Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

In contrast, at the last gym where I actually enjoyed spinning classes, there were 2 very popular instructors (compared to several very unpopular ones).

The first one was a road cyclist and racer. He taught "base training" and endurance workouts in the fall, as much as he could given time constraints. He educated people on building a good fitness base. By the end of the fall, we'd maybe get a few long intervals at 85%--like TT intervals. He would break each set into a range for the less experienced/fit and the more fit. He taught correct form for standing on a spin bike and never ever did jumps or anything you wouldn't do outside. I'd leave his class feeling energized and educated. He really helped me by giving me some advice about getting into road cycling.

The other instructor taught the Johnny G method, even down to those pushup things to kill your triceps. The good thing about his class was that you learned how to push at AT. Lots of interval training helped recovery time. Some of the moves helped develop explosive power. He was also very good about telling newbies to skip a certain interval or how to modify it. Ultimately, though, unless you were trying to be a sprinter, these workouts were very tough on the body. They stressed my joints and every single muscle. Any minor discomfort with bike fit and pedal float and hot spots from the SPDs were magnified over time. It was a little too much at or above AT and really nothing for endurance. That wasn't too bad for most people but on Saturdays he'd teach 2 back to back. I'd usually take both and he'd definitely chill out in the second class. Was it that good for my body? Probably not. I'd leave feeling sore and achy most of the time, more like I'd been lifting weights heavily or done a boot camp class than cycled.

So sure, people like torture, and those who recognize that need to at least make some modifications based on who is in the class for their safety. Newcomers and those with poor form need to be watched closely. That is probably the only reason I trusted instructor #2, because he would really keep an eye on people. At the same time, he'd pick on those who were more fit. Good to be pushed out of one's comfort zone, but sometimes, it seemed like a lot. I think a lot of people don't know the difference between "tough" and careless. I don't think enough instructors are aware about the potential for injury.

My experience with instructor #1 at least made it clear that you can make a popular class based upon good cycling techniques. One day, that guy showed up in full kit because he'd ridden to the gym straight from a ride, and people seemed MORE intimidated by him than by the instructor (#2) who was known to kick your *** in every type of class he taught (he did a lot of stuff). It was like they felt like they weren't hardcore enough to take a class from a cyclist, because they just wanted a good cardio workout, and they were kind of scared. So I guess enough people saw it as a challenge to make it popular even if the workout was basically tempo that day. Those of us who had an interest in road cycling loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    The other instructor taught the Johnny G method, even down to those pushup things to kill your triceps.
    To be clear, this is NOT a Johnny G "method." This is a contraindicated movement in the spinning program that NO certified instructor (who is current in his/her certification) should be practicing.
    The Journey is the Reward.

Really? I thought I'd seen some old Spinning videos where they do that as part of the warmup. So..I guess they changed the program? Good! (btw, the story about that instructor was from my old gym, around 2006)

No matter what a gym's "policy" is, there's no guarantee that the instructors have any real certification. I used to be a trainer and yoga instructor at a popular national chain and MOST of the trainers and some of the group instructors did not have certifications. I was seen as a prize to them b/c I came in with an ACE personal training certification and an RYT-500, so I was easy to hire and presented well to management. MOST new hires had no certification and they put them out there teaching and training and had them get proprietary 1-day certifications (with NO contraindication training) so that they could say all the trainers and instructors were certified. Before you take a class, check out the instructor's credentials every time, especially if they're new.

Also, for group classes, the managers all had teaching experience but usually in one area, not all of them, so it made it hard for them to properly evaluate their instructors. My manager used to have me review potential employees' yoga training to tell if I thought it was adequate, but before she took over, the managers were kind of guessing and doing really brief (15 minutes or less) sample classes to see if the instructors "seemed" to know what they were doing. I would imagine this is an issue with niche classes at all clubs.
    Last edited by Flur; 06-24-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Hi.

New to the boards here. Interesting and great reading so far regarding spinning.

What's your opinion on doing crunches on the bike(standing run and bending forward with hands in position one)?

Personally, I cant stand doing push-ups or crunches and even though it's only once a week from one of the instructors i take im going to stop doing them.

Also, spinning at a high resistance/low cadence with your hands on your hips or behind your back?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    No matter what a gym's "policy" is, there's no guarantee that the instructors have any real certification. I used to be a trainer and yoga instructor at a popular national chain and MOST of the trainers and some of the group instructors did not have certifications. I was seen as a prize to them b/c I came in with an ACE personal training certification and an RYT-500, so I was easy to hire and presented well to management. MOST new hires had no certification and they put them out there teaching and training and had them get proprietary 1-day certifications (with NO contraindication training) so that they could say all the trainers and instructors were certified. Before you take a class, check out the instructor's credentials every time, especially if they're new.

Also, for group classes, the managers all had teaching experience but usually in one area, not all of them, so it made it hard for them to properly evaluate their instructors. My manager used to have me review potential employees' yoga training to tell if I thought it was adequate, but before she took over, the managers were kind of guessing and doing really brief (15 minutes or less) sample classes to see if the instructors "seemed" to know what they were doing. I would imagine this is an issue with niche classes at all clubs.

