Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Showers Pass Protech jacket

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been a Showers Pass fan ever since 2001 when I rode a TNT season with the owner, Dave Morrow (and learned a LOT about bike handling! ). One of my teammates just got this jacket and I am absolutely COVETING it. It is whisper thin, but waterproof!!

Anyone have it? What do you think?

TE doesn't carry it... yet....

http://showerspass.com/cart/product_...217342a7447200
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Sugoi makes a jacket just like that. I got one for my husband last year:

http://sugoi.com/item/86975/SUG71100F

It doesn't show from the image, but it's also translucent. It totally works, and it's really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I've been a Showers Pass fan ever since 2001 when I rode a TNT season with the owner, Dave Morrow (and learned a LOT about bike handling! ). One of my teammates just got this jacket and I am absolutely COVETING it. It is whisper thin, but waterproof!!

Anyone have it? What do you think?

TE doesn't carry it... yet....

Hey MP
    I have a see through one from Showers Pass (it cost about the same) and looks very similar to the one above.
    Its a great little jacket and it stuffs so easily into my jersey pocket. I had it with me when we did the 200km ride not that you would have seen as you were way way way ahead of me.
    If you decide to buy it let me know what you think.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Hey MP me again
    I checked my jacket and it is a Protech jacket just from a year or so ago

I love it and the way it packs down so small.
    Last edited by Trekhawk; 04-07-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Nice looking clothing, I'd like to have those SP Rainpants as well.

That Sugoi jacket reminds me of a Members Only jacket
    Just don't wear it with the sleeves pushed up
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looked like a nice alternative to my cheap, waterproof, yet not breathable, thus still wet at the end of the day jacket. The lightweight, whisper thin & packable descriptors pushed me over the edge to buy one.

Came in yesterday's mail. If the long term forcast for next week's NJ to DC ride holds true, I'll get a chance to really test it. So far, it meets all the descriptors and I'm a little worried about durability.

I am wondering if anyone has found a jacket that is wonderful which will fit someone who measures 44 inches at the bust. I need such a jacket, but so far haven't found one which, like poor goldilocks, isn't either a wee bit small or huge.

Quote Originally Posted by kpokla View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has found a jacket that is wonderful which will fit someone who measures 44 inches at the bust.
    The Showers Pass jacket in an XL should be about the right size. I'm a bit smaller than that, and the Large fits me fine. Pricey, but I love it. (I've got the non-2.0 version, but TE only has that one in small.) Ask the folks at TE to measure it for you.

MP -- I have it. Love it. Check with Cyclepath. They have them in stock in Pleasanton, Hayward, and San Mateo.

thanks, i will call TE and ask them to measure the xl. at this point i'm willing to pay some bucks for quality and fit! I've been wearing my ski jacket and it certainly does not breathe...

well, i bit the bullit and called te, she measured it and i ordered it. should come in a few days. I ordered the L but can return it if is too small and get the xl. thanks. kay

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    ... One of my teammates just got this jacket and I am absolutely COVETING it. It is whisper thin, but waterproof!!

Anyone have it? What do you think? ...

Just based on the descriptions here, I decided to bite the bullet and order one. Mine came in the mail a few days before I left to ride the Police Unity Tour from NJ to DC.

My first impression confirmed the whisper thin description, but our weather was too dry to test the waterproofness. I packed it and my cheap Performance jacket.

The weather forecast for the ride was one simple word: WET
    When I arrived in NJ, I had some short errands to run. I didn't want to have to start the actual ride with wet gear, so I used the Performance jacket. I ended up taking it off, preferring to just get wet from the rain, instead of feeling smothered by the non-breathable fabric.

For the first official day of the ride, it was raining, windy and cool. I wore the Showers Pass jacket and stayed dry and comfortable between waist and neck. It is nicely waterproof and breathable so I didn't have that feeling of riding in a steam room.

The next two days of the ride also had a chance of rain, so I took the jacket, but did not use it, except as a windbreaker during the cooler early morning hours. As others have described, it is small enough to easily stuff into a jersey pocket.

The last day of the ride would have been the ultimate test of the jacket, but the Maryland State troopers cancelled the ride. Gale force winds, heavy rains & flooding along the route.

Bottom line: Best gear purchase this year.

Thanks for the responses (and the gear test Jenerator). Definitely getting one. But it's NO rush.... it's about 100 degrees and sunny here right now.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes