Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Weight loss help

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I need to lose 10 lbs. I really think that will help with my running - make me a little faster, but my problem is I am always hungry, I exercise a lot and some days 2 times a day, I also lift weights 3-4 times a week. I find it hard not to eat when I am hungry, I try to pick healty items, granola bars, fruit, nothing with a lot of fat.

I lost about 40 lbs last year and have been stuck for a VERY long time now at the same weight, when I do lose 5 lbs. I feel like I am starving ALL the time so I eat and gain it back. I do eat some sugar but I really limit that, and I drink water but not a lot, I drank a lot when I was losing weight and I never noticed it helped me any.

Any suggestions? I hate feeling hungry but I need to lose.

Maybe you're already at the weight your body is comfortable with?

Have you considered consulting a sports nutritionist? I don't know what is available in your area, but I know that the services exist. For example, one of the nutritionists in the Boston area who offers counseling is Nancy Clark. She also is one of the presenters at a nutrition and exercise workshop offered at different locations across the country.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

I believe my body thinks I am at it's desirable weight but I know I have a good 10 lbs I can lose, I still have jigglies in my belly, hips and thighs. I have been at 145 before and know it wasn't skinny for me, I am at 152-155 now, I carry a good bit of muscle for a female my legs are rather muscular and I have worked at making my upperbody stronger to help my swimming, so I know anything under 145 would be ridiculous.

I would love to consult a sports nutritionist but the funds won't allow it, I need a massage and chiropractor adjustment too but....

Smile protein

most women grossly underestimate how much protein they need. are you eating any fish, egg whites, milk, legumes, protein shakes?? gotta have protein to make nice muscles and firm skin and to repair damage.

Hi from Benicia- I have lost about 30lbs in the last year from cycling (former runner). I am also a vegetarian.
    When I get up- 1 Tbs Honey,1 Tbs apple cider vinegar + my powdered supplements- msm, glucosamine, calcium. Out for ride (1 hour) and/or work out at gym (40-min to hour 3 times a weekdepending on the weather). I ride about 5-6 days a week doing about 100-150mi /week. When I work out and ride I take with me one water bottle of 1/2 guava-mango drink (Trader Joes) and 1/2 water. This gives me enough energy to do my ride as well as work out on the days I go to the gym. I found that plain water wasn't enough!

Breakfast- English Breakfast tea (about 1qt) with milk, one boiled egg, one piece of whole wheat toast with some butter. This will last me about 5-6hrs.
    (note only sugar was in the juice and honey consumed and used up while riding/working out). Note- hydration doesn't have to be all water!

Snack- decaf coffee (about 12oz with low fat milk) and scone or some kind of carbohydrate- just enough to satisfy my energy needs. - note- not much sugar here.

Lunch- Cottage cheese (low fat)-about 1/2cup, celery, 1/2 large apple, 2 cookies, herb tea.

Dinner- Pasta, often with cheese sauce I make, large salad with olive oil,vinegar, gargonzola chees, avocado (about 1/8th of an avocado) lettuce, tomatoes. Vegetable- steamed.

That's it! Nothing after dinner. Glass of warm water before I go to bed.

When I do long rides with my bike club, I take one-two bottles of my juice/water drink and have a snack at Starbucks (low fat coffee cake) and a misto (Cafe au lait) with 1/2 decaf.

After I get home from these rides, I often have chips, cheese, lots of water and recovery drink I make with milk.

That's it.

Drinking a lot before I ride with the club (I do the breakfast regime described above) seems to help with hydration. Also if you read about endurance, people are talking about using milk as a way to get protein- it is satisfying as well as has some basic stuff in it. If you can't tolerate milk, try soy milk. Also if I am in a hurry I will skip my egg and instead have Whey protein powder mixed with milk with my toast and tea. That works as well.

Hope this helps!

P.S.Don't eat much when you get back from a long ride. Just a recovery drink will make all the difference in the world. and a few snacks. Drink, Drink

P.S.S.- When you ride spin the whole time! I don't know your style (of course) but spinning is a great way to use up calories plus it makes cycling much easier especially going up hills. If you don't have a granny gear (shimano XT) I strongly recommend you get one. Then you will just spin your way to the top of those nasty hills!!

Nancy

TriGurl - something must be working for Nancy. I can attest to her endurance and strength having ridden with her yesterday, and she had done a century the day before. Geesh! Nancy, I hope your ears were burning because we talked about you as we drove home. Mighty impressive for someone of your, how do I say this, "maturity." So, do share your secrets! I am so glad you came. We had a very nice group.

