Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To bus or not to bus?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Those of us who are cheapskates, and who have the time, arrange to leave a car at the finish campground in Marion. Be sure to check the hours of the campground; when my girfriends went to leave a car last year, it had closed for the evening.

My DH had a bad experience with the bus his first year, back before I was really riding. He got a bus back to Spartanburg, but then had to wait for several hours for his bike (they transport those separately).
    I ride, therefore I am.

What's that ride like?

At least the Assault on Marion part? I am thinking about it for next year, but since I am not a strong climber...Is it pure torture, or is it sort of do-able if you are very stubborn? Consider I live in FL where hill training is difficult to come by.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Marion

is totally doable if you are very stubborn. It has one bad hill in it, called Bill's Hill, and you'll hear everyone dreading it. It's pretty steep, but it's very short; it's over before you know it. And I seem to remember an ugly little hill as you get into the town of Marion, at the end of your 70 miles. Other than that, it's Upstate South Carolina sort of rolling.
    I ride, therefore I am.

BUMP!

hey you girls...doc, prof, nanci, carrieanne...(did i miss anyone?) any of you doing the assault??? marion or mitchell??? i was all set to sign up for the marion (you have to ride the prior year on either in order to do the mitchell...limited space and park service rules) but i wiped out in a creek 2 days ago and busted soft tissue in my hand so riding is out for a couple of weeks i am afraid (it was actually a silly little fall that involved a very wet & bark-less log and a rider with a bit too much ego and not enough sense to get off and walk....needless to say i was sitting waist deep in a fridged stream cusing myself out for hurting myself at the begining of the season!!! seems to be just quite a bruise but movement is all there...just not feasable to put pressure on it for 73 miles...ah well...i can still put on the running shoes for now i am just thankfull it was not any worse!!!)

anyway...if anyone is going let me know!!!! i am going to be stopping at various rest stops along the marion route to cheer on hubby and his buddy (who is riding all the way to the top) so if i see any of you and can ring the cowbell to you too!!!!

happy riding!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

I wish I were...

New job is taking *all* my time. Not much time for riding, which means no training - which would not be pretty on that ride!

May be headed up your way over Memorial Day weekend, though, for some *very* casual riding

Good luck and happy weather thoughts to all who are going!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I'll be there!
    Black and silver giant TCR
    Red short sleeve jersey (if it's warm)
    dark blue shorts.
    That's Me!

Get bettter soon!!!

well doc? how was it?

hubby opted out...he is not neccesarily a fair-weather rider but the low temp (he is a florida boy remember!) 73 miles in cold rain was just in his cards that day!

...and besides, i am not one to test lightnings fate!!!

our buddy did beat his personal best by 5 minutes (his 5th time doing the mitchell ride)

ah well...i feel sunshine for next years ride...ooooooooommmmm!!!!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

I know this was for Doc, but I'll chime in and announce that dh completed Marion. I opted out - just wasn't ready - and SAG'ed for dh and friends. There was rain and lightning at the start again this year, so the guys delayed their start 30 minutes. By then the storms had passed and they just had to deal with a few rain drops and wet roads ( the worst part of rain, in my opinion).

DH says he will SAG for me next year.

It was FABULOUS. I posted in the open topic section, but I am happy to repeat myself. Rain stopped after 20 minutes and the rest was 4 hours of pedalling bliss.
    I doubt I'll ever be able to do mitchell. I rode with 4 guys and we made a great team. All for one and one for all. Pacelines, mechanical difficulties, you name it. I was the weak link, but... We averaged 16.5mph for the entire ride to marion.

I am signed up for BLood Sweat and Gears and can't wait!