Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

cycling nutrition and breastfeeding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I need some help with nutrition. I am breastfeeding my 10 month old son and would like to get started on my training/diet for my first century this August. I can't find a good guide to nutrition that does not include a "diet". I am not wanting to loose any weight and still really need that 500+ calories for him. Does anyone know of any good sites or books that I can check out? I'd like to find a good guide to how much protien/carbs/fats/fiber I need to stay healthy.

I would always recommend any of the Nancy Clark or Jane Brody nutrition books. Very balanced and healthy. I have not seen anything specific to breastfeeding, but I would imagine a healthy, carb focused approach such as these two advocate would be good. Maybe take a look at the recommendations for pregnant athletes.

My cycling partner is in your situation - it has been tough for her to get back to riding and doing the long rides she's used to (we trained for double centuries together). Her son's still a little younger than yours. I think she may try a century next month, but it's one where you could easily do 70 miles instead, so there is a bail out at least.

Good luck. I know it's probably a sacrifice not being able to put the time in the saddle you may like, but it's a once in a lifetime thing so have fun with your baby. (Once in a lifetime for that particular baby if you have more than one. Once in a lifetime, period, for me! . )
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Check out some La Leche League books at the library.

Or do it the easy way -- maintain your current healthful diet and just add 4 or 5 chocolate milkshakes a day! I still remember those (homemade) chocolate shakes from when I nursed my son until he was 2 -- quit that 19 years ago and doubt if I've had a chocolate shake since!

Definitely La Leche League will have the info you need. Their web page is huge http://www.llli.org/nb.html and there may also be a group near you that you could contact.