Sarah

sadiekate, losing weight is a really hard thing to do because you want results fast but you get to the point where you plateau at times. i would recommend that you eat more. and by that, i mean that you eat more consistently. this will help you to not be hungry and allow your body to burn more calories. when you do not eat consistently, your body will takes the food it has (because it does not know when it will be fed again), then stores it as fat. eating consistent snacks of yogurt, granola (all the healthy stuff) will allow your body to have something to burn, keep you energized and help you lose some more weight. just make sure to watch your portions and still eat your breakfast, lunch and dinners. and drink a lot of water -- sometimes your body gets tricked into thinking its hungry, but sometimes you are just dehydrated. best of luck in your weight loss endeavor! i hopet his helps!

Thanks, Jdimson. It was Trigurl asking the question. I was just confirming that something must be working for Nancy having met her and seen her ride.

haha oops...sorry about that sadiekate...trigurl, hopefully that will help you

I need to lose some weight too! I can't afford an ultra light-weight bike, so I figured I should lose the weight off my body!

I have a subscription to SELF magazine and at their website, self.com, there is a "diet club," free for subscription holders, cheap for everyone else...I hate that stupid "diet" word, anyway...you can track your caloric intake, along with how many carbs, fats and protein you are eating...they are also offering their SELF Challenge right now, which is free and has a food diary option...

I mention this because I started tracking what I was eating and I was really surprised! Although I eat a very healthy, nutrient-dense diet...I was eating about 300-400 calories more than I needed each day (based on my height, weight, activity level)!! I made some little changes like, substituting my usual granola with yogurt breakfast to a crunchy low-calorie cereal and yogurt breakfast, and filling up on salad greens and veggies instead of tons of pasta...and I've been very conscious of portion sizes...
    I've also been watching my carb, protein, fat ratio, which is about 40, 30, 30 for now...and as the weather warms up and I ride more, I'll be eating more carbs (60 %) and less fat and protein (about 20% each)...

I understand the hunger thing, I get really hungry, too...and I've been trying to eat small snacks as often as possible so I don't pig out at meal time!

I, too, have been looking for some serious inspriation lately. As the spring thaw is a few weeks away, I'm looking at trying to drop 10 pounds before I hit the trails. I hope that another 10 will come off during the racing season.

What's frustrating is that I found it is really hard to judge. During my first full mtn bike racing season last summer, I only lost about 3-5 pounds but I dropped 2 sizes in clothing. I started to discover muscle! But over the winter, the jiggles have returned in full force. I have the most trouble with my middle.

All of the ideas posted have been helpful. Here are my goals. Any other input on how to accomplish this is welcome...

1) Ride in the morning - jump start the metabolism, right?
    (I have not yet been able to do this)

2) Do not eat at night after dinner

3) Not snacking at my desk job

4) Cut down on the diet coke with lime -But really, it's like having a cocktail at work.

And... I just got a new heart rate monitor that calculates calories burned. Do you think it's obsessive to even think about wearing my hrm all day to see what my actual calorie burn is?
    RitaG

Heart rate monitor!! Thanks, RitaG!! That's important to mention...it's so important to workout in your training zone (60% to 75% of max) to burn the most fat...

If you don't have a HRM, you can buy a super simple one for about 30 dollars at pricepoint.com or bikenashbar.com or any of those big discount bike sites...

And RitaG...I love DC with lime...it's in the vending machine here at my work...it's so good!! I do have to watch it, all those atifical sweetners are a bit toxic...

thanks ya'll. I exercise quite a bit and lift weights.

here is a sample of my menu:

B: banana, bagel/english muffin/or toast with PB&J
    diet Mtn. Dew - sometimes I fix a shake with whey protein & fruit

s: pretzels/granola bar/crackers (not all at one time)

l: usually PB&J sandwich with soup & can of low carb fruit (no sugar)

s: granola bar/fruit/ pretzels/yogurt/or cottage cheese

d: Usually by now I am starving and I eat after I exercise in the evenings
    Meat, veggies,

s: popcorn/ pretzels/ low fat low sugar sweet treat/or crackers

I eat the p/b cuz I love it but it is also a quick meal for me, I use sugar free preserves, raspberry of course, and whole wheat breads and crackers.

It took me a year to lose 40 lbs. and it has been almost another year stuck at this same weight, I can't eat less b/c I feel hungry a lot now

Obviously, I'm not a dietician, but it seems like you need to eat more protein. There is some truth to the "low carb" fad, in that protein does satisfy hunger. You just need to make sure that it's low fat protein. Things like chips and pretzels are basically empty calories, so I would try replacing those with dense whole wheat bread, half a whole wheat bagel, oatmeal, or other non-sugary carb that is low on the glycemic index. You exercise a lot...maybe you should eat a little more and try changing some of the things you eat. A good sports nutritionist would really help. I know it costs, but it could really help.

Robyn