I totally agree with you, the quality is just bad bad bad. My gym has pilates, yoga and spinn instructors, well just to say, I don't know how they get the cert...only a weekend workshop and you are a spinn, pilates or yoga instructor...ha I think, I have to stop complaining right now or this message will not end...

Well I guess you get what you pay, I call it fast food in excercise...to bad most people don't know what to look for and they take what theyr gym provides.

I am soooooooo glad that there are more people out there which think like me

Resi

Quote Originally Posted by gleeclub View Post
    Hi.

New to the boards here. Interesting and great reading so far regarding spinning.

What's your opinion on doing crunches on the bike(standing run and bending forward with hands in position one)?

Personally, I cant stand doing push-ups or crunches and even though it's only once a week from one of the instructors i take im going to stop doing them.

Also, spinning at a high resistance/low cadence with your hands on your hips or behind your back?

Thanks.
    Both moves are wrong & potentially dangerous.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

zen spin

Jeez...third post this morning...what is up with me...I am usually the silent type.

I have done some good, bad, and ugly spin classes myself...and am a spin instructor. I gather the question is not how to teach a spin class, but how to *take* one. As a student, what I find helpful is a class where you don't feel overcoached, and one where you are not left adrift or unmotivated.
    Find a class that has good music, quality bikes, and instructors that won't hurt you, then be motivated to get your heart rate up, then recover, then push it up again (be it by increasing resistance or increasing the cadence, or both)...hopefully the instructor will set the enviornment for this, but not demand that you do jumps, be in or out of the saddle, or whatever.

Spinning can be wildly detrimental to your body if you cycle badly, are out of the saddle for longer than you can physically sustain, or you use bad technique with a lot of resistance on the wheel. Let your heart rate tell you that you are working hard enough (or loafing).

One thing I *NEVER* do regardless of teaching or being a student...do NOT do jumps with too little resistance on the wheel or do fast jumps. In fact, the gym where I taught would not let us do them. Too many knee blowouts. I do do slow up downs, but to mid tension and mid tempo time only.

I don't spin much during the good weather when I am riding outside...but when I do, I am picky about the class I take. Hard to relax with hideous music, goofy instructors, and poor equipment. If all that is OK, it is easy to close your eyes, zen out, and get a decent indoor workout.

wow, it took me awhile to get through this thread but so good to read! I like spinning class but I had a few really really fantastic instuctors years ago and then unfortunately some poor ones lately.
    Like most of you it seems I just do my own thing. I know what my form etc. is supposed to be and I ride to my own beat. I feel bad sometimes because it is obvious that I'm ignoring the instructors for the most part....but maybe that is better than me getting off the bike in the middle of class and shouting "are you kidding me? you want us to do what? why don't I give you my knee now."

[QUOTE=Funhog;303909]I've got a long list for you!! In fact, I am in the middle of writing an e-book on the subject that will be called Keep It Real. I'll be marketing it through www.roadbikerider.com, and on my Spinning blog. (expected completion...end of summer). Of course, I come up with resistance from the instructors who actually think aerobics on an indoor stationary bike that doesn't move is good in the name of "fitness"...
    But we cyclists know it isn't!

This was a great post!!! Thank you. I usually feel like an "old grump" in classes when I refuse to do these moves. Many instructors give me the evil eye when I do my own thing. I knew they did not feel right and thank you for confirming my suspicions!!!!!

sorry jen, can you or someone further explain hovers to me? im just not picturing your definition for hovers.

thanks

I have to say that i thought I seen it all, but here's a spin move i saw for the first time.

the spin instructor was in position two then bends over at the waist forming a right angle and then takes her hands and places them behind her back. basically, bent over and balancing herself on the bike.

then when most of the class does not do the move she says something to the effect, it's not that hard to do, just get your butt off the seat.

i couldnt believe what i was seeing and especially hearing.

Well I thought that ^^^ was odd, but yesterday, I passed 2 cyclists going in the opposite direction. I was bombing down a straight descent, and this one guy coming the other way up the hill was leaning really far forward with his hands flailing out to the side (not on the bars). He was doing some weird balancing thing--outside, up a steep hill. All I could think of was that it looked like some weird spinning maneuver, only applied to the outdoors, IMO dangerously. At least I zoomed by really fast. To his credit, he wasn't swerving all over, but it looked really really really awkward.

Urgh! So I guess my spin instructors is one of the ones who does naughty stuff. Yesterday we did freezes and push-ups. As soon as she was like, "ok now we're going to do push-ups" I got a little scared about the rest of the class. I didn't know this was an official no-no until I looked through this thread but my body felt like it was a no-no when I was doing it.

What's the logic behind this? I know, while you're legs are moving at a high rpm, let's throw in some crazy new moves for the top half of your body! That way we can call it a full body workout!

I know I should just not do them, but it's hard in a class of 30 not to just give in. I don't want to look like a scrooge.
    "Live, more than your neighbors. Unleash yourself upon the world and go places. Go now! Giggle. Know. Laugh. And bark the the moon like the wild dog that you are!" - Jon Blais

Quote Originally Posted by firenze11 View Post
    I know I should just not do them, but it's hard in a class of 30 not to just give in. I don't want to look like a scrooge.
    IT'S YOUR RIDE
    Just because the instructor is a maroon in a room full of sheep doesn't mean you have to be one too.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager