new bike (ya.. mine's not a year old yet.. but i already want a new one!) rather than invest any money into this one! but we'll see what time brings!

i find it interesting about the bike sizes.. me being 5'2" on a 51.. but when we were shopping.. at couple of different bike shops they commented on my "long" legs.

I also have a 2005 Dolce Comp, 51 and I am 5'2. If you chain is jumping I was told that it is a minor problem with one of the links on the chain. You LBS should be able to see this while turning the wheel.

I do not seem to have this problem, but I do have some rubbing in the gears where the chain is going at more of an angle and that is why there is that slight rubbing. The more use the bike gets the more often things must get adjusted and the should be just minor.

My friend has a 2004 Specialized Allez Comp and my son has the 2004 Allez Elite. None of us seem to have problems with the chain or cranks. Because we all are really happy with our Specialized Bikes, my husband is looking to get the Allez Comp this year.

I just thought I would add my more postive comments as I like the way Specialized does business (also at a dealers stand point which is why my lbs does not carry another brand even though they are very popular) and believe for the price you are getting more value compared to some other brands.

i should add.. since i have made negative posts about my bike... my hubby rides a specialized allez.. and has no issues with it.. however... his has a shimano crank on it... it is a triple (that ne never uses.. but we never spent the money to change it out and now he's looking at getting a new bike.. so no sense in changing it!) but anyways.. he never had the issue with the chain dropping off the inside like mine does! (mine will be sitting in the garage on the middle gear.. i will roll it outside to get ready to leave.. roll the pedals back/up to clip in.. and off falls the chain.. VERY frustrating!

i don't think specialized makes bad bikes.. i think they made a bad crank and should just use the shimano instead! the only issues i've had have been the shifting/jumping/falling off of the chain and my seat splitting at the seams. so i think they should stick to frames and use shimano components!

caligurl-maybe I can help you out

I am really sorry you are having so much trouble with your bike. I know I would be totally fustrated also.

When you pedal backwards even when you are just clipping in the chain needs to be pretty much straight from front to back. I was doing the same thing when I first got my clipless pedals as before I didn't have to pedal backwards to start. I would be in the largest sproket in the front and if the chain was in too easy of a gear in the rear, it would fall off. I now usually stop my bike when the rear is in the 3rd sprocket from the top, front is in the largest.

The crank Specialized uses is really made from a larger company and they just put their name on it. You can probably find the name of the company in back of the crank somewhere. The jumping of the chain can actually stem from your derailleur that needs to be adjusted more. I am getting this info from my husband. He says derailleurs are a real pain in all bikes at some point, however, sometimes like in your instance it might take a bit more time. Trek, Cannondale any of the name brands can have a derailleur that may take a bit more patience to get it adjusted correctly.

I will be honest and say that if you do feel the need to get a new bike, I wouldn't blame you if you looked into different brand. Be sure to test ride the one that they are giving you to purchase before actually purchasing it and change those gears real good, all three in the front and all in the rear. Although you probably thought of that already.

I hope I did not come off sounding like a know it all or anything, I just would like to try to help in areas that I can, well with the info really coming from my husband. I wish you luck with whatever decision you make.

JoAnn