Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Need new bike?

Question Need new bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been told by others that I've been riding with "Man, you're working really hard to keep up...you need a better (road) bike." Truth is, I am working really hard to keep up. I have a Cannondale Hybrid (aluminum frame). Pack-free it weighs in at 30 lbs, with the seat pack and front pack it's 40+ depending on what's in the front pack. I've already gone to skinny slick tires (armadillos) which gave me another 2 mph or so. My avg speed is 13 - 15 mph. I averaged 17mph (fully loaded) in a recent (self imposed) 3 mile time trial. I have tested the Fuji Team and Specialized Allez Elite road bikes, and felt like I wasn't working as hard, but I like the comfort of the upright position on my hybrid. I'm sure I can lighten up my packs with a few changes to tools and by going to an MP3 player instead of a CD player, and yes, it wouldn't kill me to loose 5 lbs, but is there anything else I can do to lighten it up and get better efficiency? Lighter seat, wheels, tires, handlebars, cranks, gearing...or do I just need a better (road) bike?
    MichL

Yours is a difficult question. The hybrid's just will not perform as well as a road bike for many reasons, gearing, weight, aerodynamics to name a few. It seems like you have made the most appropriate changes / adjustments to speed your bike up, but you know it comes down to what you want out of a ride. If you like the comfort of the hybrid with it's upright position then stay with it realizing that you won't be as fast as some and tell the people dogging you about your bike that you may be slower, but you having just as much (if not more). If you decide you want to purchase a new road bike you could consider changing out the bars for more of a hybrid feel, but that defeats the purpose somewhat of purchashing a new fast, road bike. If you are considering a new bike make sure you "test ride" it first, it may be that you really will prefer your hybrid ride better, even if it is slower. P.S. You mention that you carry a cd player... you're not riding with earphones on are you... just concerned....

BurleyGirl

Thanks for the advice. I'm told that the Specialized Sequoia might do the trick. It has racing handlebars that adjust to a more upright position and it's suppose to be faster than a hybrid. Waiting for the 2003 models to arrive at my local shop so I can take a test ride. I have small Sony speakers in my front pack so I have the music to keep me company, but can still hear everything around me. We have a great paved trail system here, so that's where I usually ride....thanks for the concern.
    MichL

Hi Michele,

I'm probably riding the same bike you are, a Cannondale hybrid. I like the upright bars, but get tired of limited hand positions after about 20 miles or so. I'm saving up for a Terry Classic, which is a road bike with upright bars. They also make a more expensive model, the Madeline, but that's way out of my price range. My hybrid is great for the local canal towpath, but slow on the road. When I want to ride with others, I'm always the slowest one. So I'll keep the hybrid, but hopefully soon will have a road bike as well.
    Good luck-let us know what you decide to do.

marys
    Bike will get you through times of no money
    better than money will get you through times of no bike.

(Don't know who said it first, but it's definitely true!)

Exclamation

Just a note: The armadillos are heavier tires. You can do way better. The armadillos are around 450 grams each, or even more for the wider sizes! That's a whole pound per tire! (They are called "armadillo" because they are armored.) You should be able to get tires that weigh less than 200 grams each, and this will make a HUGE difference. Be sure to get lightweight tubes (less than 75 grams each) too. The basic tubes typically weigh in at 100-120 grams, while the "Turbo" models are around 65 grams each. Believe me, you can feel every gram of difference in tube+tire weight.

Marys...at last...someone with the same bike...and the same challenges. I added bar ends to my handlebars for a slightly different hand position. I've done up to 65/70 miles without much trouble as long as I change positions frequently. I've thought about the Terry bikes, but I can comfortably fit larger frames (my Cannondale is 57cms). I'll let you know what happens with the Specialized bike. It should be in later this month.

DoubleLori...I knew the armadillos were heavy, I didn't realize how much they really weigh. It sounds like I can cut some significant weight by going to different tires and tubes. I've had trouble with flats in the past so that's why the bike shop recommended those...no trouble ever since. I've noticed that the back of the bike is much heavier than the front...I'm thinking a different wheel might cut some weight too. We'll see how the other bike works out. I might just go back to the fat hybrid tires and use it for packed gravel and trails.

Thanks for your input. MichL
    MichL

Go for the new road bike. The amount of money you will put into changing your current bike around you could find a road bike for a few bucks more, and you will enjoy the ride much better. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with the Specialized Sequoia. Have it set up on my trainer and it feels great! Can't wait to get it out on the road.
    MichL