Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Saddle Sores - Sorry maybe TMI

To disable ads, please log-in.

I bought my bike a few weeks ago, had a cheapo pair of shorts that I quickly discarded!! Bought a top of the line short which is so much kinder to my hiney.....but I get horrible saddle sores. At the advise of a cycling friend I bought some Butt Butter, this did help, but did not eliminate the problem.

Saturday I rode a little over 25 miles and was fine, however last night I rode 15 miles and now I'm covered front to back with saddle sores. Could it be my shorts are not the proper fit and they move around too much? When I got them, they fit fine, but now that I've been riding I'm starting to loose weight and inches so they are a little loser. HELP

Wow, not sure what to say, except that I have never had this problem, and yours sounds extreme. I have had exactly one saddle sore in about 5 years of riding.

I did recently buy a new pair of shorts, and different brand, and I think I started to get a hint of a sore on Saturday. I think it is due to the placing of this particular shorts seam right in conjunction with a particular ridge on the saddle.

I am thinking that if you are having such extreme issues, the Butt'R is probably not going to fix it. I never use lube (although some folks swear by it).

I'm not sure what to say, except that you should not accept this as normal. Some combination of saddle/shorts change? Can you associate the sores with where the seams on the shorts are, for instance? Or maybe where a certain ridge on the saddle is?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Everything (seams, saddle, etc) seam to be located ok. The first 5 - 7 miles, I'm comfy, after that "things" start getting pinched. That's why I thought maybe my shorts have become to loose fitting and are moving around.

I've rodeo'd my whole life so saddle sores aren't anything new to me, but typically I just got them on my sit bones, not everywhere else!

The fact that they're everywhere makes me almost think it's an allergic reaction to something. I know some folks reacted to a PI short a year or so ago.
    Loose shorts are not good - moving shorts = friction = sores. Are they anywhere pressure wouldn't be?

Good luck - that sounds miserable! I'd be inclined to see a doc, to get that many treated...

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I thought about an alergic reaction too, I didn't have this problem with my cheapy shorts, but then again they had a neoprene pad not a chamios pad. Maybe that's my problem, I don't know. I'm definately going to go by a smaller size and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Are these actually 'saddle sores", are they bruises, blisters, or are they an all-over rash?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everything (seams, saddle, etc) seam to be located ok.
    I was just wondering if the sores lined up perfectly along a seam line, etc?

I've rodeo'd my whole life so saddle sores aren't anything new to me, but typically I just got them on my sit bones, not everywhere else!
    This is also odd to me...I have never rodeo'd, but spent about 20 years riding, including very long hard days over all kinds of mountains, and never had a saddle sore.

Maybe you're a hothouse flower! (I know, I know, sores are no laughing matter!)
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Are these actually 'saddle sores", are they bruises, blisters, or are they an all-over rash?
    Maybe a combination, I can't exactly see them! Ok sorry this will probably seem TMI but here it goes, closer to my sit bones I have caluses (sp). moving towards the front in the crease where my leg meets my Labium it feels more like bruises and on the Labium I get bumps (hard knots). FWIW I keep everything shaved, but it doesn't appear to be an infected/irritated hair - I don't know, it's frustrating and embarrising all at the same time.

shaving is a no-no for many female riders. I've found waxing or plucking are okay, but shaving is a sure-fire recipe for saddle sores for me. the hair folicles get infected too easily.

another thought, make sure to keep yourself clean -- both before you ride and after you ride. anti-bacterial baby wipes work great.

Quote Originally Posted by cmac77354 View Post
    Maybe a combination, I can't exactly see them! Ok sorry this will probably seem TMI but here it goes, closer to my sit bones I have caluses (sp). moving towards the front in the crease where my leg meets my Labium it feels more like bruises and on the Labium I get bumps (hard knots). FWIW I keep everything shaved, but it doesn't appear to be an infected/irritated hair - I don't know, it's frustrating and embarrising all at the same time.

Are you rocking around on your saddle? Or are you fairly stable while pedaling.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by cmac77354 View Post

I would get to a dermatologist. Have them checked out.

Now, I NEVER shave that area between my legs. When I do, I always get irritation and ingrown hairs. I trim it short, but NEVER shave it when I'm in cycling season. I know it's not as *hot*, but I really encourage you to stop shaving that area for awhile and see if that helps.

You need to try to look at them. Get a mirror that magnifies and do your best.

I had an area what was very painful just recently. When I would ride it would raise up and one time I squeezed some stuff out of it. When I wasn't riding, it went down, but it was hard inside.

I finally went to a dermatologist, she lanced it, drained it and it is fine now.

I also had a hard bump on the other side. She said that was an ingrown hair of sorts.

It's not really an exact science of what's going on down there. But if you can't scrub down there and get them to go away... get to a Dr.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Check you saddle height. If its too high you abrade your soft tissues with every pedal stroke. Same for the saddle being too narrow, that causes your soft tissues to bear your weight instead of your sit bones.

Are you still riding on the saddle that came with the bike?

Is it possible the saddle is too narrow or is shaped wrong for you?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I think you're getting great advice so far.

I just wanted to add, that NOTHING is TMI when it involves our bikes and butts! We've all been sore, and everyone here is great about helping.

I use a homeopathic silica tissue salt for "the temporary relief of pimples, boils, ulcers," etc. and find that it really works well for me. I tend to get very big, deep, hard sores and after a few days of the silica pills feel much better. The brand I use is Schuessler, but I bought them in Australia and don't know if they are available in the US.

Good luck.