Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Helmet Life?

Helmet Life?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My helmet is 3 years old and I want to replace it but do I need to? Giro's site says every 3 years, my LBS said about 5-6. I am inclined to believe the manufacturer or are they just trying to make more sales. I saw a 2008 Giro Atmos in pink (yes, I like pink) but stingy me doesn't want to justify the $170 for it!

DH says mine is getting old and I need a new one. My helmet does take a beating of 100+ degree sun and the foam looks fin but the very fron has a few surface cuts. Never wrecked with the helmet. Maybe I should just find a nice looking $60 one like I have and not be so guilty?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Here's a nice pink one for a good price
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...For-Women.html

Oh....I LOVE that one Unfortunately, I have a LARGE head.....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

5 years is what I'd always heard and it's still what the Snell Foundation recommends. I guess it's possible that a very lightweight helmet would tend to degrade faster? I think you're right, that heat and sun (and the additional sweat and sebum and sunblock that go along with heat and sun) would degrade a helmet faster, too.

WRT helmets I always figure better safe than sorry. I'd take the manufacturer's advice.

I have that pink Atmos ('07 model) The straps were really, really stiff and uncomfortable (and hard to adjust) for the first 500 miles or so. But it sure is light and airy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Badger- That is perfect but I don't think it will fit. Maybe one of the LBS sells that brand to test?

Oak- Yeah, I am thinking I should just get it. The 2008 Atmos is a darker pink but I can find the 2007 for cheaper. I also found the 2007 in a nice ice blue, my bike does have a blue thing going.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

08 atmos

I just got my husband a Giro Atmos from sun and ski sports for a great price. They have a large variety of colors(not sure about pink) but they were $129 with freee shipping. The best I could find anywhere was 175. Just for info.

Someone wants me to get this helmet! I got a coupon from my LBS for 20% off any item other than bikes and service. Makes it $10 more than Sun and Ski but I don't have to wait and I get to support my LBS.
    Amanda

WooHoo! Gotta say, I am a sucker for a sale or a coupon...the marketing people have me figured out... I will usually end up spending more since I am getting such "deals" than if I was buying things full priced

enjoy the new helmet!

Well phooey! My LBS had to order it for me, they only had a small and last year's in the slightly lighter pink. Still have to wait but I'd rather support the LBS than keep looking around for it. Hopefully it will be here by Friday!
    Amanda