Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    That is why I thought tilting the seat back would help. When I had the seat level, my bits were right at the tip of the seat. We tilted it back slightly and now my bits are almost to the cutout but not quite. I wanted the LBS to tilt it back some more and they wouldn't do it.
    Seeker, without seeing you ride I really can't say for sure. Nobody here could. And I'm not a wrench or bike fitter. It's just an impression from reading your posts between your feeling like you should slide back, tilt the seat back, all that movement. When I ride my upper body is fairly still.

So go ahead and measure those sit bones, find a seat. If it still hurts maybe a seat post with the right set-back amount. But if you're not having fun on the bike I'd find a new and different shop for a fitting.

It's supposed to feel gooooooooood when you ride and be fun and after the ride
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-08-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Somebody mentioned that your reach might be too long, and that's what I'm kinda thinkin' too. Sounds like your pelvis is trying to move forward or collapsing forward, and tilting the saddle is supporting it and forcing it back.

A new saddle (especially one that fits) will likely make a lot of difference, but I'd also look into bike fit and core strength. Your reach might be too long for your structure or too long for your core to support.

(now you have a gazillion things to check, don't you feel reassured? )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Your reach might be too long for your structure or too long for your core to support.
    New saddle and a set of matching PI arm-short'ners? we can shorten our reach?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    New saddle and a set of matching PI arm-short'ners?
    Nuh-uh, arm-lengtheners!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Can I get leg-lengtheners? Do they sell them on TE?

Ah never mind, I'd need a new saddle, new bike fit, even a new bike and I finally got that figured out .... If i need longer arms or legs I know where I can borrow them from a tall person.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I haven't found anything soft to sit on to measure my butt imprint. I'm going to look for some foam today.
    My coach, whom I trust, watched me on the bike when I first bought it. He tilted my handlebars forward. He said I was reaching too far. I couldn't get into the drops at all and reach my brakes and I could barely reach the hoods. My bike certaily looks a bit different from most road bikes. When I had my bike into the LBS last week to see about a new seat, they freaked out when they saw the handlebars. Remember, the had fitted me with it set up properly. They kept blaming my seat issues on the moved handlebars. I told them I was much more comfortable with the tilted handlebars, I felt I had more control of the bike, my ride was smoother and my butt issues were not as severe. They didn't buy it. They believe in a tradional set-up. Well then I had a conundrum. I like and trust my coach. I've made huge gains with him and I've ridden with him. Plus I pay him for his advice. It doesn't make sense to me to listen to the LBS guys when I'm paying to listen to someone else. My coach rides, he's riding an Ironman this weekend. And he successfully coaches other men and women. When he moved my handlebars, he said, "it looks funny but your fit is much better".
    My bike is a Jamis Ventura. It is women specific.

I haven't given up. First I need to get a butt imprint. That is on my agenda for today, that is if work doesn't get in the way.

Oh, and just so you know, I don't have a freakishly large clitoris. Honest. It looks like an average clit. I just think I may not have enough tissue in front to protect it. Sheesh, I don't even talk to my Gyn this way.
    Last edited by seeker; 05-09-2008 at 03:48 AM.

My coach, whom I trust, watched me on the bike when I first bought it. He tilted my handlebars forward. He said I was reaching too far. I couldn't get into the drops at all and reach my brakes and I could barely reach the hoods.
    Yup. Reach too long.

Can we play with a picture (from the side) of your bike, and one of you (from the side) on your bike? There are so many chickies on this board who have so much knowledge (and the same general anatomy) and have done so much wrestling with their own saddles and set ups, that I'm sure there will be a few great ideas bouncing around if we get some pictures.

(besides, any excuse to see bike pics, eh? )
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-09-2008 at 04:38 AM.

It doesn't make sense to me to listen to the LBS guys when I'm paying to listen to someone else.
    I'm sure your coach is fine, and I'm sure he's a fine athlete. I don't have a coach but I have an amazing LBS. (see Seven vs. Habanero thread).

If my wrench said "we're setting you up this way, and this is why (he always explains it)" I'd do it. You pay a coach but a great shop is priceless.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

If my wrench said "we're setting you up this way, and this is why (he always explains it)" I'd do it. You pay a coach but a great shop is priceless.
    My LBS are the ones who set me up where I couldn't reach my brakes!

Ok, measurements. Inner edge sit bones - 3 inches
    Outer edge sit bones - 6.25 inches.

Do these measurements tell me anything?

No pic as yet. That requires cooperation from DH. I might be able to get one tomorrow.

Ok, measurements. Inner edge sit bones - 3 inches
    Outer edge sit bones - 6.25 inches.

Do these measurements tell me anything?

No pic as yet. That requires cooperation from DH. I might be able to get one tomorrow.
    Cool!

Ok, first I convert to metric, cuz that's just the way my brain works. 6 1/4 inches is near enough to 16.5 cm to make my brain happy.

Saddle width: take your outside measurement and add a centimeter or two to either side to give you a saddle width that will completely support your sitbones (lifting you off your soft tissue) and give you wiggle room to shift as you change position and effort.

16.5 cm plus 2 cm (1 cm each side) is 18.5 cm
    16.5 cm plus 4 cm (2 cm for each side) is 20.5 cm

That gives you a saddle width range of 185mm-205mm or 7 1/4 inches to 8 inches.

Saddle top contour and profile: T or Pear, curved or flat, narrow nose or wide nose, I don't know any shortcuts to figure out what works best. It seems to come down to trying a saddle, making note of the shape and contour, assessing comfort, trying another saddle, etc. There are pretty distinct chafing patterns for mis-fits. (like a saddle that is too pear-shaped will chafe in the "panty-line" of your buttock)

Cut-Out: I found this groovy cut-out home test, and don't remember where. So, my apologies to the universe for my plagiarism. Sit in perfect posture on the forward half of a hard wooden chair clad only in your underwear. Keeping your back straight, hinge forward from your hip joints until you can rest your elbows on your knees. If your soft tissues in this position are getting smooshed against the chair seat, you need a cut-out. If it feels like you could sit this way for a while, you might need a saddle wide enough to support your sit bones completely (like the chair is) or a saddle with less padding to bulge upward and crush into your tissues (like the plain wooden chair has no padding).

Edit to add: I went back and looked at the link you gave to the saddle you have now. 138mm (5 1/2 inches) doesn't really match up well.
    (When you find a saddle that fits buy a couple. Your bones are what matter, and they'll stay pretty constant... unlike the saddle styles! Seems like as soon as anyone finds the perfect saddle, that one goes out of production!) Oh, and hip width rarely has a hot correlation with sitbone width for women. Tiny women can have wide pelvic outlets and vice versa. Nobody can really look at a woman and determine what width saddle she needs, they gotta get all intimate and measure those critters one way or another!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-09-2008 at 07:06 PM.

My LBS are the ones who set me up where I couldn't reach my brakes!
    Well, sometimes LBS and even wrenches within LBS are like saddles, or dating or whatever analogy you want to use. Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs. But when you find a good one .... priceless.

Till then there's always TE gals to try to help.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

riding shorts... best I've found

Have you tried the Pearl Izumi shorts with the chamois? And, yes, when they start feeling a little loose time to size down. Also, never ever wear underwear with them of any kind. Have you been doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by cmac77354 View Post
    I bought my bike a few weeks ago, had a cheapo pair of shorts that I quickly discarded!! Bought a top of the line short which is so much kinder to my hiney.....but I get horrible saddle sores. At the advise of a cycling friend I bought some Butt Butter, this did help, but did not eliminate the problem.

Saturday I rode a little over 25 miles and was fine, however last night I rode 15 miles and now I'm covered front to back with saddle sores. Could it be my shorts are not the proper fit and they move around too much? When I got them, they fit fine, but now that I've been riding I'm starting to loose weight and inches so they are a little loser. HELP

I'm using Pearl Izumi with the chamois. And I don't wear underwear at all. Even when I'm not wearing bike shorts. I'm pretty much a bra-less, panty-less gal.

Ok, I'll do the cut-out test when I get back from the gym.

Thanks.

your sit-bone width (6 1/4 inches) and saddle width (7 1/4 to 8 inches) is in good company on this board. Quite a few of us have tried several saddles in these ranges. After you do the cut-out test, let us know what you think you might be looking for and we can give you some ideas of places to start.

Knot-on-a-210mm-width-no-padding-narrow-nose-T-shaped-no-cut-out-suspended-saddle.

My road and commuter are both Sella Italia. My commuter-mobile has no cut out, road does. I like both. Previously I tried, loved, wore to shreds Terry saddles, Avocet OS2 MTB* gel saddles... When you find the saddle you love get a few. My LBS says both of my current "love at first sit" saddles are no longer produced.

He has a few stored for me in a climate controlled vault in Switzerland Right Chris?

Then there's the ever illusive saddle-chamois-shorts symbiotic relationship. That saddle you love can become the saddle you love to hate with the wrong shorts. But let's start on your saddle and fit.

Trek-doesn't know how wide her sit bones are just knows the saddles she likes-420

*no reason not to use a MTB-specific saddle on a road bike if it's the one that fits you best. It's under your azz, who sees the logo?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton