Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

I walked out today

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've gone a few times to use a bike before class doing the hill repeats that tri coach advised (I only went to a seminar, I'm not ready to pay for coaching) and today tried hanging on for the class that started.

I was already fried and he immediately started high-cadence out-of the saddle stuff.

I walked out on them 10 minutes into the class. I hate, hate, hate it when it isn't anything like on the road.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 04-17-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I've gone a few times to use a bike before class doing the hill repeats that tri coach advised (I only went to a seminar, I'm not ready to pay for coaching) and today tried hanging on for the class that started.

I was already fried and he immediately started high-cadence out-of the saddle stuff.

I walked out on them 10 minutes into the class. I hate, hate, hate it when it isn't anything like on the road.
    Hi Alpinerabbit,

I have walked out of classes like this a couple of times, don't feel bad.

There will be an other day which is better than this one.

You take care
    Resi

Oh and I can't stand the Elephant's-bottom type Schwinn saddles. Seeing that many participants bounce around on them, I see their purpose though. OUCH.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

When I have been in spinning classes that are not working for what I need to do that day; I just alter them to fit me and my needs. I've never had an instructor get mad especially after I say I am training and what he has planned just won't work for me on that day.

So, then if you stay cause you need more time on the bike; alter the workout - like instead of high cadence standing stuff (which is pretty stupid if you ask me); do seated high cadence sitting stuff that will help you keep your spin while climbing!

spoke

This is a spin class?
    What kind of instructor doesn't lead with a warm-up?

I agree with the others - do what you need to do.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

If the instructor isn't one that I trust and enjoy, I set up my bike on the back row and do my own program to the music. Sometimes I get the hairy eyeball, but me and my rapidly improving body don't care a bit.

Sometimes I come in when there is no class of any kind being held, set up a bike and use my ipod to do my own program. The official gym rules say you can't do that, but they leave you alone if you're an experienced spinner. A bonus to that is that shy people who have questions about spinning find me approachable and I can answer questions. I do have daydreams of becoming an instructor when my life clears out a little - and running a class called, "think you can't spin?" especially to help large people/timid people get started.

Quote Originally Posted by latelatebloomer View Post
    Sometimes I come in when there is no class of any kind being held, set up a bike and use my ipod to do my own program.

Me too. Those are my best classes!

Regarding unsafe moves, I also modify them. Sometimes I'll do a different workout depending on the song. For example, if they're doing hill grinding, I'll do intervals. We're all getting an aerobic workout, but my knees are way happier!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

IDC (indoor cycling) is about doing YOUR ride and getting out of it what YOU need. Any instructor should know that (although many don't practice that, and they should). I am constantly telling my class that it's their ride--that they should OWN it. I'm only there as their tour guide--to lead them on a ride and suggest the moves, cadence, and resistance loads that I want them to be at for a safe, effective ride. But if their body is telling them that today, it just can't do x amount of work for x amount of minutes, at x RPMs, then they should LISTEN to their body and learn to relax. My #1 suggestion is to listen to your body first, and me second. NO ONE should give you the "hairy eyeball" for doing your own ride. And ESPECIALLY for not participating in any of those ridiculous, hair-brained contraindicated movements and drills.
    The Journey is the Reward.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    This is a spin class?
    What kind of instructor doesn't lead with a warm-up?
    well, immediately means after 5min warm up.

I was doing my own thing for an hour before class. Gotta love technosweat.

Nit:
    A five-minute w/up still is not sufficient (for the rest of the class).
    The Journey is the Reward.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My favorite spin instructor breaks his hour-long classes into three sections: does a 20 minute warm up (increasing in intensity), 20 minutes of really hard stuff (although not stupid stuff) and then 20 minutes of gradually decreasing intensity that leads to a real cool down of about 5 minutes followed by relaxed stretching for about 5 minutes. I like that setup; he's consistent yet varies each class with different music and rides. He's also an avid road rider--not someone who has no clue about outdoor riding. He also plays good music at reasonable decibel levels!

Unfortunately, he's recently left my club