Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Assault on Mount Mitchell

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just wanted to tell anyone who's interested about the "Assault on Mount Mitchell - Assault on Marion" ride that is upcoming on May 20th. To learn everything about it go to:
    http://www.freewheelers.info/assault.html
    It's in North Carolina. Total climb is 12000 feet! That's why I'm only doing the Marion ride. That's "only" 72 miles and 4500 feet. Nearly all of the climbing is squeezed into the last 25 miles.
    Check it out!

That's "only" 72 miles and 4500 feet. Nearly all of the climbing is squeezed into the last 25 miles.
    yow !

Looks like something Veronica & SadieKate & akaKim & Yellow & the other freakishly strong N. California hill climbers would enjoy.

- jo "yeah I wish" bob

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Hey Doc...How was the ride?
    You pm'd me about Asheville rides...What a beautiful part of the country! The hills were definitely bigger than here in Florida...hehe But I seemed to have handled them well. Going back in June/July for a week...hopefully we will be able to bring both "steeds" (the mtbike & the roadie) and get to attack some more of those mountians!
    Last time we tackled Bent Creek, Tsali, & Kitzuma...great riding! This time I want to do Slick Rock.
    We were dropped off by our bus at the top of Mt Mitchell and rode 5 miles down to Heartbreak Ridge (??) trailhead...what a site...30 mountain bikers going 40mph down the BRP Maybe next year we'll attack Mt Mitchell going up

Too many mountains...so little time!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Major Bummer. The day before the ride: cool and sunny. The day after the ride: cool and sunny. The day of the ride? Heavy thunderstorms which lasted for at least the first 5 hours of the ride. So, being that I have young children and don't really want to crash and die on a mountain, I wimped out. 5 hours of hell (which is what I call riding in pouring rain) coupled with a real risk of serious injury just isn't my style. Maybe I'll see you there next year!

I'm glad you enjoyed asheville. Some really great riding up there.
    Last edited by doc; 06-06-2005 at 11:16 AM. Reason: forgot something

No Worries! I don't blame you for thinking of your kids...I think I would have wim...uh...bowed out gracefully as well
    I had my very first road ride this last Saturday on my brand new road bike...in the rain Not a good welcome to the road world! Fell on my a$$ trying to go around the corner while breaking But I am not discouraged...just a really interesting perfect purple circle on my tush I did 45 miles at an average of 16mph...not a bad start (MTBing has made me strong and resiliant I guess)
    Nothing says you can't do next year!
    BTW...I saw tons of cyclist on Town Mountain Road...are you familiar? Looks like quite a feat...a challenge my fiance and I are looking into while we are there again. Are you near the area?

Mt. Mitchell

Hey, Bouncybouncy, there's an annual mountain bike ride UP Mt. Mitchell. This year it's July 31:
    http://www.wncmountaingoatepics.com/...t_mitchell.htm

And Doc, believe it or not, 5 hours in the rain is not as bad as it sounds. Once you're wet, it doesn't really matter anymore (as long as there is no lightning). You just can't draft because of the dirt and water being spewed up into your face. Three of my girlfriends did the Marion ride, and another girlfriend and I did Mitchell. I have to admit, things were a bit 'dodgy' at the start, with that many riders on wet roads, but our group was very lucky, no accidents, no flats. The good thing about the rain was that it never got hot.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I hope you'll give it a whirl next year.

Profavelo I am very impressed. You should be incredibly proud of yourself! I crossed that ugly 40 year mark this year and I really worry about injury.

I am planning to do "blood sweat and gears" on the 25th. Anyone else? I am doing the metric century, not whole century. Weather permitting LOL.

profŕvélo..."#@ #%#^%$& ^$%% $^#&(&" I am jinxed with "I was there last week" syndrome I am always in the wrong state! That looks like fun!!! We will be entertaining at home (SoFla) while that is happening, bummer! Like everything else going on in NC..."maybe next year!"

My bosses are looking to move up there soon and my fiancee and I are looking at coming after the wedding in Feburary (unless he gets a job sooner...not soon enough for me)...putting all these great rides on my wish list! Is there a site I can go to to look up more rides that may be going on while we are there (it is sparadic...I never know when)

Thanks
    ...and good luck on the Blood, sweat, & Gears

Rides

Bouncy
    There are a large number of riding clubs where you can find out about stuff. Tarheelcyclists is one. But I get most of my info from my LBS. The owner, Ilan, is a great guy and he sends out an email once/week with info about rides all over the place in north and south carolina. You can email him and ask if he'll add you onto his list:
    smoot@ultimatebike.com

Thanks Doc!!! I am still a newbie, expecially to road, and it is raining and lightning down here so much lately we have not been able to ride...I think I am going out of my mind! I will be there for a week (leaving a week from today) I hope you guys have good weather for us!!! I will try to leave this stuff down here!

Bouncy,
    PLEASE leave the lightening in Florida!!
    Here is another good website to find NC rides:
    http://www.gastoncountycyclists.com

2006 Assaults on Mitchell/Marion

I'm signed up for Mitchell, but I'll have to see how much training I get in...I'm trying to finish a dissertation. I'll at least do Marion. Mitchell is already full--you have to have ridden Marion or Mitchell the previous year in order to get an 'invitation'--but Marion is wide open. Anybody else planning to do one or the other? They're on Saturday, May 20th.

http://www.freewheelers.info/assault.html
    I ride, therefore I am.

we are in!

My dh and I are training for Marion. Most of the guys we ride with are either doing Mitchell or Marion. Those of us doing Marion are toying with the idea of being "Team Fig Newton". (owing to our current figures in our "serious cycling clothes". )

-beth

i am getting butterflies just thinking about it!!!! i have had this ride in mind for a year now and here it is already time to register!!!!

my (NOW I CAN SAY...) DH and i are discussing this...we have been on a non-riding hiatus for tooo long now and our flabby florida legs are barely getting us through Wim...uh...i mean Bent Creek We finally have upgraded our wardrobe to winter cycling status but still no decent hill climbing cranks Trying desparately to get back into the groove of cycling but we keep ending up at Home Depot or Lowes in search of a tool or two to update our new house....but anyway...I digress.............

Question: how do you get back to your car in Spartenburg???

I have signed up for marion. Mitchell sold out in under 2 hours and I missed it. The weather has GOT to be better this year!
    When you sign up you are given the option to pay for a bus ticket down the mountain from marion park.