Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rain Jackets

Rain Jackets

To disable ads, please log-in.

What do I look for in a rain jacket? I need one in case it rains, and it will probably rain in Ireland a lot! I like this one - Rock Point Rain Jacket - but it is expensive. I realize of everything this is probably worth spending money on.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7579

Water proof? Water resistant? What do you suggest?

If you think you will actually be riding in the rain, I would encourage waterproof. I had water resistant and the first serious downpour this winter it did not keep me dry on my 1.6 mile ride to work.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

ah yes, I remember learning the difference between water proof and water resistant. ouch. seriously wet.

gore-tex. go gore-tex

I think this is the latest version of the one me and my DH have:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1110336752707

mostly in the rain you'll find me walking to work, not riding, but I've never gotten wet with this on, and the hi-viz is fantastic for the industrial areas I walk through.

good luck!
    Namaste,
    ~T~

Not only is GoreTex fabulous in the rain, but if you get a deluge day after day and the humidity is so high you can't drip dry clothes you can pop the jacket in the dryer and make it all dry and permeable again. We use GoreTex for Alaska fishing which can mean hiking around in rain forests inside your waders and rain gear so you get all sweaty on the inside plus the nonstop rain on the outside. Darn good stuff. I even own waders out the stuff. Believe it or not the fabric wicks even under water.

When we did our Diablo ride Jobob had on a really good looking GoreTex jacket. I think she really liked it. It may have been one of the ones on TE. It had the zip off arms which I definitely prefer so you don't have to carry a separate vest.

Don't buy something you don't like (or doesnt' fit quite right) just because it's Goretex though. Yes, it is pretty much the best fabric, but there are other things that are good and generally less expensive. Also, if you're likely to be wearing a pack or Camelbak with your jacket, check that there won't be any seams in uncomfortable places or bunching under the straps; most outdoorsy kind of jackets have been designed with this in mind, but I'm not sure about cycling specific ones.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 03-08-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Bought this one.

REI Rainshadow Jacket - Women's
    Lightweight, highly water-resistant and breathable--this full-featured jacket keeps you dry and comfortable during wet-weather rides.
    Two-layer coated ripstop nylon is lightweight and breathable, with sealed seams to ensure protection
    Pit zippers allow ventilation control
    Mesh-lined back wicks away moisture to keep you comfortable
    Hem is cut longer in back for coverage in the riding stance
    Zippered back pocket holds essentials
    Reflective piping around sleeves increases your visibility to motorists
    Fleece-lined collar is soft and warm next to skin
    Seal in warmth: features elastic cuffs with hook-and-loop tabs and shockcord with toggle hem
    Two-way front zipper is protected by a stormflap with hook-and-loop closure

Exclamation

Amazon, that jacket is very pretty and looks functional, but I wouldn't wear it (and I love REI).

Why? Visibility. In the rain, it's usually darker and gloomier out, and you'll be hard to see in that color. When I am driving my car, I am amazed at the number of cyclists wearing dark colors, and they are very hard to see - I am sure they have no clue of this. I see that this jacket has a bit of reflective piping, but not every driver in the rain has on his/her headlights. I go for bright screaming yellow in a rain jacket. Did it come in any other colors?

Emily

P.S. Sorry to be negative - just want you to be safe!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

It comes in yellow!

But I like blue and I'll be allright. Thanks for the concern.

Looks very nice but I have to agree that a brighter color would be more visible in the rain. At least it isn't one of those sandwich-bag-plastic things that are so horrible. I am totally a wimp when it comes to riding in the rain so I avoid it whenever possible...however, it would be dumb for me to at least not have a rain jacket. So I bought one of those inexpensive, clear plastic things. Ohmy. First time it really rained and I wore it I felt like I had encased myself in a Glad sandwich bag. I really wasn't sure if all of the moisture I had all over was rain that had leaked in or if it was just sweat from sweating to death in a plastic bag So now I use a water-resistant jacket that is bright yellow. I'm okay with being wet a whole lot more than I am sweating to death in a plastic bag!

Amazon, do you have rain pants? Getting your pants wet seriously _sucks_. I have the REI Rainshadow pants that are the mate to that jacket and they work great.

Though for a jacket, I have a high visibility Goretex jacket I got for about $45 at a surplus store.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    When we did our Diablo ride Jobob had on a really good looking GoreTex jacket. I think she really liked it. It may have been one of the ones on TE. It had the zip off arms which I definitely prefer so you don't have to carry a separate vest.
    Yep, I really like that jacket, for all the reasons you mentioned.

One correction, though, It's made out of Gore Windstopper fabric, not GoreTex. It's water resistant, but supposedly not waterproof. That said, I was caught in a downpour on New Year's day and I don't recall being particularly drenched on top; I stayed warm and that was the important thing. I figure if you're in a bad enough rain you're going to get wet no matter what, so I'm more inclined to worry about staying warm and hopefully drying off quickly when the rain subsides.

TE carries the Windstopper jacket with the zip-off sleeves; unfortunately they only carry it in blue.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7569

I wholeheartedly agree with Emily, in the rain & gloom I want to be as visible as humanly possible, so I didn't want the blue one.

Terry carries this same jacket in bright yellow, so that's where I bought it.
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail....d&item_no=1091

TE does carry the same jacket without the zip-off sleeves in the bright yellow.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=11990

Personally, I really like the versatility of the zip-off sleeves.

hth, - Jo.
    Last edited by jobob; 03-21-2005 at 06:20 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by cruziegirl
    First time it really rained and I wore it I felt like I had encased myself in a Glad sandwich bag. I really wasn't sure if all of the moisture I had all over was rain that had leaked in or if it was just sweat from sweating to death in a plastic bag
    LOL! Been there, done that - and yep, it was the latter and how gross is that, I ask ?!
    That's why I'm not too concerned about wearing a totally waterproof jacket anymore, I'd much rather get wet from the rain than from my own personal sauna , at least if I'm wearing something breathable I'll dry off fairly quickly. Staying warm is the key.

That said, I've never tried GoreTex, and if I were riding I the rain a lot I'd probably check it out.
    Last edited by jobob; 03-21-2005 at 06:17 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I did really like that blue one with the zip off sleeves, but it's like $80 more than I paid for the one I got. With all the stuff I gotta buy, I better buy stuff that I likethat isn't too expensive. I'd feel guilty if I bought that $150 jacket I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonX42
    I'd feel guilty if I bought that $150 jacket I liked.
    Were you raised Catholic too?

You know, you ought to try getting what you want now and again...it feels pretty darned good!

Namaste,
    ~T~